ABS Fault Finally Cured.

John Dickens

John Dickens

My ABS faulted in France last year. At first it responded temporarily to a re-set but after a few weeks it would fault every time the ignition was switched on.

I read out the fault code with a multimeter as detailed on this site. It was Code 3, front wheel sensor.

I checked the sensor resistance at the connector and at the ABS multiplug and it measured up spot on.

At this point I began to suspect the ABS brain although people on this BBS suggested that, from past experience, it could still be the sensor.

As usual you were correct. I finally coughed up for a new sensor and the ABS is now fine.

Changing it is a game though.

The old sensor came out fine. I cleaned up the shim pack and mounting faces and fitted the new one in a couple of minutes. I tested it and then spent about 45 minutes routing the wire along the original clips and retainers. It goes roughly twice round the bike before it finally comes to rest.

John Dickens
My ABS faulted in France last year...

The sensor detected it was in France and surrendered? wink.gif

Now that's not nice! cool.gif

John Dickens
Just wondering if the little bugger tried to head-butt you while you were wrestling with it........... grin.gif

No, but for some reason I've come away from the experience with a number of new scrapes scars and minor wounds. Do they have a man who designs and places sharp bits in strategic places around the bike?

I had somewhat similar problems. Mine would fault as soon as I hit a bump. Based on suggestions from this board I suspected the wiring. Finally, I followed the wiring from the sensor to the brake lever and clipped every cable tie along the way. Since then, it has never failed. I don't really know why.

Just wondering if the little bugger tried to head-butt you while you were wrestling with it........... grin.gif

No, but for some reason I've come away from the experience with a number of new scrapes scars and minor wounds. Do they have a man who designs and places sharp bits in strategic places around the bike?

Yes, they do. He's also the guy that figures it's all OK since he covered it in tupperware.

B

Archived