IGNORED

Installation of tires purchased by mail order -- DC/MD/VA

Mdcruiser

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with any people who will do a quality mount/balance for new tires they did not sell.

Haven't purchased tires yet -- just planning for the future!

Cheers,

Michael

Well, I install tires myself that I buy mail order grin.gif

Seriously, a lot of shops (and certainly dealers) won't install tires that aren't purchased from them. The line I've been given is that there are liablility issues. Whatever.

On the other hand, there seem to be reports on forums like this of guys who have found indy wrenches who will do it for them.

www.BMWBMW.org is the webpage for the DC area BMW owners. We have tech days and many members that are always glad to help out. Several members are experienced at changing and balancing tires.
Paul Mihalka

Michael,

Battley Cycles installs tires supplied by the customer. No problem. You should have asked me first smile.gif

Paul

Thanks, Bryant. I actually am (was? can't remember the expiration date now that we no longer get BTS by mail anymore) a BMWBMW member, but it never occurred to me that tires could be mounted during the tech sessions (likely because I've never attended the tech sessions....). I guess I will have to become a more active member!!

So, there are no shops in the area that do this commercially? If I go retail, are tire prices identical at the 3 local dealers (Jessup, Gaithersburg, Fredericksburg)?

AHA! I didn't want to put you on the spot, Paul! Thanks for the useful info. I will price Battley tires and go there for the install (with theirs or with mine, either way)!

Up to 2300 miles now on my RT.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks, Bryant. I actually am (was? can't remember the expiration date now that we no longer get BTS by mail anymore) a BMWBMW member, but it never occurred to me that tires could be mounted during the tech sessions (likely because I've never attended the tech sessions....). I guess I will have to become a more active member!!

So, there are no shops in the area that do this commercially? If I go retail, are tire prices identical at the 3 local dealers (Jessup, Gaithersburg, Fredericksburg)?

There is a tire Tech day on Sunday.

http://bmwbmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4838

Looks like I'll be taking an overnight ride this weekend, to Virginia's Northern Neck thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the info, though. Won't need new tires, but it would have been nice to learn how they are put on, and to meet BMWBMW folks.

If I go retail, are tire prices identical at the 3 local dealers (Jessup, Gaithersburg, Fredericksburg)?

My local shop will install M.O. tires, but if you buy the tires from them, the discount the tires almost to, but not quite, the same as M.O. prices. I choose to pay the couple extra bucks with my dealer. Maybe $10 difference between m.o. and their price, and I'd rather see them stay open than a TireRack type place. grin.gif

C & L Cycle in Eldersburg will also install mail order tires.

Hubby had it done on his previous ride (SV650). Check out the BMWBMW site!! You've got a Darnestown neighbor, even.

P

Just wondering if anyone has experience with any people who will do a quality mount/balance for new tires they did not sell.

Myer's Cycle Engineering in Kensington, MD will do it - as much or as little as you want. In my case, I brought them the wheels off the bike and the tires. Not cheap so there's something to be said for the DIY option of a tech day.

Archived