IGNORED

Lycra shorts/Bike Shorts question

pbbeck

A comment in another thread got me to start considering using lycra workout shorts or bike shorts or some such garment with flat seams while riding. My question is...

Do you have a preferred brand or vendor that sells such garments in sizes that will fit someone like me, who does not have the physique of a 14-year-old Norwegian boy? smirk.gif

Aluminum_Butt

I use Under Armor, and like it a lot. I wear a 2X, so I know they're available at least that big. I get them at my local Dick's Sporting Goods, but suspect they're available at other chains too.

My only complaint is that since they are smooth/slick (by design), the back of my shirt tends to ride up more than it does with cotton undies - less friction to hold it down.

I had a pair with soft rubber inside at the hemline that was supposed to keep them from riding up. I rode 700 miles in them on the first day, and had a mild allergic reaction to the rubber. I had a ring of blisters around each thigh.

If you are going to use such a product, try them on a short haul.

Do you have a preferred brand or vendor that sells such garments in sizes that will fit someone like me, who does not have the physique of a 14-year-old Norwegian boy? smirk.gif

Paul, one bit of caution before purchasing some of these shorts on-line: Some of the european brands use vastly different sizing. I wear a size 36 which is a LARGE in most brands of bicycle shorts (Performance, Pearl Izumi, Descente, others) -BUTT- Euro brands such as Castelli and Santini are two sizes smaller so I wear an XXL. My advice would be to try on the shorts! I would 2nd the recommendation to check out Performance Bike - you can get good shorts at a reasonable price.

I use the underarmor also.

I have a pair, find them confining. I usually wear boxers, so I'm going to get a couple of pairs of silk boxers to try. Silk doesn't absorb either.

Before you wear any, put some Glod Bond gold on your butt. Good for lubrication and has the medicated benefit.

I looked at bike shorts, but I don't need a pad, especially on my thighs, I have a sheepskin.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Let the "big experiment" begin. I went to REI today and got a pair of underarmour, a pair of ex officio, and a pair of REI's MTS boxer briefs.

I am sure you will eventually come up with something that works for you. May I be so bold as to say that many world records have been set and many Iron Butt riders have appreciated the LDComfort Riding Shorts. They are designed especially for the long distance motorcycle rider. In the end you will know what makes you comfortable. Riding comfort IS a safety issue.

Archived