IGNORED

Civilians taking police motor training

Turbodog

Anyone here ever taken any rider training program that was an actual motor officers course or one based on same? As a civilian I mean, not a police officer.

If so, where did you take it and did you think it was worth doing as a civilian?

A lot of schools are "based" on police motor school, but I have never actually heard of a civilian taking the course.

There are a lot of issues with civilians taking the course.

1. It is very common to have people hurt during motor school. Most schools are put on by a leo related agency. They don't worry about civil matters because anyone hurt while in the course would be covered by the agency they work for.

2. The schools usually last 2-4 weeks, and are expensive. Not possible for most folks.

3. Schools tend to tear the hell out of bikes.

4. In many jurisdictions, you MUST be a licensed LEO to take any LEO classes.

motorman587

I have done a motorman slow school for this rally two years ago and was invited back, so I would say people enjoyed it. It was basic on police riding and was 4 hours long. I made it so person did not drop their motorcycle, but it was different then the ERC. So, yes there are schools out there for civilians, but you just got to find them. Here is the link for the motorman school in NC. http://www.stcforriders.com/

Click on "what to do and learn" and you will see the motorman school, "if willing". I did not do it this year because of my twins.

Here are a few of which I know.

Alameda County (CA) Sherriff's Office

o Intermediate

o Advanced

"INSTRUCTORS: All instructors are POST certified veteran instructors from the California Highway Patrol, Oakland Police Department, Walnut Creek Police Department, and CMSP."

Now that sounds like a class worth taking. I would like an opportunity to learn from those guys (vs. some guy with an unknown level of experience and a jacket full of Goldwing Rider's Association patches, as might be found at some civilian courses.)

I know of no motor schools where civilians train with LEO's during basic motor officer training. Most motor officers would be uncomfortable training alongside a civilian. What you do have are civilian schools that have some aspects of enforcement riding training included.

motorman587

Very true and do think that people would put there own motor through a cop motor school. I think some would not make it either. Very physical, mental and tiring.

I'm sure all of the schools listed would be great schools, but they are not "actual" police motor schools.

Its not real easy to replicate several weeks of motor school in a day or two on a bike you actually care about.

yeah, yeah, yeah...

So when are you going to quit monkeying around and get the "Motorfiveoh Police Course for Civvies" up and running already? BTW, I will prefer one of your newer "class bikes" to thrash about on

grin.gif

wave.gif

yeah, yeah, yeah...

So when are you going to quit monkeying around and get the "Motorfiveoh Police Course for Civvies" up and running already? BTW, I will prefer one of your newer "class bikes" to thrash about on

grin.gif

wave.gif

Whats up! wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Northwest Motorcycle School class earlier this month. Have been riding 30+ years but figured there's always a lot more to learn and especially (for me) old bad habits to unlearn. Wasn't disappointed -- it was a excellent course, learned a lot and enjoyed myself.

Class is 4 full days (8 am - 6pm) and one orientation class the night before the first course day. Taught by retired King Cty motor officer and WA motor officer school instructor who knows his stuff and communicates it well. Course is challenging (and tiring) and is focused on slow speed work as well as emergency handling including escape strategies, countersteering and panic stops. Last day is an on course timed proficiency test plus braking/countersteering exercises. About half our our class (3 of 6) passed I believe.

Some exercises are intense -- we had a few crashes (no one hurt other than some minor scape ups)so bring your leather or textile w/ armor, gloves etc.

School bikes are older Kawa KZ1000 police bikes stripped of fairings, lights etc. They are thrashed pretty good in these courses. Bikes are dropped with some frequency so unless you really want to use your own bike, recommend paying the extra to use theirs.

Well worth the time/money.

Archived