IGNORED

Evaluation of 1200 RT after 2 week 4000 mile trip

New1200RTRider

New1200RTRider

I just got back from a wonderful 2 week 4000 mile trip from Los Angeles to Banff Alberta Canada and wanted to write my impression of the new 1200 RT. I purchased the 05 1200 RT back in Februrary and have had 3 trips on it including the 4000 mile trip to Canada. I have had Harley's and Japanese bikes but the BMW is the best so far.

Absolutely no mechanical problems, always started right up in the mornings and ran perfectly all day. The handling and comfort of this bike is just outstanding. I met a guy on the road that had 28000 miles on his 1200 RT without one single problem. The average gas mileage was 50 MPG and it only used a half a quart of oil. I have seen alot of post of people complaining about the new RT having alot of problems but there are alot of us who have had no problems at all.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Just recently returned from a trip from MN to Alaska and back. Wanted to get a picture of the signs at the beginning and ending of the Alaska Hwy. Went with a MN State Trooper friend who was riding a Buel XB9. We left Fergus Falls, MN on Friday at 0400AM, arrived in Alaska Sunday at around 1800PM, and were back in MN Wednesday at 1800PM, also via Banff. clap.gif What a fantastic ride. Both bikes ran perfect with NO problems at any time. I did find out that the electronic cruise control shuts off when you hit a 2 foot frost heave at speed and go airborne. I assume that must be a safety feature. Used Metzler Z6's and had good tire life remaining when I returned. thumbsup.gif

I have seen alot of post of people complaining about the new RT having alot of problems but there are alot of us who have had no problems at all.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm glad your RT is working out so well for you. While I'm no so naive as to turn a blind eye to the problems some people have reported here, it's always worthwhile to remember that such reports on an on-line discussion board are not the equivalent of a statistically representative study. They're simply anecdotes.

If you read a lot of posts over an extended period of time, you can probably develop a feel for a product's weak points and the areas of potential concern, but I'm always a little surprised when people see a few posts about a problem and conclude that it's a widespread issue.

Actually, my perception of the hexhead generation of BMWs is that they appear to be pretty well sorted out. Undoubtedly we'll hear about more mechanical issues as the hexheads begin to amass a few miles, but, overall, they seem to be performing pretty reliably.

I did find out that the electronic cruise control shuts off when you hit a 2 foot frost heave at speed and go airborne. I assume that must be a safety feature.

I haven't experienced this with RT, but if I go over a large enough bump in my Audi TT, the cruise control will cut-off. Must be sensing a sudden change in wheel spin.

CopsRT and NewRider,

These sound like great trips. I'm more modest -- 3000 miles in the first 2.5 months of ownership of my R12RT, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Nevada and California. The bike is perfect in every way. Just got back from a weekend trip (450 miles), averaging 56 mpg. [Rode in the morning to avoid the 98 degree heat hereabouts).

The bike has been flawless so far. Cruise control conked out when it was new, but it turned out the throttle cable was loose -- fixed at the break-in tune up and has been flawless ever since. I cannot say enough good about this bike.

As others have indicated, we only seem to hear about the problems. With the advent of the internet, if a spark plug is fouled in Maine, folks in Singapore will know about it within 20 minutes and we all know that the more often a story is told the more inacurate the translation tends to be.

Well, I got bugs on my RT after only a 500 mile weekend trip. I'm very disappointed that this bike is so prone to getting bugs on it especially since I always ride between them. I suspect there will be a software upgrade and recall on this..... grin.gif

Might be a regional thing down here.

I ran across Florida (Miami to Ft Myers)the other night and those stupid bugs were also present and seemed particularly enamoured of my windshield! You'd think they'd all be asleep at MIDNIGHT , right?

AD

mountainred

I rode to sandpoint Idaho last weekend. I averaged 58 miles per gallon and burned 4oz of oil for a total of 2170 miles.

Archived