IGNORED

Who is the Kanuck (the one who fixes BMW Transmissions)??

wedgeman

agggg... Somebody told me about a guy up in Canaduh who does a good job rebuilding Rbike trannies..

I lost his addy, and guess what, now my tranny is in a wad... dopeslap.gif

anybody know who I'm talking about??

BTW, Canuck is a somewhat derogatory term. I would avoid using it with him.

thx steve. I called him up some monthhs back, had a great chat with him, then conveniently lost the URL, phone#, and even his name.... arg, isn't old age a great thing.... dopeslap.gif

yeah, I knew it's a slang. sorry if I got your panties wadded over it. I'm probably a bit to un PC to operate in these parts. blush.gif

I'm sure Bruno won't mind charging me a dollar or two more for my cultural insensitivity.

Don't make us come down there! smile.gif

grin.gif

I'm headed your way in a few weeks.....where are you located? Perhaps I could stop and say hello.

I'm headed your way in a few weeks.....where are you located? Perhaps I could stop and say hello.

ruh-roh..... Don't think I'd do that if I were you... I here them Kunadiuns don'tt like us Yanks... they start lookin at us and say stuff like "eh" and "yah right there, eh", and besides it's cold up there..

I went up there one time, and it skeered me. Besides, who'd want to visit a place where the national mascot is a tree leaf?? crazy.gifcool.gif

groundeffect

At least our national animal is a.... Beaver! grin.gif

By the way, I don't know anyone who'd take umbrage with 'Canuk' ...now Canukistan...that's another matter altogether! ooo.gif

DavidEBSmith

yeah, I knew it's a slang. sorry if I got your panties wadded over it. I'm probably a bit to un PC to operate in these parts.

I'm sure Bruno won't mind charging me a dollar or two more for my cultural insensitivity.

Between this and the "I want a gun for people who throw rocks at my bike" thread, maybe we did get invaded by the AdvRider folks.

Personally, I've always thought that being proud of one's own cultural insensitivity ranks up there in the social skills with being proud of one's own farts, but that's just my insensitive opinion.

Well as one who does care about displaying cultural insensitivity I have to ask... is Canuck really considered a derogatory term by Canadians? I always thought that it was like Britons calling Americans 'Yanks', and while that term may have been meant to be derrogatory a few centuries ago I don't know anyone who would take the slightest offense at it now. But maybe I'm wrong about that... do Canadians take 'Canuck' in a negative way?

groundeffect

No! Definitely not!

Canuck was first use during WWll. The Brits were Poms, the Ozzies were...well just that.. the New Zealanders were Kiwis and the Americans were Yanks..and we were all Allies! Still are!

Nah, I don't know a Canadian who is offended by the term Canuck. And I hope the term Yank isn't a problem, or I would have to stop using it. confused.gif

And I hope the term Yank isn't a problem
Nope, not at all, or at least not from foreigners. When used by someone from the southern US it sometimes doesn't always have the most positive connotation, though... grin.gif
Isn't there a qualified person in the United States who has a good reputation for rebuilding BMW trannies?
I've read that Tom Cutter is good but I don't have any personal experience with his services.
Lone_RT_rider
And I hope the term Yank isn't a problem
Nope, not at all, or at least not from foreigners. When used by someone from the southern US it sometimes doesn't always have the most positive connotation, though... grin.gif

BINGO! Don't let anyone every kid you that the War Between the States is actually over. It is being fought on a daily basis with words down here. As a person born in the Midwest now living in the South, they will never let me forget that I am just a "Damn yankee". Please note the lack of capitalization on the word yankee. crazy.gif

Shawn

"Kanuck" with a "C" is OK,

"Canaduh" is extremely insulting and "anal", especially from someone that is asking for assistance from someone that comes from the very place that he has just "Dissed" frown.gif

Isn't there a qualified person in the United States who has a good reputation for rebuilding BMW trannies?
I've read that Tom Cutter is good but I don't have any personal experience with his services.
Actually, Tom sends them out to Bruno for machining. dopeslap.gif

Bruno moved his shop recently and was having a hard time catching up on the workload, but he is the best from all I've heard. The big thing is that he undercuts the gears for much improved shifting on re-assembly. Undercutting gears doesn't strike me as something for the faint of heart. thumbsup.gif

Personally, I've always thought that being proud of one's own cultural insensitivity ranks up there in the social skills with being proud of one's own farts, but that's just my insensitive opinion.
That qualifies as one for the bulletin board for the week. But, Eebie, it's so quintessentially American--and especially at the Fire House they're equally proud of both! dopeslap.gif

I swear sometimes it's like being stuck back in Jr. High School forever. Which is why I usually find this place a breath of fresh air! smirk.gif

Actually, Tom sends them out to Bruno for machining.
Hmmm... thanks... gonna make a note of that one... wink.gif
Hmmmmm . . . perhaps I should clarify this a bit methinks. In talking with Tom, he does the actual rebuilding, but he sends the gears to Bruno for the undercutting so that the trannies he rebuilds will shift like butter. I was very impressed with Tom's knowledge, experience and . . . forthrightness during a long phone conversation. He struck me as a down to earth guy and he's been doing this a LONG time and is very concerned with his reputation. He was also very helpful with troubleshooting my installation concerns while fitting the oilite bronze paralever bushings he sells. Leslie just loves her set and I've got to install mine soon. When I do, I'll try to take some pics and do a walk-through.

I don't know anything about Bruno's shop other than he's the dude for gear set machining (according to Tom and most other sources I've found on-line).

I have not sent our trannies in for rebuild work yet, so I have no affiliation with either of them--other than a satisfied customer of Tom's paralever bushings. thumbsup.gif

Stan Walker

Tom Cutter has been giving away free advice on the big list for many years now. His advice is both free and accurate so far as I can tell. He is a major asset to IBMWR, free advice from a working professional BMW mechanic!

I don't believe that I have ever met the man in person, just on the list. I don't believe I've ever heard a bad word about him or his work.

Stan

ShovelStrokeEd

""Cheesehead" is reserved for Wisconsin Natives."

And rightly so. As to the Canuk or Kanuk, well, it seems we are all right and wrong in its usage. I refrain from using the term with my French Canadian friends until we are at least a little bit drunk whereupon I get to reinforce my status as a dumb American.

BTW, Bob's BMW also offers a transmission rebuilding service. I think it is mostly for airheads but it wouldn't surprise me if they did later model transmissions as well.

Since I plan on bringing my '94 RS back from the dead over this summer, I may have to investigate further. It still has the original tranny in it and there were some serious issues with that particular gearbox.

We have personal experience with Tom Cutter... rebuilt the tranny on hubby's '94 R/RS. Nice job. We had access to a 'loaner' transmission so he wasn't out of riding for the duration of the repair.

If you wanna see the ugly pictures of the disassembled RS in our garage last summer, I can post the link.

Pam

Archived