IGNORED

New R1200RT

BSAtoBMW

Just picked up a 2006 1200RT so I'm back on this forum after a few years away. Great to see the forum doing so well!

I'm sure this has been covered in the past but what do you do to cut down the "glare" on the instruments panel?

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Congratulations!

Regarding glare, the only issue I have is with the GPS case reflecting onto the instrument panel. This for me is a GPS issue and not a instrument panel issue.

I have the same problem, there are times in the day depending on direction of travel that I can’t see anything under the “gauge bubble” at all. Its very frustrating. tongue.gif

I have ordered some non-glare film from an art supply store. It is held on by a static charge and can be removed any time (or so they claim) I'll post a follow up if it helps reduce the glare.

I have the same problem, there are times in the day depending on direction of travel that I can’t see anything under the “gauge bubble” at all. Its very frustrating. tongue.gif

I ran into this same problem with my GS yesterday. It was mid-afternoon, I was traveling east and the sun coming over the shoulder was causing a blinding glare off of the cluster. It's the first time I remember having that problem - and probably exacerbated by a new faceshield (non-tinted) that I'd put on my Shoei. So I don't think it's necessarily just an RT issue.

I can't stand using polarized sun glasses on my bike. It seems that the various layers of plastic (faceshield instrument, windshield)cause all kinds of distortion,wavy lines and the like. Sometimes the instrument panel just turns black and unreadable because of the effects of the polarized glasses.If it works for you great but for me this cure is worse than the problem.

I use Polarized sunglasses. It doesn't cure the problem but makes it better by a large degree.

Welcome back to the forum.

I have owned my 05 RT for 7 months now. So far I love this bike but I have to say trying to see the instrument panel has been quite frustrating. Glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this situation. If it is a bright sunny day most of the time I cannot see the information in the center of the panel unless I open the shield and raise my sunglasses. I sure hope BMW changes this flaw.

I haven't had much of an issue with this but it may be because I use a Schuberth helmet. Instead of sunglasses I use the built in sun shield. The sun shield drops down from the top and leaves a strip of clear faceshield open at the bottom. I can look through the clear strip to see my instruments and GPS. I am a real fan of the Schuberth and this may be just one more check mark in the plus column.

I have owned my 05 RT for 7 months now. So far I love this bike but I have to say trying to see the instrument panel has been quite frustrating. Glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this situation. If it is a bright sunny day most of the time I cannot see the information in the center of the panel unless I open the shield and raise my sunglasses. I sure hope BMW changes this flaw.

Congrats on the new ride! I got my RT on April 1st (really) and I absolutely LOVE IT! clap.gif As for the glare, I use a tinted sheild and have no problem at all with the glare.

I want to clear something up, what I (and suspect JAG) is referring to I wouldn’t describer as glare in the typical sense. For the most part it doesn’t matter where the sun is in relation to the instrument cluster.

During daylight, when I look down, whether or not I am wearing sunglasses, my Nolan’s UV visor, or a clear shield, all I see is my ugly mug staring back at me. Perhaps it’s a combination of the protrusion, and angle together with the material or finish on the plastic instrument lens. Whatever it is, it seems to be a rather perfect conspiracy against the pilot of said RT’s, in my case anyhooo

frown.gif

Exactly what I was trying to describe. An almost constant reflection. My order for non-glare film has shipped. I'll post results asap.

I call Cee Baileys and they said they have no plans for a cover. A few 100 phone calls requesting a new cover might change their plans! thumbsup.gif

One of the problems that plagues LED displays like the RT's is when they are exposed to bright sunlight they actually dim somewhat. Obviously when this happens in bright light with even a small amount of glare, things will be less than ideal for viewing. Some of the more electronically savvy members here can surely explain this better but, as I understand it, the technology for a brighter LED that is immune to the dimming issue exists. BMW chose not to use it on their screens. The question will be, if you coat the screen with the anti-glare material will this make the dimming issue better or worse. Let us know how it turns out.

I can't say I have ever noticed this effect on mine. There certainly has been no problem reading anything for any extended period of time at least. Occassionally I get glare if the sun is at the wrong angle. However since this has happened once and a while on pretty much every bike I have owned I haven't thought of it as a "problem".

Exactly what I was trying to describe. An almost constant reflection. My order for non-glare film has shipped. I'll post results asap.

The LED’s is not the problem, it is limited only to the surface of the gauge-cover. The LED (which I assume you mean the LCD that our on-board computer display is) and the analog gauges are equally obscured by this glare/reflection…

Archived