IGNORED

Looking for validation

Lawman

Trying to stay cool while riding in Texas is tough. After reading several posts about the value of that poly whatever synthetic underwear I first go to Wal Mart and load up on it and then later try the stuff that Academy sells....As hard as I try to like it and as many times as I tell myself this stuff is much cooler than cotton I've finally decided to face the truth..I hate this stuff! Can't stand to wear it..Long live cotton drawers!!! Am I all alone here?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Trying to stay cool while riding in Texas is tough....and as many times as I tell myself this stuff is much cooler than cotton...
I found that it wasn't any cooler, but that it doesn't retain the moisture that leads to rashes (David had a snappier reply). Chafing at the crotch is painful at times, uncomfortable all of the time. My daily rides, commuting, errands and the like are usually in cotton drawers, but my tours are in poly or other times where I'm going to be spending long hours in the saddle. If nothing else, you may want to avoid the briefs and go with a boxer-brief or boxer design.
ShovelStrokeEd

Billy,

There are various qualities of this stuff and, Wally World is not the place to find the top o' the line.

I ride in hot and humid all the time and wouldn't be without my Ex-Officio boxers. No monkey butt, ever. Ditto their tee shirts although I actually prefer Patagonia shirts. Now, this stuff isn't cheap, a pair of boxers is $22 and the shirts are a little more, but for pure comfort, you can't beat 'em.

I am bothered some with rash on long hot rides but for some reason I can't stand the "clingy" feeling of the other stuff..I carry Boudreux's Butt paste and corn starch and rather treat rash than wear that stuff...Can I find even one "amen" out there? grin.gif

DavidEBSmith

rather treat rash than wear that stuff...Can I find even one "amen" out there?

Nope. Are you some sort of masochist or something? You like that feeling of hauling a red, raw butt out to the bike and plopping it down on the seat for a day of torture? And if that isn't bad enough, how about this headline: Oprah Loves Butt Paste. That should tell you something right there.

If you don't like the "clingy" feel (although nothing clings quite like wet cotton), try the Ex-Officio brand. It's a wafflely textured material that doesn't stick quite as much.

Billy,

There are various qualities of this stuff and, Wally World is not the place to find the top o' the line.

I ride in hot and humid all the time and wouldn't be without my Ex-Officio boxers. No monkey butt, ever. Ditto their tee shirts although I actually prefer Patagonia shirts. Now, this stuff isn't cheap, a pair of boxers is $22 and the shirts are a little more, but for pure comfort, you can't beat 'em.

I don't buy the top of the line stuff either, but REI and Dick's carry their own brand or Columbia and I've been very happy with both for the shirts. clap.gif The undies are another story. I've been wearing FTL boxer/briefs with a layer of baby powder. Then I tried the REI brand synthetic without much improvement. I'm still wearing blue jeans which may be the problem. What type of pants are you all wearing with your synthetic undies?

I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh pants and drawers..That's it.

Try riding naked, but don't fall down. They say people don't notice BMWs like the do Harleys. Of course "they" could be wrong.

Sorry, lawman, but I can't validate your view about, um, undercover wink.gif

I suggest two possible remedies:

1-try the boxer briefs at REI. Pricier than Wal-mart but better

2-get outta Texas

RichEdwards

My experience in sultry Florida:

1) Cheap poly shirts are fine. The $9 polyester shirts at Walmart do the job.

2) Cheap shorts are a big mistake. I wear UnderArmor Heat Gear compression shorts. At $25, these are not cheap but keep me dry and comfortable. I NEVER wear cotton shorts on a ride of any distance.

0026_black_xl.jpg

Wickers work.

Less expensive and keep you dry.

On long rides I still prefer gel bicycle shorts.

Great wicking properties and extra comfort.

A dash of Monkey Butt Powder can help. blush.gif

Cotton is for wrapping mummies. grin.gif

mummie.jpg

I will pick up either some Under Armour Heat gear or Ex Officio boxers..I see the Ex Officio are 96 % nylon..I think that would work for me....thanks... thumbsup.gif

I have a couple of cut off sweat pants that I wear under my stitch for long rides, 800+ mile days.

They work for both the BMW and my Harley.

Shawnee Bill

I have three choices in my drawers, standard cotton boxers, a pair of REI high dollar wicking boxers, a pair of Wally world wicking boxer tights looking things.

I ride 1000+ days with all of these, I really can tell no difference at the end of the day, or at the end of the next day.

I have tried washing them in the motel room with Woolite, next morning they are still damp, I have made a decision not to put on damp underwear to start the day blush.gif

Someone call a moderator!! blush.gif There's an underwear thread going. grin.gif

Now Al don't go gettin your panties in a wad.. wink.gif

Wickers work.

Less expensive and keep you dry.

