IGNORED

Who makes the best carb sync tool?

Huzband

I use the TWINMAX sync tool. It runs around $90.

If you want to save some money you can build a manometer yourself. Steve F. (RightSpin) has posted some great instructions to build one HERE .

If you want to save some money you can build a manometer yourself. Steve F. (RightSpin) has posted some great instructions to build one HERE .

As well as being a money saver, differential manometers are self-calibrating and very accurate.

Andy

As well as being a money saver, differential manometers are self-calibrating and very accurate.

Andy

And dropping the TwinMax doesn't require the notification of your local HAZMAT disposal team.

Andy

And dropping the TwinMax doesn't require the notification of your local HAZMAT disposal team.

Water is Hazmat confused.gif

Andy

The original poster mentioned CarbStix, which generally refer to diff. manometers of the mercury variety. I missed the link to the water-based unit instructions :D

ShovelStrokeEd

Carb Stix, from Motion Pro or others, are not differential manometers but rather the common reservoir type. Either is adequate to the task. Using water will give you roughly 13X the sensitivity of mercury which really is too much as you can drive yourself nuckin' futz trying for that last inch.

Best bang for the buck is a slack tube manometer, 36" length is adequate. They are available from Dwyer Instruments for about 35 bux. You can also find them at places like WW. Grainger.

I have retired my Carb Stix in favor of a Magnehelic differential vacuum gauge from the same source but, that is a high end way to go. Did it cause I can use it in my work and get free annual calibration. Scale is 30-0-30 in WC. I built some snubber sections for my lines by slipping short sections of 10-32 threaded rod into portions of the lines and the gauge is nice and stable yet sensitive enough to bring the TB's into very nice synch.

Any other recommendations?

Yeah, give your thread a meaningful title so people don't have to open it to find out what it's about. smile.gif

Ok, I've yet to attempt a TB synch, but would like to try it myself. Does this plastic tube/brake fluid thing really work? Or would one be better off with a Twinmax?

Jeez,must be a slow day for ya there,Dave. tongue.gif

Not so much. Maybe it's being in the middle of the Calgary Stampede and getting roped at the airport. For real.

And speaking of which, my comment was serious. It's good discussion board courtesy to title threads so that people don't have to open them to skim the forum, and I thought I'd pass it along. No charge. tongue.gif

[Does this plastic tube/brake fluid thing really work? Or would one be better off with a Twinmax?

Yes it does. Advantage to a Twinmax is that it's small, and can be attached to the bike if you want to check the sync under load. The cheapo tube version is NON-mobile. More colorful, and can hang in your garage. cool.gif

Some people prefer the colorful fluid, and find it easier to read. Other people prefer the electronic TwinMax. Try 'em both, buy the one you like.

I've had CarbStix for >10 years....they're still sealed! blush.gif

Done a couple of TBSyncs, both times borrowed the Twinmax that was at the Tech Day. One of these days I'll get around to syncing the carbs on my airhead, at which point I'll probably set up the CarbStix. Maybe.

Maybe it's being in the middle of the Calgary Stampede and getting roped at the airport. For real.

Hey, I was just up at the Stampede over the weekend. Took in the Sunday night Chucks. clap.gif

Any other recommendations?

Yeah, give your thread a meaningful title so people don't have to open it to find out what it's about. smile.gif

Fixed by your friendly moderating team. thumbsup.gif

Just a note to all--this struck me the same way. Not a huge issue, but it's kinder to folks who are trying to navigate to threads of interest to try to make your post title as transparent as possible.

blush.gif

Sorry,folks. My mistake,& it won't happen again.

BTW Dave,I mistook your first post,but your point in your second post was well received.

Thanks,& apologies.

The primary advantage to a TwinMax - with the obvious exception that mercury CarbStix are potentially deadly - is that you can tape it to your tank and run the bike under load at highway speeds, adjusting the right side cable adjuster as you go.

Hard to do with pretty much any manometer.

Yeah, whatever vacuum measurement tool you pick, also get yourself one of Marc Parnes' throttle adjusting rings. They make getting a good sync much easier.
I'll second that. It's surprising what a difference that little gadget makes, allows for a much more accurate adjustment and cuts the time involved by half.

I've used both the Twinmax and like the Morgan Carbtune much better. It's much steadier where as the twinmax is jittery to say the least.

ShovelStrokeEd

Since this particular horse is pretty well beaten to death, anybody remember "synching" the slides on our old bikes using popcicle sticks? Worked pretty darn well as a start. A little touch to one of the top adjusters afterward and off we went to await, flat tire (tubes you know), broken chain, burnt points, failed light bulbs or whatever was gonna fall off those vibrating old Brit bikes next. grin.gif

Or the infamous rubber hose shoved in your ear as you oriented the other end to the front of each carb? Real precision there. grin.gif Then again there wasn't much time to fiddle with carbs after all the time spent monkeying with the Lucas electrics. blush.gif

Archived