IGNORED

Blind Squirrel Finds Acorn

Dick

Earlier this spring I noticed an occasional rattle comming from the vicinity of the instrument panel. As summer progressed, the noise continued to become more frequent and louder. It was also speed related; very infrequent at low speed, the opposite at highway conditions.

I searched the board archives and also posted about the possibility of it being the speedometer cable. There was no vibration detectable to the touch on any of the instruments, but the noise abated when I pressed down on the cowling above the instrument panel. Perhaps something was loose under the cowling or the cable drive came loose or, whatever.

Since the dealer is about 100 miles away, I thought I would take off the windshield and cowling (1150-RT) just to make sure it wasn't something simple. Went and bought some Permatex for the screws and parked the bike outside the shed where I would perform the surgery. Then I took out the leaf blower and went into the shed to blow out the spiders and webs before rolling in the RT. Some of the debris landed on the bike so I decided to blow the dust off the bike.

As I approached the bike, I pointed the Stihl and pulled the trigger. What was that? Something seems to be flopping on my RCU shelf. Did it again. More flopping.

To make a long story short, the problem was the Valentine radar detector!!! Underneath the detector there is a thin plastic cover that goes over the serial number and it had started to delaminate. As time progressed, it gradually seperated causing more vibration as it flapped against the RCU shelf. It seems when I pressed my hand on the cowling, all I was doing was disrupting the air flow which would cause the vibration to stop.

WHODATHUNK?

Firefight911

Do you think this reasoning will pan out when I try and sell the wife on the idea that I need a new tool (leaf blower) to work on the bike??? dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Wow.......Scared me....I thought you were going to blow the RT over with the Stihl blower !!!

Phil.........Redbrick grin.gif

Do you think this reasoning will pan out when I try and sell the wife on the idea that I need a new tool (leaf blower) to work on the bike??? dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Your kidding,right? I mean,she's not even blonde. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

You mean you don't have one? How do you dry the bike after you wash it??

Firefight911

Air compressor!

Paul Mihalka

I go riding grin.gif

Archived