IGNORED

Hello from Fairbanks ! (Alaska trip update)

Doug 55

Many travels since the Dawson City post ... on up "Top of the World" highway from there, overnight side trip to Eagle AK, on to Fairbanks then up the Dalton highway to the Arctic Circle. Broke off to go solo from our original group of 4 upon return to Fairbanks and have been getting caught up on business, rest, local attractions etc. before heading off to Denali tommorow.

Weather has gone from the inital week plus of "perfect sunny" to a mix of gray skies with occassional showers, some overnight rain and some sun breaks.

I just booked an inland passage return ferry trip leaving from Skagway next Saturday arriving Bellingham Monday AM.

Lucky to be still traveling today instead of in the hospital after a close call this AM - had, literally, a split second to jink right and get avoid someone taking their LH turn before my straight thru at a Fairbanks intersection eek.gif

Hard to keep up with download, posting etc. of all the pics but here are a few:

Route map (yellow markers are overnight stops)

82149312-L.jpg

Additional of Salmon Glacier (Hyder AK area)

80259482-L.jpg

82141995-L.jpg

82141998-M.jpg

82141997-L.jpg

Dawson city:

82144551-M.jpg

82144556-L.jpg

82144558-L.jpg

82144559-L.jpg

(LOL, I think tourists are the "Yukon Gold" these days ;-))

Eagle Alaska:

82149317-M.jpg

82159387-M.jpg

82165047-M.jpg

82149319-L.jpg

The mighty Yukon:

82159389-L.jpg

Top of the World highway

82149316-L.jpg

Roadside moose in later travels

82149321-M.jpg

82159393-M.jpg

Details of route to Arctic circle:

82149313-L.jpg

82165048-L.jpg

Had to camp at the Yukon about 1/2 ways up ... found this footprint at the spot I first started to set up my tent tongue.gif

82165053-M.jpg

82165052-L.jpg

82165051-L.jpg

82165050-L.jpg

82165056-L.jpg

You are killing me...I leave in 2 weeks, flying into Fairbanks and picking up a bike (Goldwing actually) to ride back to California.

Looks amazing!!!

Enjoy the boat ride home....

Absolutely AMAZING. I can't possibly know how that really looked as photos never do it justice. Just phenominal though.

M

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Nice Doug. I like the pipeline S-turning through the purple flowers. And the B&W glacier shots look like an ocean wave. Very cool. Be safe out there! wave.gif

I've enjoyed your ride report and pix, Doug. Good on ya for packing a long enough lens (and sharp enough too) to capture the moose's eyelashes. Since I haven't been riding much for the second summer in a row (working on the Girdwood cabin) your photos are pleasant reminders of what I'm missing outside.

I am impressed that you made the detour to Eagle. I've much preferred that city to Chicken and feel that all the "two week adventurers" who come up here and then rave about Chicken have no clue.

I also agree with the turn around at the circle sign instead of beating your bike up just to say you made it to the oilfields. The most scenic parts of the haul road (with the exception of Atigun) are south of the Brooks Range anyway.

Take Care,

Dave

re: Bama Rider

"The red container on the rear gas or water ?"

Gas - first time of trying that and it has ridden well including the dirt / gravel / washboard portions (note rack is a Givi modified to fit on RT style box)

re dhb:

"Good on ya for packing a long enough lens (and sharp enough too) to capture the moose's eyelashes."

12X zoom on a Canon Powershot S3 - the moose was very near the road though

"I am impressed that you made the detour to Eagle. I've much preferred that city to Chicken and feel that all the "two week adventurers" who come up here and then rave about Chicken have no clue."

It was an interesting experience, I was traveling with a group that wanted to go there; probably wouldn't have done the (approx.) 120 miles dirt round trip if I had quite realized that was the route. Definitely agree that Chicken is a non-event tho !

Doug,

Dang, I sure do enjoy your pictures! thumbsup.gif What an adventure.

Glad to hear that you are doing fine and avoided the left-hander. Have a good trip home.

Rod

PS, Julie thinks your pictures are great, too. This was said with a bit more enthusiasm than when she looks at my pictures. confused.gif

Good stuff Doug!! That second glacier one reminded me of the wallpaper I had in my bedroom when I was younger (way younger)!! grin.gif

Pat

Man that is awesome!

I've read about the ride your on in a couple of books and you're doing it...So cool!!!

Thanks for sharing your adventure!!

Archived