IGNORED

Standardized FRS/GMRS channel

johnlt

Recommend we set a standardized channel for FRS/GMRS radios. Worked well at El Paseo.

How about channel 2. I plan to switch from CB to GMRS when I get within a few hundred miles

of ES in case I come across other enroute.

I'm sure some of you guys know better, but when I was having trouble with my chatterbox GMRS. The guy at CB told me the higher channels were the GMRS channels. I just got back to Texas after 5400 miles in Cal. and we used Channel 14 with a sub channel of 01. We never did hear any other chatter on the radio. Just a thought. I'm sure someone out there knows how these things really work.

I think what we've tried to choose was:

1) Easy to remember.

2) Was a common frequency between FRS and GMRS (there are only a few).

3) Not a sub-channel, since some people don't have the capability.

I am noticing more chatter on 2 than I used to, though, and it hasn't been m/co related stuff. Bill Hawkins and I were riding in Mexico a month or two ago, chatting away, and someone answered us in English! It was a missionary family in the village we were winding through. smile.gif

Channnel 1-7 and 15-22 are GMRS (1watt,longer range) channel 8-14 (0.5watt)are FRS.

GMRS require a FCC GMRS license.

Just to clarify that a bit, channel 1-7 are also FRS. We'd want to use something in that range. Older radios don't have the higher channels, and 1-7 overlap with GMRS.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived