IGNORED

R1100RT luggage

Foxy

Anyone replaced the BMW standard side cases with some other make of hard bags? I have become increasingly disenchanted with the BMW side bags on my R1100RT that I bought used 2 years ago. They seem rather flimsy compared to the BMW bags I had on my earlier BMWs (R80 & R65).

Foxy

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

What don't you like about the side bags? Have you had a chance to compare them with another set of 1100RT bags? Mine have held up the abuse I put them through for the last 6+ years. I suppose you could fit some Givis or cobble together a mount for Jesse or Touratech bags.

Well, it's mostly my fault but when I first got the bike, I loaded a fairly heavy bag with some papers from work in the left side bag. I wasn't tinking when I arrived at work and when I opened the left side bag the bag with papers fell out and against the outer half of the hard bag. It broke the plastic mount on the inner half of the hard bag that holds the elastic strap connecting the two hard bag halves. Stupid of me to overload it first of all and then to let the bag "flop"open resulting in the break. However, I was just amazed that the plastic mount was: a) so small and weak; and b) there was no way to really effective replace it. My R80 hard bags had a metal hinged strap and were held on the inner and outer halves of the bags with rivets that I think could be replaced. Anyway, I cobbled together a repair on the R1100RT bag and it held for about 6 months until yesterday. It involved superglueing a metal washer to the inner bag plastic mount to provide a complete surface on the mount and then reinserting the plastic mounting pin through the inner mount and the end of the strap. Don't know what caused the repair to fail again. Didn't overload the case and nothing fell against the outer half as before, just opened the bag to find the repair had come apart. I guess my options would be to: A) try the same repair again; b) find a whole new inner half of the left hand case either new or used; or c) buy a whole new bag. Went to Beemer Boneyard and currently the 1 or 2 left inner halves they had were sold. Other than the strap mounts the BMW bag seems ok, but regardless of load, the two halves seem to deform easily and the locking system drives me nuts -- nice to have a single key for ignition and bag/top case locks but having to completely lock the cases when you close them can be a PIA sometimes (the old R80 classic cases could be closed without locking them and the mounting locks were separate from the case locks -- I found this a much easier arrangement when in the act of packing and/or transferrring stuff from one case to another while on the bike). So....that's why I was investigating alternatives to the BMW bags. From what I've been able to research so far, my options on the RT are a lot more limited than say with the GS since several companies make aluminum and other aftermarket bags. I even inquired about whether bags like the Jesse or other adventure touring bags were available for the RT or might be in the near future but no such luck. I'llprobably try to find a replacement left inner half and muddle through till then.

But thanks very much for the reply!

Foxy

ShovelStrokeEd

I use a pair of Givi E360 side bags and an E460 trunk with rack on my Honda.

Makes packing a dream as the overall capacity is 126 liters (2x40+46) and the bags are smooth and nearly square. Weeks on the road with no more than the side cases packed and about 1/3 of the trunk leaving room to put my tank bag in the trunk on extended stops.

I'm pretty sure Givi makes a Wingrack for your bike which allows you to mount any of the Monokey bags. Mine are keyed alike but I carry all three keys with me so I can easily open all in the hotel room. 2 seconds/bag to remove from the bike and, if I'm just out for a day trip, I can substitue one of the 360 bags on the tail rack and use it for a trunk. A very versitle system with the slight penalty that they are not as sleek and fitted looking as factory bags. I gladly sacrifice that for carrying capacity.

Well, if you go with aftermarket cases, you still have the key issue, perhaps you can get the locks changed to match the ignition key?

As far as the straps go, just be careful as you open them, IMO the BMW side cases are a great fit (style) for the bike and quite complimentary. You may try repairing the strap with a 'pop rivet' tool. I recently broke the mount on my top case, by picking it up fully loaded from the hotel bed (but the lid wasn't latched) and all my belongings 'snapped' the mount right off as the top flipped open. One Pop Rivot, strap to mount good as new. Maybe try two straps, one on each side, Pop rivot to lid and base and there you go thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived