IGNORED

Plastic Key, 3 metal keys no good

LordHumongous

LordHumongous

First off Hello all.

I picked up my R1200RT last week. When I went to first take a look at the bike and put down a deposit on it, The metal key ( 1st ) did not work. The dealer said they would order a new key from BMW. A week later when I picked up the bike the new key ( 2nd ) did not work so I was told that they would order another key. Got a call Friday that they had received the new key. I rode the bike there to make sure that the new key ( 3rd ) would work and NO DICE. It works the side bags, top case and glove box but not the ignition. So now they are ordering the 4th key. I was wondering if anyone else here has had problems with there keys and how long did it take to get the problem solved? I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with my ignition. I think this might be my first warrantee issue.

I had quite a time getting an extra metal key for my bike.

Readers Digest Verson:

Although not as many re-tries as you had what happened to me was the first time BMW sent the wrong key (and the dealer knew it and told me so). The second time the sent a key that didn't fit. Didn't turn in any of the locks. The third one was perfect and worked.

Long Story:

Ordered the key when I bought the bike in February. Parts guy got fired and my order didn't get processed. Pick up the bike mid-march and no key. Sales guy follows up and apologizes, key gets ordered. Wrong key gets sent. Dealer advises me so and deals with BMW. BMW decides to cancel the order without telling the dealer. I follow up, dealer calls BMW, BMW Canada says that keys cannot be made for that model of bike. Dealer goes ballistic and shouting match ensues on the phone. After some discussion BMW agrees that a 2005 isn't too old and a key should be available. Key is ordered special delivery. Key arrives and its the wrong key. New key is ordered. Key arrived at my dealer the last week of June. I picked it up and it worked. It only took from mid February to the end of June to get a key that was supposed to be there in early March. Its a good thing it was intended only for a spare.

Me too. I lost my metal key about 4 months ago. I put in an order for 2 more keys and as of today I have not gotten 1. Same issue here. Dealer got key and it was the wrong type of key for the bike. I am really amazed at how difficult it is to get a spare key. This is not rocket science. I know it is BMW's fault and not my dealer. We pay so much for service, parts, etc.. and they can't get me a god damn replacement key. I have been using the plastic key for 4 months!! When I get the 2 keys I ordered, I am going to put in an order for 1 more. Then I will hopefully never have to go through this again. At this point, I will just settle for 1 working metal key for now. This high security key thing is a real pain in the rear. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Ah yes. Remember when BMW used a nail? I had a friend make some spares with a little grinding . Took all of 5 minutes, no dealer needed. grin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Took all the fun out of reaching over and yanking your buddies key out of his headlight just before the group took off from a light when they changed.

I forgot to add 1 thing in my post. The fact that they cheap out and only give us 1 metal key with a bike of this caliber is inexcusable. I mean jesus, hike the price of the bike up $50 and supply us with a standard amount of keys. Even my Harley came with 2 metal keys. Add to this the fact that it seems impossible to get a replacement and it just plain sucks. Not something we should have to deal with when spending this kind of money. The lack of a better toolkit fine, but just give us 2 keys. eek.gif

LordHumongous
Not something we should have to deal with when spending this kind of money. The lack of a better toolkit fine, but just give us 2 keys. eek.gif

I'm picken up what your dropping....

$20,000 Motorcycle and the keys don't work.

But besides that it has to be the nicest thing I have owned bar none.....3 Harley's, 1 Suzuki, 2 Kawasaki's, 1 Buell, 6 Honda's

Man I love this BMW.

thumbsup.gif

FWIW, knowing the bike only came with one metal key, I ordered one with the bike. Got it no problem when the bike was delivered. Took 2 days from dealer order to delivery of key from BMW Canada, and yes, I did try it. Not sure what this proves, however!

LordHumongous

It's worth a lot thanks for the feed back it gives me hope..

I just got back about 10 minutes ago from a trip to Idyllwild and Temecula from Sylmar were I live. Averaged 54 miles to the gallon and put 340 on 1 tank full of gas. I can't believe the range on this bike!!! When my buds had to stop the 2nd time they they asked me " Your not going to get gas?" they got pissed when I said "No man I still got 1/2 a tank".

I got to say it again, man I love this 12RT

Not something we should have to deal with when spending this kind of money. The lack of a better toolkit fine, but just give us 2 keys. eek.gif

My dealer, John Valk BMW, keeps the plastic key (so he can fed-ex it to me if I ever loose mine) and gives every buyer a 2nd metal key as part of the sale.

