IGNORED

Batteries

LocoOper

It is time for a new battery, what options do I have. Gel, BMW oem, what are some good aftermarket options. I have a 99 RT without any extra electrical goodies except Hella 55wt. driving lights.

Ditto Odyssey. If you put it in sideways, you don't need an adapter. Remember to reset the throttle.

Isn't this on the Taboo Subjects thread? grin.gif

Stan Walker

IIRC, the throttle reset is just a matter of twisting it full open followed by full closed with the key on and the engine not running

Not needed on the 1100's

Stan

It is time for a new battery, what options do I have. Gel, BMW oem, what are some good aftermarket options. I have a 99 RT without any extra electrical goodies except Hella 55wt. driving lights.

Panasonic LC-X1220P, replace it every 4 years. I've been using these AGM batteries since 1995 on all my bikes. Digi-Key is the best place to buy them as they have free shipping but they are out of stock currently.

Mick

Tucson

Panasonic LC-X1220P, replace it every 4 years. I've been using these AGM batteries since 1995 on all my bikes. Digi-Key is the best place to buy them as they have free shipping but they are out of stock currently.

Mick

Tucson

Taking Mick's advice, I installed one of these recently in my Roadster. DigiKey is out of stock until October, I believe. Best price I could find was through Amazon.com -- $50 for the battery and $10 for s/h. I did have to drill out the holes on the posts ever so slightly. It was one drill bit up in size, so it is probably 1/32".

The battery arrives fully charged and ready to install.

Don't get burned by dubious vendors who are selling substitutes for these batteries. I was.

Bob,

What is the manufacture date on that battery? Panasonic made the holes bigger about a year ago. I've not had to drill the last two I bought.

Mick

Tucson

Mick,

I don't know, and I am not looking. But I know that at least one of the bolts I am using is not an OEM bolt, so the problem could be with my bolt.

Ditto Odyssey. If you put it in sideways, you don't need an adapter.
You don't need an adapter if you install the battery in the normal orientation either, or at least I didn't. The existing cables in the bike were plenty long, you just need to flatten out the 90-degree terminal lugs on the bike with some pliers and everything works out fine.

Archived