IGNORED

Options for Very Large Touring Shield for 2004 R1150R

moshe_levy

All-

The GF and I are starting to form a list for the things the bikes will need as we prepare for or cross-country adventure next year on the oilheads. Her R came with BMW's "touring" windshield, which honestly is only slightly larger than a simly fly screen. What we need is a true full size shield forthis trip. So far, I have only found Parabelum offering anything full size. Does anyone know of anything else?

Other additions will include system cases, possibly a top case as well, and lighting upgrades up front and out back. That should do it!

Thanks in advance.

-MKL

My friend has the plain touring shield from Parabellum and loves it. Works very well. Cee Bailey has one, but you must use the stock mounts. Parabellum supplies mounts

no personal experience, but I have read on the R1150R site that an Aeroflow with optional tank wings is about the most protection you can get.

Are you sure it came with the touring screen? That one is actually two sizes bigger than the fly screen. BMW makes the tiny fly screen, a medium sized sport screen, and the "swoopy" touring screen. I liked the touring screen on mine. I also had a Laminar Lip that attached to the touring screen for even more wind protection. It worked well, but I only put it on for long trips because I didn't like the look.

Here's a photo of the touring screen on the bike:

1483892Smallerbikeindunes.jpg

And here's picture of the tank wings. I didn't have them, but I have heard good things about them. As with the laminar lip, I'm not crazy about the look but if it works...

1461000Tankwing3.JPG

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks Mike - yep, that's the screen she has. Terri (my GF) needs something even larger. The concern is purely functional, as we're planning a cross country trip and she wants some serious protection for those long days in the saddle.

-MKL

Shawnee Bill
Thanks Mike - yep, that's the screen she has. Terri (my GF) needs something even larger. The concern is purely functional, as we're planning a cross country trip and she wants some serious protection for those long days in the saddle.

-MKL

If you have a shield much higher than that you'll be looking through it instead of over it. Most prefer looking over rather than through a shield.

I've found that all the protection I need is the force of the wind knocked off of my upper body and head.

You may want to check into the Laminar Lip, you can buy it for less than $100 new. It might suit the need for temporary extra protection quite well. I really like the hand guards on mine too.

As you get a bigger shield you will have more back pressure and buffeting. She might actually be more fatigued by back pressure over a few hours than by leaning into the wind with a smaller shield. The wind sort of holds you up at just the right angle on the R. Just a thought.

If you are comparing the wind protection of the R with the RT you will never be happy with the R. I kept adding more protection to the R until I finally switched to the RT. Now, of course, I miss lots of things about the R. I need multiple bikes!

Have a great time on the trip,

Mike

Archived