IGNORED

Engine stud length?

camshaft

I have been trying to get my bike sorted for the last few weeks and have been searching high and low for the proper torque/stud length from the engine block(a stud pulled out on my 94 RS). BMW and Clymer manuals have nothing to say regarding this, the local shop is also had no idea.

Another site I came accross had the length from the cylinder in this post

http://www.nabble.com/Re:-cylinder-studs:-torque-or-length--t1388703.html

Apparently the lengths in the above post are from the haynes manual. If anyone out there can confirm them, I guess I will just use them because there seems to be no other source for this.

Before my bike goes back to the engine shop I would like to know exactly what specs to give em.

Any experience, ideas or clarification would be greatly appriciated.

Stan Walker

Why not make it the same length (after screwing it in) as the other three that have not been disturbed?

Stan

Primarily because 3 of the 4 studs were pulled. And also because one has already had an insert (the one good one holding). So I really dont have a reliable measurement I can use. I'm going to pull the other cylinder tonight and measure, but again, I'm not really confident that that side isnt disturbed too.

Stan Walker

Then I would measure the thickness of the cylinder, head, head gasket, rocker arm support, washer, and the nut. Add them all up and leave at least that much of the stud not screwed into the block.

Be sure to measure where the stud goes through the parts (self evident, but if I don't say it, someone else will).

Stan

mikefigielski

I have a couple motors here apart that I can measure for you tomorrow. If you click on the link in my signature and send me an email at the website, that will remind me to do it for you, my brain is mush sometimes!

Archived