IGNORED

R1100R windshield?

T__

Gentlemen, I need a little help from those who have (or have seen)..

I purchased a 1995 R1100R (that has the smaller headlight) & am looking to install a new windshield.. It now has a F-15 on it.. Personally, I am not very happy with that particular windshield..

The wind buffeting is driving me crazy, so my question is: What works the best (as far a windshields go) for the R1100R?

Next question is: what works the best (or fairly good anyhow) & still looks good?

I guess what I am asking here is, does anybody have a windshield on their early R1100R that they like enough to recommend?

Thanks in advance……….Twisty

The small fairing I installed on my '96 R1100R doesn't provide much wind protection, but it contributes to better handling than the BMW windshield I removed.

web page R1100R003.jpg

Geoff, I saw your fairing work on a previous post.. It looks real good,, problem is, that is just a little too small for my needs.. Thanks for posting because this is the kind of info I am looking for..

If I get enough feedback here (doesn’t look too promising at the moment) I can probably save myself some time & money by eliminating what doesn’t work right up front..

Twisty

Bill, thanks for the input.. I have been prying around on their web site but can’t seem to locate what I am looking for, for the early small headlight bike anyhow.. Is yours on the early 1100 or the later 1100 bike?

Twisty

Shawnee Bill

Bill, thanks for the input.. I have been prying around on their web site but can’t seem to locate what I am looking for, for the early small headlight bike anyhow.. Is yours on the early 1100 or the later 1100 bike?

Look under "All Sport Shields (SS)" then Page 2 of Sport Shields, it's the 3rd from the bottom.

I have a large headlight, but an early bike model (1995), no instruments except a speedometer. I you have any doubts call them and give them the actual diameter of your headlight.

I bought mine on ebay, direct from Parabellum, they put them on from time to time. It was just a little less than the standard price on their website.

One other thing, I tried a "laminar lip" on mine last year to try to reduce the wind noise. The only noticeable effect it had was pulling rain down onto my face shield, didn't like that so I sold it, personal choice.

Bill, Twisty

Check out JC Whitney. They have a number of fairings and windshields that fit the R1100R (with 7-inch headlight). The products are made by National Cycle and Maier.

My wife's 2000 had the aeroflow windshield on it. Great big thing! It decreases the MPG a bit, but the coverage is almost as good as what i have on my '04 RT.

YMMV

sc

Shawnee Bill

Twisty1,

Have you seen the thread on V Stream Windshields?

Look them up, they look pretty good.

But they don't show a listing for the older RR bikes. If I were in the market for a windshield I would give them a call. From the picture it looks like the R1150R model might fit or be modifiable to fit well.

NewtomeR850R

I'm looking into getting the wunderlich classic windshield, they make it in smoke and clear. Santa cruz has the wunderlich catalogs you can download and check them out.

I also have a small headlight (manufactured before 1/1/97) oil head Roadster just like yours. I reviewed just about every option available. There seem to be a few extra options for the post 1/1/97, larger headlight models.

1. Here is what works great for me:

stock BMW windshield for this bike plus that amazing Laminar Lip. This whole set up is clean.I am 5' 11" andI know that personal configuration can make a difference. BTW, I added GS hanguards for more wind and weather protection.

2. After I found this solution, Cee Baily started making windshields for the smaller headlight Roadsters as well as the larger, later Roadsters. In fact , I had a conversation with them to clarify the model year differences. I believe that they use the stock BMW mounts. Also a clean solution.

3. You might try Aeroflow, as they have a windshield/fairing setup and they are also well aware of the smaller head light/larger headlight distinction.

Thanks for the input guys.. That information is exactly what I was looking for.. Unfortunately I was hit hard in the rear today while stopped in traffic (typing this with my left hand) & pretty sure it is totaled.. Blew the rear suspension right out of the bike & bent the front end clear into the engine.. I seem to be OK but sore about everywhere (even hurts to breathe)..

Unless I get lucky & find another low mileage R1100R I will probably get a R1100RT as the frontal protection seems to be better on those..

Thanks for taking the time to reply here..

Twisty

Archived