IGNORED

Dismounting bike with bakup backrest...

Mdcruiser

A silly question, perhaps, but I was wondering if it is difficult to get off a bike (in my case, the R12RT) equipped with a Bakup back rest? On long trips, I notice that I barely clear the seat (just avoid scuffing the hard bags) when dismounting toward the end of the day. With bakup, are special contortions required?

If I were you,I'd put the bike on the side stand before dismounting. That way,when you catch your heel on the Backup,as you invariably will,you'll avoid the pain & embarrassement of needing someone to lift your beloved RT off your left leg. eek.gif

Does anyone dismount without putting the kickstand down first???? Anyway, stand up on the left footpeg as you mount/dismount. It will give you the extra height to clear your backrest.

This is how I used to dismount my KLR650. It was a tall bike and it had a small topbox which forced me to swing my let even higher to get over it.

Yankee Dog

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, I don't have a back rest, it wouldn't do much good with the riding position on my bikes, grin.gif, but I frequently ride with a tail pack mounted on the pillion seat. With a little training, you can learn to bend your knee enough to clear. Of course, the Blackbird has quite a bit lower seat height than an RT so maybe not. The stand on the footpeg thing would work pretty well, I would imagine.

With a little practice you can stand on the pegs and do a back flip off the bike. grin.gif Seriously, I'm short and have no problem pulling my right leg through without scuffing the seat. thumbsup.gif

Blue Beemer Dude
Does anyone dismount without putting the kickstand down first????

I always get off the bike and then put down the kickstand. I guess I never thought to do this because the BMWs tend to lean over so far as it is, I don't need to be putting more weight on that side.

Anyway, stand up on the left footpeg as you mount/dismount. It will give you the extra height to clear your backrest.

Yankee Dog

Darn fine idea! Except if you are parked on dirt, sand or hot asphalt, of course.

Michael

I have a Utopia backrest on my LT which is comparable to the BakUp. It may be a couple of inches taller.

I definitely stand on the pegs; lots easier to swing my leg over the backrest that way.

Swinging my leg forward on mounting is no problem but for some reason I feel a little awkward swinging my foot backwards on dismount. I have this vague feeling I'm going to kick someone.

Another dismount option that I use on occasion is to park the bike on the sidestand, stand on the ground on my left foot, and just pull my leg straight back. When my boot clears the saddle I fold my leg and sort of pivot until I'm facing the side of the bike, then put my right foot straight down. Harder to describe than to do.

This is probably not an option if you have a short inseam.

Archived