IGNORED

"again" the whole R1100 RT Fuel filter in the fuel tank "thingy"

Zot

I'm asking for "input" concerning the the advantage of repositioning the fuel filter, from internal to external of the fuel tank.

I've done the research concerning the "pro's" and "Cons",and I have to say that I thought that there were arguments to support both sides,although I would probably side with "remote" mount argument just because the internal filter is such a PITA to replace.

My confusion started when I saw how fine the weave is on the pickup tube sock in the tank, making an inline filter almost redundent.

In my opinion the "one bad tank" of fuel that will clog up your inline fuel filter,will have also plugged up the pickup screen, forcing the removal of the fuel pump/pickup assy. anyway. Any Thoughts.?

confused.gif

The fuel filter element is much finer and much more prone to clogging than the filter sock. The filter sock is designed to protect the fuel pump from larger debris but it will still pass stuff that could clog injectors, thus the necessity for the finer (and fussier) inline element. Both filters are necessary but I don't think that there needs to be any concern about the fuel filter sock clogging.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The fuel filter element is much finer and much more prone to clogging than the filter sock. The filter sock is designed to protect the fuel pump from larger debris but it will still pass stuff that could clog injectors, thus the necessity for the finer (and fussier) inline element. Both filters are necessary but I don't think that there needs to be any concern about the fuel filter sock clogging.

Also, water won't clog that sock, but it will clog the filter.

Since you list a R1100RT I would say that the pendulum swings towards the external mod. Since you don't have to pull your tank for EVO brake bleeds, putting the fuel filter outside makes it easier to swap if you get a load of bad gas. Just be sure to tighten those clamps on the internal lines securely! DAM(itch)HHK!! dopeslap.gif

Oh, and be careful how you route the external lines near the throttle bodies! DAE(ebie)HHK! grin.gif

. . . or rondob4 about proximity to the throttle cable "Y". smirk.gif

BTW, I assume you've already read through this thread? grin.gif

John Dickens

I converted mine 4 years ago and have had no reason to regret it (yet).

My filter is behind the offside rear panel next to the remote shock pre-load adjuster. A filter change takes 5 minutes tops.

Use proper fuel injection hose and good quality screw clamping hose clips. Take care with the routing of the hoses around the injectors. They musn't interfere with the movement of the throttle cables or quadrant.

I've come ful circle on the subject, having orginally done the mod. Now I think, with all the millions of vehicles on the roads with in-the-tank filters that never have any issues, moving it is a solution looking for a problem.

I think you are confusing "in the tank fuel pumps" for "in the tank fuel filters." My wife and I have 3 pick-up trucks, 2 Blazers and all have "in the tank fuel pumps" and the fuel filters located outside the tank. Also the larger fuel tanks on cages/trucks have a better chance at dispersing water contamination over a much larger volume than a smaller motorcycle tank.

DavidEBSmith

If I lived in someplace as remote as Fort Assiniboine, Alberta, I would definitely do the external fuel filter mod. How far are you from the nearest dealer who can swap out a fuel filter? How much gas to you buy at remote stations that might have old gas or poorly maintained tanks? How far would you have to walk if your bike died because of a clogged fuel filter?

It would be nice if some engineer worked up some sort of metal hinged device that would hinge open to accept the fuel filter on an external fuel filter mod. It would have to close with some sort of mechanism that locks both halves together. It would have an entrance hole and exit hole for the fuel hoses. Some sort of external sheathing would also be good to go over the existing fuel injection hoses so that in case of contact with something they would not abrade. 1) Wouldn't some sort of metal casing/ guard around the fuel filter protect it somewhat during a crash?

2)Or how about redesigning the bmw bikes in the future with an extra compartment behind the airbox- big enough to house the fuel filter and allow accessibility? Again, the fuel hoses would have to have some sort of secondary sheaths around them like stainless steel brake line hoses.

3)Then again, maybe my cancer meds are making me loony! dopeslap.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
It would be nice if some engineer worked up some sort of metal hinged device that would hinge open to accept the fuel filter on an external fuel filter mod. It would have to close with some sort of mechanism that locks both halves together. It would have an entrance hole and exit hole for the fuel hoses. Some sort of external sheathing would also be good to go over the existing fuel injection hoses so that in case of contact with something they would not abrade. 1) Wouldn't some sort of metal casing/ guard around the fuel filter protect it somewhat during a crash?

2)Or how about redesigning the bmw bikes in the future with an extra compartment behind the airbox- big enough to house the fuel filter and allow accessibility? Again, the fuel hoses would have to have some sort of secondary sheaths around them like stainless steel brake line hoses.

3)Then again, maybe my cancer meds are making me loony! dopeslap.gif

Sounds like gross overkill to me. I'm only aware of a few burned-up R-bikes around here, and none of them was due to abraded fuel lines or ruptured filters.

If I lived in someplace as remote as Fort Assiniboine, Alberta, I would definitely do the external fuel filter mod. How far are you from the nearest dealer who can swap out a fuel filter? How much gas to you buy at remote stations that might have old gas or poorly

maintained tanks? How far would you have to walk if your bike died because of a clogged fuel filter?

Thanks for the concern, but I have actually never had a "bad fuel" issue, other than with my Gravel truck which was due to some dirt that was already in a used fuel tank that I had installed. The nearest BMW dealer is in Edmonton,a two hour drive which really doesn't matter since I do my own wrenching.

I will be doing the "remote" mount because I would hate to "bugger" up the fuel sending unit during a routine filter swap. thumbsup.gif

I think you are confusing "in the tank fuel pumps" for "in the tank fuel filters."
Naw, virually all new Ford, Chysler, Toyota, Honda, BMW, and probably many others, have in-tank FILTERS these days. Including the new hexhead series BMW bikes by the way.

Well, I'm glad my American company, American built vehicles place the fuel filter where I can replace it without removing and invading the fuel tank. They have a sock filter in the tank and the real filter mounted externally for ease and sensible maintenance. cool.gif

Well, I'm glad my American company, American built vehicles place the fuel filter where I can replace it without removing and invading the fuel tank.
All gas-powered Dodge vehicles have used in-tank 'self cleaning' fuel filters (in place of inline filters) for several years.

Archived