Choosing a helmet

RT_Pilot

I’m curious, and maybe its been done here before, but what helmets do you like for comfort, noise suppression, cost, and looks?

I have a Nolan xlite, Shoei, HJC, and Z1R. The Z1R Stance is the cheapest helmet at around $120. I bought it on the fly, and it turned out to be the most comfortable and quietest helmet I ever owned. But now I’m looking for another that is at least as quiet or more than the Z1R but better ventilation.

But what do you folks think? I also have a com-system in my helmets, so mic placement is important to (I use ear-buds instead of speakers, so that’s not an issue).

Looking for a full-face, I’m not big on flip-ups, despite my ultra-noisy Nolan…

I've put 40k on my Shoe RF900...I love it...it's now old.. smells and looks awful..I'm on my third helmet in 30 days and hate all of them...Arai something...Shoe X11(2 sizes)

So when you figure it out let me know....

Whip

My Shoei is still pretty comfy, although the pads have worn to the point that it fits really loose now. BTW your RF900 is practically new compared to my RFR...

grin.gif

I have a Nolan "flip up" and I like it. As a retired motor officer, I used a 3/4 helmet for years and while it was comfortable, it was pretty noisy and when it rained, it hit me right in the face, even with the windshield. With the Nolan, I ride with it up most of the time, but when speeds rise, or it rains, I drop the front and carry on.

I like the flip up for talking, taking a drink, and if you have to sneeze, where does all the crud go if it doesn't flip up?????

This is my third Nolan over a bunch of years and have been pleased with all of them. The price is right, they're comfortable, fairly quiet, room for speakers, and they look nice. Just MHO Jeff thumbsup.gif

I used a Shoei RF700 for about 100,000 miles. My Arai Signet has about 70,000 on it now. They are both very comfortable and quiet. Except the Arai gets very noisy when the vents are open.

The Arai needs to be sent back to have the trim fixed. So I bought a Scorpion EXO 400 when I went through Dayton a couple of weeks ago. This is the quietest helmet I've ever owned. It also has fog free shields that are very easy to change. The inside liner is also very nice and the vents work pretty good. It's Snell approved and looks great. And all for only $129.00. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I bought a Scorpion EXO-700 last fall and it is very comfortable to wear. Vents well, but does rumble a good bit with the top vent open. Price is good and is Snell and DOT certified... DOT certified seems to be on everything from a batting helmet up, so I don't know if that is saying much. JP

If you can, try on a Shoei RF1000. Best ventilation of any helmet I've had. Nice and light, fit my head very well. YHMV wink.gif

I recently looked at the Scorpions, you guys really like those... that's good to hear, the sales person said he wasn’t impressed with them (he was very young). Of course he wanted me to buy a $800 Arai making that age old remark “what’s your head worth?”. When I returned home, I researched them, and found that many review writers really like them (the Scorpions), and called them a good deal.

Jeff, I have a Nolan X-1002 / X-Lite. I really like the idea behind it, but its way too noisy at freeway speeds for me.

I’ll have to take a closer look at the Shoei’s again since you guys still like them…

Thanks guys, anyone else?

Here's another vote for the Shoei RF-1000. I had a TZ1 before it and the 1000 is way more comfortable and lighter.

Whip -- it you liked the RF-900 maybe give the 1000 a try (it replaces the 900).

Alright, not to beat this to death, but I did go into a local bike shop today and tried on an Arai Quantum 2. This was one of the best feeling helmets I have ever worn (mind you I was in a store going 0 MPH). They had the Shoei RF-1000 but not in my size.

This is what I’m down to:

The Shoei RF-1000 or the Arai Quantum 2

The Arai retails for about $100.00 more the Shoei at $475.00, and I like Shoei, but check this out:

http://www.wilzgarage.com/servlet/Catego...1&total=160

(great price)

The Shoei gets high points everywhere I look, and the Arai gets the same but by a different legion of riders. I’m leaning towards the RF-1000. Does anyone have anything to add about the Quantum 2?

Thanks for all your input.

Alright, not to beat this to death, but I did go into a local bike shop today and tried on an Arai Quantum 2. This was one of the best feeling helmets I have ever worn (mind you I was in a store going 0 MPH). They had the Shoei RF-1000 but not in my size.