The keys have mini-mag strips inside the keys (BMW called them "electronicised"- and metal keys can short/damage each other with close contact... don't store extra keys on the same key ring..keep separate..and don't run them thru any store alarm tag deactivators...

Bad keys direct from MB - if the idiots had more than one boke key on order - in poly bags banded together - sure there could be problems.

They are not "hi-tech"....but "mid-tech"... I have 3 metals and 2 plastic ... why be thrifty after paying $17K plus..and they are electronic in wrong pocket wrong place...blewey

LordHumongous

Bad keys direct from MB - if the idiots had more than one boke key on order - in poly bags banded together - sure there could be problems.

The keys that have had the problems have not been electronic problems, at least we never had the chance to find out since they do not turn in the ignition.

Still no word on when I will be rceiving my keys. If this plastic one breaks I am screwed big time. This really is an inconvenience that we should not have to deal with. I love this bike (05 RT) and will never get rid of it, but this is the last BMW that I am going to buy if this key issue does not get resolved quickly. confused.gif

And to boot, when the keys do arrive I expect that they will not work. I hope they do but am quite sure there will be some sort of problem. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I bought my R1200ST 6 Aug 2005 and on 9 Sept 05 ordered a Spare metal key. On 9 May 06 Cancelled for non delivery changed dealers - 60 days no key - cancelled. Called Ride West in Seattle They got the key in 2 Business days!! works! (have to jiggle it a bit)I have to say that few dealers know what to do (I wrote BMW )

There was a comment about the plastic key breaking - has anyone had this happen? I would expect the problem, if anywhere, to be when using it on the bags. I like the metal better but a lot of plastic these days is pretty tough.

One plus for BMW's version of these pain-in-the-neck coded keys. My 2003 Ducati had coded keys and they gave you 3 with the bike. One was to be kept a very safe place because if you lost all three you couldn't get a replacement, you replaced the computer for $$$$. At least the BMW keys can be replaced based on the code the dealer has.

Incidentally, I have 1 metal key and 1 plastic - both came with the new R12RT.

LordHumongous

I received the 4th key today FedEx from dealer...

open the package with much excitement, went strait to the garage and no dice......... After some mf's, gd's and other choice words I got out the plastic key and compared them. What I found was when they cut the keys, the small endmill they use made a little burr after each hump in the key. After deburring these areas with a small jewelers file then working the key in and out, while turning it back and forth it finally started to turn the ignition on!!! Now I finally have a metal key that works. I think I need to order another one so that I have a spare.

I guess sometimes if you need something done rite you have to do it yourself.

I hope I did not void my extended warranty because I don't have the receipt for the tools and supplies I used ( just kidding). tongue.gif

Hmm, all this talk of a spare key has my interest at an all time high level for something so mundane.

I think I'll pop in (or probably call) the dealer and see if we can come up with a spare key (that should have already been there).

Let's hope I don't wind up with the troubles that several here have experienced!

Now that I think about it, my dirt bikes all had two keys, the Harleys all had two keys, and my OLD, OLD, BMW had two keys, not including the phillips screwdriver, which also worked.

AD

Hmm, now that I think about it, everything that I have the uses keys has more than one, except this new R12RT!!

Chuck Hatcher
...What I found was when they cut the keys, the small endmill they use made a little burr after each hump in the key...

What!?! You mean they don't really use a laser beam to cut the "laser cut" keys? Now I really do feel cheated!

Just an update to my key situation. My dealer said the key was ready to be shipped, but now the registration that I gave them 4 months ago when I ordered the key had expired. They would not ship the key until my dealer sent them a copy of a current registration. I mean that is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard of. Not the dealers fault. I mean I had to send them a copy of the title and my drivers license. Now watch, when the key finally comes it will not work. My dealer is being extremely helpful but they keeping throwing bullshxx at him. dopeslap.gif

I think they just call keys laser cut to try and impress people. The Mercedes and BMW auto keys that they call laser cut have clearly been cut with an endmill. Yes, it's with a CNC (computer numeric control) mill, but I'm sure I could duplicate one with a old fashioned manually controlled mill. I don't know if the keys have any electronics in them or not.

Maybe the reason new BMW's come with one key is because they gave out too many with the older ones. When I bought my 04 RT new at the dealer I got about 8 keys. 2 Have the rubber coating on the handle and 6 just have the metal handle.

Well I am happy to report that 2 metal keys have been delivered to me. After almost 5 months I have metal keys once again. No fault on the dealers part. BMW really needs to step up on the key issue. 2 metal should be a bare minimum for any motor vehicle. clap.gif

Archived