IGNORED

R1100 RT difference between 96-2000 model year

Grayrider

I'm in the market for an RT. Due to budgetary constrains I'm looking for a used 1100 RT. I've found several bikes that I'm interested in but I want to know what is the difference between say a 96 year model versus a 2000 model. Am I correct in assuming that there is very little difference or not.I've found three bikes that I'm considering, a 96,99, and 2000. The 96 is the cheapest but I want to make sure that its the same as the 2000 before I purchase the bike. Looking forward to your input.

There really weren't any truly significant changes in the 1100RT over its production range. There are a few minor differences in the 1996 model, probably the biggest being it using a slightly earlier generation transmission than the later bikes. No real significant difference there either, but there were a few issues with the early ('96 - mid '97) RT transmissions, one being a leaky front input shaft seal on a certain run of units (that probably would have been fixed long ago on any bike you would be looking at) and also premature shift fork wear in some units, resulting in a tendency to seem to 'skip a tooth' (brief power hiccup) after shifting into (usually) second or third gear and applying power. I wouldn't consider any of this of great concern as only a relatively small number of units were affected, and as a balancing factor the early bikes for some reason seem to be much less likely to experience spline or final drive problems even in spite of high mileage. But when looking at an earlier bike do run it through the gears and verify that all is OK. Also, the '96 also lacks the PITA throttle cable junction box which is to my mind a pretty big advantage.

But all in all, I don't think there's enough differences between the years for it to be a major factor in a buying decision. Just look for the best deal you can get after factoring in price/mileage/age.

Thanks guys. I've been dong some reading about purchasing a used RT and wanted to know what I should be looking for as far as mechanical issues. I saw something about the seals saying that if the bike had not been ridden in long time problems may have developed with the seals in the bike. Does that hold any water?

I don't know of any specific problems with any specifc seals, but in general it is not a good idea to let any motor vehicle sit idle for too long a period of time. In this case I would mostly want to be sure that the fuel system is in good shape, and also check operation of the RID (Rider Information Display) fuel gauge as the fuel sender has been known to get flaky under long storage conditions.

Just curious as to how many miles does the '96 have that you are looking at? Do the other bikes have significantly less mileage?

I was able to pick up my '96 RT in 2005 with 36K miles. The tranny shifts excellent and it has been great for 11/2 years so far.

also premature shift fork wear in some units, resulting in a tendency to seem to 'skip a tooth' (brief power hiccup) after shifting into (usually) second or third gear and applying power.

I bought one of these bike that had the shift fork problem. If you test ride keep the RPM's low and go through the gears. Mine Hiccupped between 2-3k. It feels like a hiccup also. I noticed it almost as soon as I got the bike home. I called BMW of Atlanta where I bought the bike, and they immediately fixed it no charge. Thumbs up to Bob of BMW Atlanta. Other than that problem the bike has been fine.

Alan

Archived