IGNORED

St. Louis to the Springs

mrzoom

After looking at a Mo. map I see lots of dotted scenic marked roads. Which ones from St. Louis are worth a ride?

Has anyone done I44 to Mo. Rt 19 down to Ar.?? This looks good and a right turn in Ar. over to Mt. Home then on to the Springs.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!!!!

MrZoom

02 "Rusty"

01 Freightlinner "Frankie"

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Falling Leaf Rally south and southwest of St. Louis? If so, you might check their website for their recommended routes. I've not been to their rally, but I've heard that the roads they recommend are great riding/driving roads.

Depends on how long you want to ride.

Hiway 19 is a great road and during the week, traffic shouldn't be too bad. If you want to string out the trip a bit, take 21 south to Potosi, then go west on hiway 8 to 19. (The site of the Falling Leaf Rally would be on hiway 8 just on the west side of Potosi) Take 19 south to 160 and ride it all the way across to 65. Take 65 south to 86 and then go west to 23. Take 23 south to 62 and then turn right to go to the Iron Horse.

I am from St. Louis, but we now live in SW Missouri for the summer months and Florida in the winter. When we ride back to St. Louis on the bikes, we avoid I44 whenever possible. There are usually construction delays and always several parts of the hiway that need work. If you go to the Missouri DOT site, you can probably get information on the projects.

If you take any of the roads I mentioned, definitely go to the MoDOT site to be sure there is nothing going on on them, or if there is, you have an alternate route. On any road down here, if you see a sign that says "Fresh Oil, Loose Gravel" slow down. You may be running into some fresh "chip and seal" and believe me, you don't want to ride through that.

I will be riding to St. Louis next weekend unless the weather is predicted to be lousy and will take the route that I suggested for you. If you want more specifics or some other alternatives, just send me an e-mail or PM. Will be glad to recommend some others as well with other interesting features - how about a ferry ride over Lake Bull Shoals? It's free and the road to it is excellent, in fact used by a local motorcycle tour company as one of their routes.

Let me know if you want more info.

Archived