IGNORED

R1200RT and iPod - the FINAL answer!

gadgetgaz

R1200RT and iPod - the FINAL answer!

I have spent a good while now using an amplifier and the AUX input on the R1200RT on-board cd/radio. I wanted a less Heath-Robinson setup and I just knew there must be a way to do it. Here it is!

A UK company called Connects-2 make allsorts of OEM ipod connectors and there is one to fit the Becker radio on our bikes. It is here

http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?catID=27&manID=204&modID=528 click on the model CTABMIPOD007

It charges the iPod.

No more amplifier is needed!

The volume is as loud as the radio or CD.

It appears as a cd-changer and the AUX is still there after another button press. i.e. the sequence is radio-cd-cdChanger-aux-intercom-radio

The display just shows the cd number (which relates to a playlist in the iPod) and the track number.

You can move forwards and backwards through the playlists by holding down the handlebar "fwd" or "bkw" button. A quick press moves to the next or previous track within the playlist.

The "man" button enables you to fast forward through a track.

All the bits fit inside the radio box so it is all waterproof.

When you move out of the cd-changer mode the ipod goes into pause mode.

The adaptor costs £85 from Halfords and is stock code 770750.

There are some minor problems that relate to the bike display that I am working on but I hope this will put the iPod question finally to bed thumbsup.gif

Three questions: when playing music from the iPod, does the volume automatically go up when the engine is running at the hier RPMs; is it a pretty clean install (i.e. easy to install and doesn't look messy post installation); finally, think we'll have trouble purchasing it over in the U.S. (Chicago area). I have the radio/CD on my R12RT but I've been looking for something just like this.

elJay, in answer to your questions

1) Yes, the volume is still speed dependant

2) Yes, it is a totally clean install. Every part of the adaptor fits in the radio box. It is all on plugs and sockets and takes a matter of seconds (once the bike is stripped down and you know what goes where). The only visible part is the iPod lead. There is also an iPod cradle but I haven't even unwrapped that part as I don't intend to use it.

3) I don't know on this one. I only found UK adverts but I have mail-ordered from the US many times without problem and I don't foresee a problem the other way.

DARKSTAR,

This CTVBMX002 model from the same manufacturer might do the trick although you wouldn't be able to control the player from the bike's controls. It looks like it feeds a stereo signal into the cd-changer port.

ElJay,

connects2 website has the following information for US customers.

Company Name: Aardvark Multimedia

T/A Connects2USA

140 Gross Street

Suite 165

Marietta

Ohio

OH45750

Telephone: +1 740 374 8599

Fax:

Web Address: http://www.connects2usa.com

eMail: info@connects2usa.com

Unfortunately the link doesn't work but you might be able to call or write to them.

I'm using a Griffin Airclick remote and a Griffin Itrip fm transmitter with charger. It work great for me and cost me $60.

One question. Is the volume level the same for the radio vs the ipod? I am using the AUX input mod and had to put an amp in line to keep the volumes the same. tks

The radio recognises the ipod interface as a cd-changer and the audio volume is the same as the radio and the cd player, you do not need an amplifier.

The AUX is still available to the radio and you could keep your amplifier connected to the AUX and input some other audio source as well!

Good innit?

2 problems have come to light with this option so beware for the time being.

1) The bike's display of track number and playlist number cannot be relied upon. It only reports that 3 tracks are in the playlist so, when playing track 2 the display shows "CD1 TR02". A push on the next track button (on the handlebar controls) advances the iPod to the next track in the playlist and the display shows "CD1 TR03". However, a further push advances the iPod to the next track but the bike display reverts back to "CD1 TR01". I have discussed this with the technical team at connects2 and they confirm this is normal behaviour for the unit and is the same as a car fitted adaptor. They say it is due to a limitation of the iPod.

2) More worryingly, my iPod freezes when riding the bike after a few minutes requiring a reset. I cannot confirm whether this is due to the adaptor or whether it is due to the fact that I have stuck the iPod in the glovebox. Previously I had it in my tankbag. This could be due to vibration or electrical interference and I need to do more testing. It does not freeze when the bike is in the garage with engine switched off.

Re: The iPod locking up.

I am fairly sure this is NOT anything to do with the adaptor. I have tested the system with the iPod in my tank bag (as I have done for months) and also with the iPod in my pocket (but still connected). The system works flawlessly (apart from the irrelevant display that seems to be normal behaviour for the unit).

Therefore the locking up problem seems to be due to vibration because of it being in the glovebox, even though it was seated on foam rubber pads.

johnlt, I have no knowledge of XM radios because we don't have such a thing here in the UK. The specific adaptor that I am referring to is only for iPods. They do a model specifically for Sony music players as well.

A scan of their website might reveal a suitable device that would allow it to plugged into the radio but I doubt you would be able to control it from the bike's buttons.

I would advise checking out the BMW K1200LT forums because those guys have the same radio and there is quite a bit of discussion on lashing things to their bikes.

I believe the term they use is "farkle fest" smile.gif

gadgetgaz:

I just took delivery of my 06 RT today.... I have no use for the CD player as I want to use my iPod. As a newbie I have been reading the posts about attaching the iPod. Some refer to using the AUX input.

Question time:

1) Can I remove the CD and just use the iPod?

2) Is the amp integrated into the CD player rendering question 1 moot?

3) If the amp is not intgrated into the CD player, where is it?

Thanks in advance

BMWGoFast,

For the solution that Gadgetgaz recommends you will have to keep the cd player. The Head Unit as it is called in radio lingo contains the controls and amp for the rest of the system.

--russ

Gadgetgaz,

I installed an amp and run the i-pod though the aux. The i-pod was housed in a protective sleeve resting on the CD player. After having numerous i-pod crashes, took me 3 months to realise, I relocated the i-pod to my tank bag with a cable into the CD box.