This is what I’m down to:

The Shoei RF-1000 or the Arai Quantum 2

The Arai retails for about $100.00 more the Shoei at $475.00, and I like Shoei, but check this out:

http://www.wilzgarage.com/servlet/Catego...1&total=160

(great price)

The Shoei gets high points everywhere I look, and the Arai gets the same but by a different legion of riders. I’m leaning towards the RF-1000. Does anyone have anything to add about the Quantum 2?

Thanks for all your input.

I have one and love it. It fits my head - which is round (& big).

It fits tightly but I can get past my er6is.

I had it on for a get off (unstrapped) and it stayed on for at least the first bounce.

The thing about helments is that you cant really go by anyone else's experience when it comes to comfort. Since everyones head is shaped a bit differently, helments will fit everyone a bit differently. The old thing about having an Arai or a Shoei head is true. The only thing to do it trapse on down to your local dealer and try them on until you find one that fits. Wear it around the store for as long as they will put up with you. If it is the slightess bit uncomfortable after this short test put it back on the shelf.

Yankee Dog

The Arai retails for about $100.00 more the Shoei at $475.00

You can get a Shoei for a lot less than that. I paid about $280 earlier this summer. Bought from this outfit

http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethelmets/helmets/shoei/opening.htm

Just be sure you have an opportunity to try one one someplace so you're certain of your size.

FWIW, Arai helmets cannot be sold online or mailorder, so steep discounts are very hard to find.

The thing about helments is that you cant really go by anyone else's experience when it comes to comfort. Since everyones head is shaped a bit differently, helments will fit everyone a bit differently. The old thing about having an Arai or a Shoei head is true. The only thing to do it trapse on down to your local dealer and try them on until you find one that fits. Wear it around the store for as long as they will put up with you. If it is the slightess bit uncomfortable after this short test put it back on the shelf.

Yankee Dog

Ditto...

FWIW, I purchase a Schuberth primarily 'cuz it's quiet -BUT- probably not the best reasoning as I'm always wearing hearing protection of some sort. Sure the Schuberth fit me perfectly and the flip down sunshield is awesome thumbsup.gif but I probably could've found better ventilation in the Shoei X11 or a couple other models. Next time I'll probably swap my priorities and make ventilation tops and noise will be secondary. dopeslap.gif

OldBoldPilot

FWIW, Arai helmets cannot be sold online or mailorder, so steep discounts are very hard to find.

You can find discount Arai helmets here.

I ended up with a Shoei X-Eleven, for which I paid $435 at Helmet Harbor. The RF-1000 is for rounder heads, while the X-Eleven fits slightly oval heads better. The X-Eleven fit equivalent in an Arai is the RX7 Corsair.

Philip

I have a new Schuberth and absolutley love it. Being an aged bifocal wearer, the integral sunvisor is absolutly indispensable. The helmet/bike combo is one of the quietest I've had and the ventalation is plenty good. If I wanted more vent. the chin skirt is easily adjustable.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got a Arai RX-7 Corsair new in the box, never been used for $349 with Edwards 7 graphics… this is a 2004 model which is why this guy can sell them cheaper, and after contacting several Arai reps to check the differences between a new 2006 and the older 2004 (not to tell them about the deal) was told that there are no differences at all, same helmet since 2003. I figure I saved about 300-400 buck from retail. Very comfortable and extremely well ventilated without being too noisy. 117 this weekend and my head was the coolest part of my body.

I really like the Arai Quantum 2 because of the shape of my melon, however the RX-7 seems better ventilated and lighter, with a moisture storing pad system and I custom fit with a choice of pads. Totally cool.

This is what I ended up with… (from wilzgarage eBay).

Thanks for all your input, very much appreciated.

I have a Nolan 1002/xlite, Z1R Stance, Shoei RFR (old), HJC, and now the Arai RX-7. I have to be honest I love the RX-7 the best but the Z1R Stance at $120.00 was my favorite helmet until the Aria arrived. The Nolan is too noisy for me, even with earplugs, but I love the idea of the UV visor, and it’s my only flip-up (modular). The Shoei is old but still comfortable, pads have worn to the point where it fits loose now. The HJC is too small and my son uses now.

The Z1R will be my back-up now, I really like that helmet, quieter than any other helmet I have ever tried, and ventilation is OK, it’s a little heavier than most helmets today, but pretty comfortable. In a series 2002 SNELL tests the Z1R tied with Schuberth for the safest helmet you could buy as well.

This is my take on things, feel free to express your opinion on helmets, I’m sure this topic is of interest to many people. You can tell by my small collection that I have been looking for the right headgear for sometime. What about you? cool.gif

Archived