IGNORED

Highway Pegs

lajazzlvr

I'm sure that this has been discussed many times before, but what is your preference, as far as, highways? I see a lot of Elf pegs at the various BMW sites, however, I'm really hesitant to attach anything to the head covers. I'm riding an R1150RT and the possibility of a potential leak makes me really nervous. Are you guys using anything besides the Elf pegs?

I'm sure that this has been discussed many times before, but what is your preference, as far as, highways? I see a lot of Elf pegs at the various BMW sites, however, I'm really hesitant to attach anything to the head covers. I'm riding an R1150RT and the possibility of a potential leak makes me really nervous. Are you guys using anything besides the Elf pegs?

The elf pegs are far and away the best. No worries.. they DON'T actually attach to the head. They are a pressure fit in the spark wire channel. No screws attach directly to the valve covers. Great product. Pricey, yeah, but great.

I love mine combined with the "backup" drivers backrest.I bought mine used but I'm not sure I'd have them if I had to pay full price. thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
The elf pegs are far and away the best. No worries.. they DON'T actually attach to the head. They are a pressure fit in the spark wire channel. No screws attach directly to the valve covers. Great product. Pricey, yeah, but great.

confused.gif There's a hook at the front of the elf peg, yeah, but there are two screws at the back that dig into the sockets where the original spark plug cover's rubber nubs used to fit. Any load applied by one's feet ultimately gets transferred through the valve cover bolts (and cover sealing surface) just as surely as if the valve cover bolts themselves were used directly for peg mounting.

That said, there's no problem with any sort of footpeg load borne through the valve cover and its bolts. I've had the Elf Pegs myself for the last 70K miles. Don't use them very often, but they're a great respite when needed. No leakage/breakage problems with the valve covers at all.

I purchased a set about 5000 miles ago for a trip to Idaho. They work very well and are sturdy. They dont look quite as good on the 1150 as the 1100. If you have very long legs you should try them out before you buy a set. Im 5foot 8 and they could be a little farther forward for me. You dont ,in my opinion, normally put enough weight on the pegs to cause any problems. Geno

Tried the Sahara pegs on my RT but was never quite comfortable with them due to the way they mounted - pinched instead of hard mounted.

Bought the Talons which mount via the cover bolts and used them almost exclusively on a trip to Utah. Took the Saharas off when I got back and might sell them if a friend is not interested.

See ya. Bill

Effervescent

I bought $50 used Talons off this site for my 1100S. The 1100S cylinders are sorta too high to really be a comfortable place to leave your feet for too long but it is nice to have various optione on long trips. I used them a handful of times on my last 300 mile Cape Cod ride. A bit ugly but not bad for the money.

And now for the pics no one wanted! lol

1156.jpg

1157.jpg

1158.jpg

1159.jpg

1160.jpg

-Eff

Thanks for all of your responses. This definitely makes me feel better, since none of you have experienced any problems. I certainly feel more at ease and will consider giving the elf pegs a try. Thanks again guys!

• 11 months later...

Archived