NEVER CRASHED SINCE.

Regards

Spiro smirk.gif

spiro

I am going through the same procedure. I don't want my tank bag on all the time so I WILL make it work in the cd box. I am 90% there.

I don't have a radio fitted. My ipod is connected to my autocom intercom system. It is all tucked away in the tail, with the autocom velcro'd to the roof just in front of the tail light. I have a kenwood walkietalkie + ipod wrapped in bubble wrap and strapped to the seat frame, Only problem is I don't think this place is 100% waterproof, but it works fine. I use a rf remote to control the ipod. I just have to remember to select what play list i want before I tuck it all away. I can change track/ volume but not play lists. don

• 4 weeks later...

I've just ordered this unit from the BassBin and the process was simple and smooth. I await delivery. Worth mentioning though, that I have been using a 4G iPod mounted to the handlebars via a Ram mount product, it is very secure. Using a FM transmitter now, but want to provide power and a direct connection to the radio system for best sound quality. Unfortunately, my iPod has begun locking up after a few minutes as you mentioned here. My suspicion is shock and vibration is doing in the iPod, corrupting something as a result, and causing the iPod to hang up. I'm thinking that somehow I need to provide some type of mount that provides a bit more shock absorption to prevent the lock ups. Any input from others welcome.

How do you have it mounted? I bought an Aquabox for my iPod mini and it's lined with foam so the unit should not vibrate while in the box. I'm sure it will still get a fair share of vibration overall so I'm worried about leaving it on there for extended periods.

bobdc, good luck with the installation. Let us know how you get on with it.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that the issue of the iPod locking up is one of engine vibration. The closer the iPod is to the frame of the bike the worse it will be. When I put it in my tankbag it wirks perfectly all day long, the tank bag gives it about 20 inches of cushioning.

I have had some success with sitting it on foam rubber but have never managed a perfect solution.

I need to try various kinds of rubber, it needs to be very soft indeed and I haven't got any lying around at tghe moment.

Of course, this is no problem for iPods that do not have a hard drive inside.

The 5th gen 30GB video that I have fits snuggly in the glovebox above the radio and this is where I really want it to be. See it in the picture.

730672-small-ipod-in-glovebox.JPG.5401db6d20ed8a21849bd8d120774cac.JPG

Gadgetgaz,

I've just read this thread, and I'm very interested. I just searched here in Oz for a supplier, and the only one I can find appears to want AUD $349 for this thing. Does that sound right? My Ipod only cost a few dollars more than that!

And, does the thing come with full instructions, or do I have to work by feel?

Thanks,

Dave.

Well, I FINALLY made up my mind and decided to order the CTABMIPOD007 with a company called NEXIA but wouldn't you know it, Nexxia says Connects 2 is out of stock! Meanwhile, there's another thread called "Ipod adapter for R12RT" that's using a BMW iPod adapter for a car model to do the same thing (I think). Would love to know your thoughts on this, Gadgetgaz.

PS: if you don't find it, do a search on "325i" going back to July 2006 and it should show up.

Thanks.

dnyman,

The Connects2 adaptor costs 85UKP and that equates to 211 of your dollars. There are full instructions with the device but it is really simple, you don't need them. The only thing that you could get wrong is where to plug in the audio plug and which way round to plug it in. I suggest you look at my photo at the beginning of this thread.

ElJay,

I have read the other thread about the BMW car adaptor and, from the description given by 'comet' it offers exactly the same functionality. The only difference I can see is that you have to move some pins with the BMW one but don't have to with the Connects2 one. Oh, and it seems a lot more money (but what more do you expect from BMW?).

• 3 weeks later...
bobdc, good luck with the installation. Let us know how you get on with it.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that the issue of the iPod locking up is one of engine vibration. The closer the iPod is to the frame of the bike the worse it will be. When I put it in my tankbag it wirks perfectly all day long, the tank bag gives it about 20 inches of cushioning.

I have had some success with sitting it on foam rubber but have never managed a perfect solution.

I need to try various kinds of rubber, it needs to be very soft indeed and I haven't got any lying around at tghe moment.

Of course, this is no problem for iPods that do not have a hard drive inside.

The 5th gen 30GB video that I have fits snuggly in the glovebox above the radio and this is where I really want it to be. See it in the picture.

Hey gadgetgaz,

Have you found a solution to positioning the ipod to avoid freezing? The best thing I've found is foam rubber (like light mattress rubber), but I need to wedge the ipod between two fairly thick layers to make it work OK when I place the ipod near the frame.

Also, I notice in your picture that the underside of the glove box lid on your bike is flat (apart from the packing patch I suspect you placed there to protect the ipod). My bike has a clip on the underside (about where your packing patch is), probably designed to hold a penlight torch or something. Did you remove this from your bike, or was it not there? The problem I am having with my ipod photo is that I can't fit the thing in on top of the CD, as this clip is restricting the available room when I close the lid. Like you, this would be the ideal placement for the ipod.

Dave.

I cut it clean off! I could see no useful function for the thing and it makes a lot more room above the cd player.

I am still experimenting with foam rubber and haven't found the ideal solution yet. If only the ipod was a tad narrower.

I cut it clean off! I could see no useful function for the thing and it makes a lot more room above the cd player.

I thought that might be the case. It's only plastic, I take it?

I've been experimenting with bubble wrap as a cushioning material. I have fashioned a crude envelope for my Ipod photo to sit in, and I place it at an angle, towards the front of the bike in the glove box. So far I have had no Ipod lockups, but I've only done about 100km, so time will tell.

How I make this permanent is a bit of a worry, though. Bubble wrap tends to expire a bit too quickly. I'll send a phot if it ends up working OK.

Dave.

Archived