On long rides I still prefer gel bicycle shorts.

Great wicking properties and extra comfort.

A dash of Monkey Butt Powder can help. blush.gif

Cotton is for wrapping mummies. grin.gif

Wickers are great, and a great value, too. You can get them for a good price at Sierra Trading Post, such as this:

Wickers

I am bothered some with rash on long hot rides but for some reason I can't stand the "clingy" feeling of the other stuff

Try going up a size, it won't be so tight and won't bunch up on you either clap.gif

I prefer the Under Armour boxers or boxer briefs. They really flow the air and don't get clammy. tongue.gif I think it is much better to have loose fitting drawers when riding. The key to comfort is keeping the air moving and keeping your skin dry. I like them so much I bought several more pair and wear them often. Under Armour is more expensive but I got mine on eBay for significantly less dough than retail.

I don't think Walmart is the the place to go for good, quality (anything) synthetic underwear. It is best to pay a little more and get the properstuff as it will last longer and treat you better. I have found that with (anything) gear the cheap stuff always ends up costing me more in the long run.

My rule is if it looks like cotton I won't like the feel over time. It will get stiff and pill covered after a while. The brighter the material (shiny) the better but only if it's a light weave.

Patagonia makes good stuff but too pricy.

DuoFold made a shirt that I would kill a man to find again. It was the PERFECT synthetic shirt. I even wore it out to nice dinners. If I was out and about and the heat was getting to me I'd stop in a bathroom, wet it and wring it out and bada-boom bada-bing super coolness. In fact the long sleeve version (about 5 years old) is still my most worn shirt on the bike. Ah, miss it like an old lover.

The REI brand is the best I have found available so far. It is a little heavier than the BMW brand, perhaps its a tighter weave, but without the sticker shock. It's called MTS.

I have an UnderArmor, what is it called... boxer brief? It is tight and runns midway down my thigh. It has become the anti- "batwing" long distance pair for now. (Guys use your imagination for a definition of the "batwing affect") My only comment is that I get ingrown hairs on my thighs if I wear it for too long.

The best way to care for your synthetics is to hand wash and air dry. But the handwashing is not nearly as important as the hang dry. The dryer will give you pills and stiffen the material. If it is the right stuff it will dry in no time and will last two to three times as long as your off the shelf Walmart special.

And THAT is my .02

Sometime back, I seem to recall someone writing about a fabulous experience with the extra strength Gold Bond powder (the one in the green container.)

Next, we could use another good discussion about the need for "body grooming."

Sometime back, I seem to recall someone writing about a fabulous experience with the extra strength Gold Bond powder (the one in the green container.)

I'm so bummed those threads are gone. I think ChrisK archived his somewhere (sig line?), but "ToxicAgain" has dropped off the DB along with his classic "helpful" post. Too bad on both counts! frown.gif
russell_bynum

What type of pants are you all wearing with your synthetic undies?

I wear good quality spandex bicycle shorts. They're form-fitting, so there's nothing to bunch up and cause a pressure point. They're designed to wick away moisture. They're stitched together in such a way as to not put any seams on potential pressure points. The seams are flat, so even if you do wind up sitting on one, it's no big deal. And they're usually padded in areas where you'd generally like padding. smile.gif

Get them at a bike shop, or a sporting goods store that sells good bike stuff.

What type of pants are you all wearing with your synthetic undies?

When it's real hot, either nothing (just the bike shorts under the Roadcrafter) or convertible microfiber pants from REI in "shorts mode". I think the ones I wear most of the time are ExOfficio, but I'm not sure. I've got several brands (all from REI) and they all seem about the same.

For me, the difference between bike shorts and Microfiber shorts (or bike shorts and nothing) and regular cotton undies and Jeans is like the difference between a Russell Day Long saddle and a saddle made of broken glass and barbed wire. eek.gif

a saddle made of broken glass and barbed wire. OUCH or maybe OUCH OUCH who cares about a little rash dopeslap.gif

Under Armor is quite good for my use here in Florida.

Here's one gynecologist's opinion:

For women prone to yeast infections and other rashy-bottom things, only white cotton will do.

What that has to do with a bunch of sweaty, old men sitting on motorcycles for too long, I'm not sure.

Wearing them right now..... thumbsup.gif

Lawman, you're not gonna get any Amen from those that ride much. If you can't stand the feel of clingy synthetic and you don't want clingy wet cotton, then may I make a suggestion.

I have in the past, before synthetics were available, would wear my riding gear, sans undershorts. Laugh if you want, but, if there ain't no shorts, they can't stick to yer butt, now can they? It is important to wear pants that breath and dry quickly, like the ones made by all the major outdoor clothing brands. They are basically all the same when you get right down to it, dry fast, and breath easily.

