IGNORED

Ideas for repairing mounting hooks on side cases?

DavidEBSmith

DavidEBSmith

So somehow, either from the big-ass bump I hit today (that also banged the swingarm against the bottom of the Wilbers preload reservoir) or just from chronic overload, I noticed that one of the hooky-things from which the right side case dangles is broken off. (I have the broken-off piece). So I've been mulling over ideas for repairing it.

It strikes me that conventional glues, like epoxy, probably won't work because they won't stick to the plastic that the bags are made of. I've had good luck, structurally speaking (but not aesthetically), fixing bag lids with PVC pipe cement, which dissolves and chemically welds the plastic together, but I don't know if the inside of the case is the same stuff. I'll have to look at again in the daylight, but I think it would be tough to screw the broken piece on, because I would essentially have to run the screw lengthwise through the tab. I was thinking, however, about drilling holes in the two broken halves and inserting pins made of some sort of metal rod, to provide some structural stability.

Any great ideas out there?

Of course, I could just get the inner part of the bag, which should run about $100 at Chicago BMW (Beemer Boneyard doesn't have any listed) and swap the lock mechanism.

On a side note, does anybody know what size screws I need for the bag lid hinges? I have a set of city cases, so I can just swap the big lid onto one of those, but I'll need to pick up an extra set of screws and nuts at some point, and the set from BMW lists at like $15.

Ya know, as cheap as I am, I'd probably just save the hassle of fixing it, and the risk of losing the side case and contents (if it breaks again), and just replace the inner case (or components as available).

From my experience, once these sort of things have snapped they can never be trusted. I think you should bite the bullet and get a replacement. How about E Bay, they are regularly for sale on there.

Archived