IGNORED

ThrottleMeister issue

azkaisr

I noticed riding back home the other day that my Throttlemeister isn't holding the throttle anymore. I bought the bike with them already mounted and have no docs with them. The website doesn't have much either. Anyone have any advise/solutions/tips before I attempt to take it apart?

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

PS not sure if this would have been better posted in the Gear section so sue me.

More than likely its the grip/brake assembly that needs to be adjusted, not the throttlemeister. Sorry, I don't remember the exact location of the set screws - I think the '02 is different from my old '99 anyway - but its simple to loosen, slide outward a little and retighten.

You need to remove the plastic cover which faces you at the left end of the grip. I recall that there are 2 screws holding it in place, then loosen the allen head bolt which tightens the assembly to the bar and slide the ass'y a very small amount to the right. Check the operation of the Throttlemeister at this time and readjust if necessary. when you are satisfied with the operation, tighten the bolt and replace the cover. You will want to adjust the ass'y so that it will just hold the throttle. The heated grips will close the gap when they are used.

ShovelStrokeEd

Easy adjustment technique that has worked for me on many a TM installation.

Follow the advise above in re getting the throttle assembly loose on the bar. Then, with the TM fully disengaged, insert a credit card between the TM bearing face and the throttle housing. Slide the assembly over until the credit card won't fall out and tighten the throttle assembly.

The assembly will expand about 0.020" when using the heated grips and a credit card is thicker than that. Usual precautions apply and you should take care the first time you use the heated grips to be sure that the throttle doesn't bind.

Lone_RT_rider

I am also having a problem with the throttle meister, but of the oppisite effect. The screwy thing is engaging itself while I am cranking on the throttle in the twisties!!! It doesn't really happen if I am casually riding in along the back roads or interstates, only in the really curvy stuff that I have to work hard at. Any ideas?

Shawn

ShovelStrokeEd

It's those big ol' paws and perfect proof that you are too tight on the grips.

Try covering the brakes with two fingers and kinda working the throttle with your palm muscles around the same two fingers. Leave your pinky and ring finger loose around the grip. Works for me, although I tend to leave a bit of TM engaged most of the time. Smooths out the throttle transitions.

"I am also having a problem with the throttle meister, but of the oppisite effect. The screwy thing is engaging itself while I am cranking on the throttle in the twisties!!! It doesn't really happen if I am casually riding in along the back roads or interstates, only in the really curvy stuff that I have to work hard at. Any ideas?"

Bob's Wrist Rest. It engages in the opposite direction of the Throttlemeister. Much safer, IMO

Once you think the adjustment is right, turn your heated grips on high and let 'em heat up...your grips will expand with heat and you want to make sure they don't expand to the point that your throttlemeister can not be disengaged, it's embarrassing, believe me.

Some riders believe the throttlemeiseter should be used to lessen the grip to hold the throttle, and that when you let off the throttle it will still return to off throttle but only slower IMHO.

Archived