IGNORED

Another Newbie Question - Clean Tranny Fluid Replacement?

moshe_levy

All-

Sorry for the dopey question. In examining my '04 RT, I can see that the drain for the tranny fluid would allow the old fluid to seep out all over unless some sort of funnel is used to slip over that area. What do you guys use? Is there something sold to make this job cleaner? Thanks!

-MKL '04 R1150RT / '98 HD 1200C / '73 R75/5 / '74 R90/6

I usually cut up an empty milk jug. Or use a piece of cardboard.

Don't invest money in something this silly, please.

Or you can spend a couple of hours moulding a piece of PVC pipe to fit the boss around the drain plug.

Whatever method you use, there's a 99+% chance of having oil on the exhaust at the end of the operation!

Take a 12 to 14 inch length of tin foil and tuck it under the footrest support just below the transmission oil drain and wrap it up onto the exhaust. Leave enough out so the oil drips into the oil bucket. This is from a thread that I found here a few months ago.

I molded a wonderful device (attachment) for draining the transmission cleanly.

Sorry about the poor picture quality.

713744-TransDrain.JPG.64b3c650fd4618ed56415a959d0490e9.JPG

I molded a wonderful device (attachment) for draining the transmission cleanly.

Sorry about the poor picture quality.

713744-TransDrain.JPG

Dude!! Don't tease us like that!! How much??!! grin.gif

Nice work, Keith. I have only done tranny fluid change once and lets say it was kinda messy. Thats why I love those blue Scott shop towels so much. Do you have one of those fancy plastic injection molding machines in your garage?

I purchased the BMW Drain Tool # 1 90 88 6 234 680 years ago and it allows me to change tranny fluid without any mess. Paid for itself many times ago!

I purchased the BMW Drain Tool # 1 90 88 6 234 680 years ago and it allows me to change tranny fluid without any mess. Paid for itself many times ago!

I too purchased purchased the proper tool.It took two weeks for the dealer to bring it in and cost around $22.00 cdn.

On the up side it isn't just a straight piece of pipe, it has a taper and is relieved on the tapered end to allow you to get it in position.

On the down side, I still had some leak onto the CAT while draining.

I think that a paper towel roll would work just as well,but wouldn't look nearly as good hanging on a nail besides my $40.00 dollar BMW oil filter wrench.

Dude!! Don't tease us like that!! How much??!! grin.gif

I only ever produced one of them. Being a one of a kind, it's obviously priceless. thumbsup.gif

...Do you have one of those fancy plastic injection molding machines in your garage?

I have one at my work and it's not that fancy. It's a small commercial model but a vacuum former or blow-molder can be made at home.

Archived