Final drive leak

jojo

there is a leak through the final drive rubber boot. what is more likely to be the culprit? output shaft seal or rear axle seal?

Thanks

George

there is a leak through the final drive rubber boot. what is more likely to be the culprit? output shaft seal or rear axle seal?
Could be either but most likely to be the input/pinion shaft seal on the final drive. Some oil seepage at this point is very common and the general consensus is that if the leak is small (a few tablespoons of oil found in the boot) then best just to leave it alone. You can go to the trouble of replacing the seal but that doesn't guarantee that it won't just start leaking again before too long.

I had one alike in my late R1100RS. Every now and then (especially after long high speed run) I saw dust stuck with oil on the bottom of final drive unit - behind the rubber. I checked regularly the oil-level in gear box and final drive. Never noticed anything missing... So I guess the amount causing that "visible leak" was really small.

I asked many guys (and also Beemer-dealers/maintenance) and all commented: "Just let it be. If it will get more serious and you see oil disappearing from gear box or final drive - then it is time to react. It is normal to have couple “spoons” of oil in the rubber.

I have the same issue on mine and recieved the same counsel from this board a while back. Last time I was in Salt Lake I stopped in at http://www.motorcyclerandr.com/ to ask them about it and was advised to let it be. It's a common problem and a major failure is very rare; I was also told that if fixed, I couldn't be guaranteed the problem wouldn't represent sometime.

Check your final drive fluid level every now and then and as long as you're not loosing much don't worry. On mine it looks like a lot more is leaking out than really is. It does distress me sometimes to see it -- oh well.

Archived