IGNORED

How to convert speedometer from MPH to KPH

DaveWL

On a 2004 RT, I'm assuming converting the speedometer from Miles/Hour to Kilometers/Hour is simply a matter of exchanging the facia inside the casing. Does anyone have experience with this conversion? Thanks.

Dave

I investigated doing the modification when I brought my RT to France from UK.

It's not really a practical proposition (imo) as the bezel has to come off -- not an operation for which it was designed (it's spun on as the final assembly operation ...). Initially I thought I'd wait until I happened upon a km calibrated one, but now I just use the GPS.

The original speedo is dual marked in miles and km, but the km scale is a bit small and not back-lit. Fulfills the legal requirement but isn't very practical.

Yes, I have converted both our 1100S's to kmh by changing the speedo faces. It was a dead simple job and the speedo and tacho needles just pull off. On refitting the speedo needle it was checked against the GPS for accuracy and adjusted as required.

The trip counters still count in miles, but who cares.

If you want a photo then that can be arranged.

How did you get on with refitting the bezel? My concerns were keeping it looking pretty and maintaining the weather seal.

Also, where to source a dial? A km calibrated speedo? Might as well just swap them ...

Anyway, I take a more pragmatic view these days. When in Rome ... wink.gif

Still, it inspired you to post! I think I've seen you on TF?

John Dickens

I had my 850 RT imported from Holland (km) to the UK (miles) and it turned out that a new speedo head was actually cheaper than some of the mechanical or electronic convertors on the market. It also sorts the speedo and the odometer at the same time.

John,

Where did you get the new speedo head? I want to go from miles to km., and I can't find a sourse. Was it Motobins?

BMT, I had no need to remove the bezal, on the 1100S the speedo inards come out from the back of the unit. I got the new faces from ebay.de.

I had thought of new speedos, but at around 40 euro for 2 kits compared with hundreds for complete new units, I soon put that thought out of my head.

Bob T 24580

That's because you have R1100S -- electronic speedo in a one-piece instrument housing.

The RT has the latest in mechanical, cable-driven units ... crazy.gif

(And we certainly don't want any of those self-cancelling indicators!)

John Dickens
John,

Where did you get the new speedo head? I want to go from miles to km., and I can't find a sourse. Was it Motobins?

It was changed by the importers and they gave me the spare, so since I have exactly what you need sittng here in my hand and it's of no use to me whatever you may as well have it for free.

Email me your address and I'll post it off to you.

Be quick as we're going to Venice in 6 days

Archived