The most important thing about this subject is maintaining extrememly good hygeine in the nether regions. This alone, during a long riding day or riding trip will reap dividends over the long haul. Butt rash doesn't feel good and doesn't go away quickly when you keep the area under pressure and under the same conditions that caused the problem in the first place.

Under Armor is great! Tried one pair, sort of a modified boxer style, then went back and bought more so I could wear them all the time.

Target carries a wicking underwear brand called Champions. I've tried them also and they are okay. Sizes run a little small and they have the European style front, no fly, which means you have to lift the leg to access the equipment for bladder drains.

Under Armor is great!
I agree and have several pair. But they are expensive. I have found Duofold DuoDri seamless boxer briefs at Campmor for about $10/pr sale price. They are high tech nylon wicking fabric. They are working every bit as good as the UA heatgear. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE CAMPMOR PAGE.

Happy riding y'all!

I want to jump in and say using woolite to wash out a pair of wicking undies is not a good thing. The woolite has compounds in it that interupt the wicking properties of the material. (I have done my homework) Riding Comfort is a safety issue.

Billy

I have been wearing the Underarmor shorts and shirts for 3 years, in the heat i wear the shorts under my overpants, when it starts to cool off i wear the long sleeve underarmor. The underarmor works, at least for me, it is pricey,but so are BMW motorcycles. On a long trip i have stopped and soaked the shirts in water put on jacket and take off, cool for 200mi and do it again.

bakerzdosen
Well, you should probably check this site out then. For a subject I don't want to delve into, Philips/Norelco did an excellent job of making it funny. smile.gif
Well, you should probably check this site out then. For a subject I don't want to delve into, Philips/Norelco did an excellent job of making it funny. smile.gif

I cried....be sure to let the whole thing play thumbsup.gif

DavidEBSmith

Somebody on the LDRiders list a while back thought it would be good to shave his a** hair for long-distance riding. It wasn't, when it started growing back.

Somebody on the LDRiders list a while back thought it would be good to shave his a** hair for long-distance riding. It wasn't, when it started growing back.

Come on Moderators, how far are you going to let these visuals go? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

OMG! That is unbelievably funny! eek.gif I think I'll stick to the Under Armour tho. wink.gif

try the jockey life brand boxer briefs, i got them for the pouch to take care of some squashing issues, but found them pretty comfortable on five day trip last weekend in texas. were definitely different for me but no rashes or other maladies. got them at the big wal-mart and was very satisfied.

Billy,

I ride in hot and humid all the time and wouldn't be without my Ex-Officio boxers. No monkey butt, ever. Now, this stuff isn't cheap, a pair of boxers is $22 and the shirts are a little more, but for pure comfort, you can't beat 'em.

After my first day wearing my brand spankin new thirty dollar (delivered) Ex Officio drawers I'm thinkin about throwin every other pair of drawers I own in the same garbage can I put my Frogg Toggs in! thumbsup.gif

Why do they call it a "pair" of drawers? confused.gif

I still like cotton shirts better especiall under the cooling vest.

I bought some "cationic polyester with elastane" drawers and actually like wearing them except i experience a squahing problem as someone described earlier. Do these ex officios have a pouch or gusset or something?

They must be good to bring lawman over to synthetics.

Pls Advise. RT Fink

try the jockey life brand boxer briefs, i got them for the pouch to take care of some squashing issues, but found them pretty comfortable on five day trip last weekend in texas. were definitely different for me but no rashes or other maladies. got them at the big wal-mart and was very satisfied.

I haven't tried these, but I have lost faith in Jockey, which I used exclusively for years. They're less masculine than they used to be because they have removed "the pouch" from many of their offerings. I recently went back to Calvin Klein because they're made for men and actually have room for essential equipment (moderators, have I gone too far?).

I've gone off subject, Calvins are for my everyday wear. I recently bought Under Armour Heat Gear and find it to be the best I've tried so far for riding.

God - this is so sad for a first post on a new forum - I have an old pair of jeans with a large hole where the crotch used to be. UnderArmour shorts with a giant vent hole works for me! The wife isn't fond of the look but hey, if forced-air cooling works for the bike, why can't it work for the rider? thumbsup.gif

God - this is so sad for a first post on a new forum - I have an old pair of jeans with a large hole where the crotch used to be. UnderArmour shorts with a giant vent hole works for me! The wife isn't fond of the look but hey, if forced-air cooling works for the bike, why can't it work for the rider? thumbsup.gif

"Big Ass Fans sells, well, big-ass fans. Industrial capacity blowers and such. As you might expect, they're making the most of their name by also selling various novelty items (shirts, hats, mugs, etc)."

Sounds like a good application for a Big Ass Fan to me thumbsup.gif

Archived