IGNORED

Higher Wattage Light Bulbs & Running Lights

moshe_levy

All-

Sorry for yet more newbie questions. I finally got my

service manual! I see my 2004 RT has

55W H7 type for low

55W H3 type for high and fogs

I am thinking of how to increase lighting performance and conspicuity. On my old Sportster, I could do this simply by slightly increasing the wattage of the bulbs used, in addition to the usual stuff like a modulator, etc. Some bikes have marginal harnesses, however, and going higher in wattage leads to problems.

What's the consensus on the RT, as far as adding higher wattage bulbs?

Further, from what I have learned thus far, one can turn the signals into running lights by either using the Run-N-Lights or a Kisan Signalminder. The Run-N-Lights seem to have the advantage of using common 1157 type bulbs, which of course can then be upgraded to 2357 type, again as I did on the Sportster using http://www.theherd.com/articles/bulbs.html as a guide. Quite a difference without that much more draw. Any comments?

-MKL

If money is not the object I would buy HID lights to replace the bulbs in place now. I know there are many on the market that are "Plug & Play". I think Aerostitch.com sells them.

As for the running light conversion. Be careful not to get one that makes the rear turn signals glow all the time. Amber to the rear that is on all the time is illegal in some states. I did the double fillament bulb conversion using the city light (small light in the headlight) as the power source on my S bike. Works great. Any auto parts store sells the bulb socket. I think mine is GM.

Hope this helps.

My .02

PoPo

Moshe: I ride an older '98 RT and ordered an Eastern Beaver headlamp relay wiring harness for my bike that along with an upgraded H4 bulb (same wattage) increased my lighting nicely. I realize you have a newer RT with different bulbs but perhaps you too can put in one of those headlamp relay wiring harnesses. It was a little over $50 I believe. Do a search for eastern beaver on google. I know that others riding RT's have upgraded their bulbs to higher wattage bulbs. I'm sure others will weigh in here with some more suggestions. I believe that the eastern beaver headlamp relay wiring harness gets rid of some of the voltage drop, so you are getting more voltage to the headlamp. I don't have any experience with altering the running lamps. I do know the prior owner of my bike somehow rigged the back amber lamps to be on at night- whether that's illegal or not I don't know, probably is.

If you don't want to spend the bucks for HID,go with PIAA replacements. They have higher output,& burn white,not that ugly yellow.

thier all I use. thumbsup.gif

If you don't want to spend the bucks for HID,go with PIAA replacements. They have higher output,& burn white,not that ugly yellow.

thier all I use. thumbsup.gif

HIDs are usually not yellow, but bluish. The fog light description relates to the pattern of the beam (15 degrees I think). Driving lights have a narrow beam (8 degrees)

John Dickens

There are lots of options these days. My choice would be to go with the new Xenon bulbs. They have the same power and current draw as normal halogen bulbs but produce much more useable light. (A claimed 50% in some cases)

I'm using them in my headlight and my running lights and they DO make a difference.

Archived