IGNORED

R 1100 Wishbone/Telelever

Krolroger

Hello,

I have two problems with a secondhand wishbone that I have just bought. I would be grateful for your advice.

First, there is a slight (0.5mm) gouge across the width of the seating area for the balljoint on the underside of the unit. Might this lead to accelerated wear?

Second, the black paint coating has more or less flaked off. Small spots of corrosion are showing through the galvanised steel underneath, but clean up nicely with a wire brush. How should I repaint the wishbone from (mostly) bare metal to provide adequate corrosion resistance?

Thanks again for your help.

John Dickens

If it really is galvanised then it shouldn't be rusting? If it is galvanised then paint will only stick if you etch prime the metal.

Thanks for these suggestions. Powder coating might be the way to go, but I don't really fancy the idea of heating up a galvanised pressed steel wishbone. Has anyone done this?

On the other point, am I right in thinking that the entire front loading of the bike is transmitted through the penny washer sized surface on the ball joint top and the corresponding surface on the wishbone underside? That's why I'm a little nervous about it being less than perfect..

Thanks, John, will look into powder coating.

Would you coat the ball joint area as well on the underside?

I would be worried as to why the paint flaked off....stress from a wreck might have loosened the paint. I would insure it was true before spending any more effort.

Clive Liddell

If the paint has come off towards the right hand side then the PO had a brake fluid leak in the vicinity of the brake master cylinder. After a cleanup I think a normal spray paint should suffice - no heat there. The mark behind the ball joint mounting surface appears to have been made by person(s) with a chisel for whatever reason. As long as the surface is flat IMO a slight gouge such as you describe should not make any difference. I would fill the little hole with some RTV or similar to prevent water getting in past the washer.

Hello,

RTV? Sort of filler?

Paint has come off because it has not adhered to galvanised metal. Etch primer/spray topcoat seems better way to go because for powder coating I would have to remove the bearings, I am told.

Thanks for your replies.

RTV? Sort of filler?

RTV = Room Temperaure Vulcanising, known in the UK as Silicone Sealant.

Andy

One final question on this topic, how do I get the bearings out of the wishbone? There is nothing in the manuals about how to do this.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Archived