IGNORED

02 RT-P stalled doing 30mph on the road yesterday!

csapp05

Really was weird, was doing approx 25-30mph (thru a road construction zone) and the road was being rerouted and the pavement had a slight groove, the bike was on the high side of the groove, and when the road curved the bike went into the low side of the groove and shut off! It did not drop, bang or slam, the difference between the high and low can't be more than an inch. I ride this road everyday, and I was a little startled, pulled the clutch in and then said F$%# it and released the clutch and jump started the motor to get moving. It ran fine all the rest of the way, no stumbles, nothing. I have a huge trip coming up quickily, and have put almost 1700 miles on it since I got it last month. Any ideas? BTW the bike was just checked out (local bmw dealer) early last week and proclaimed good to go. I will ride it today and see if I can duplicate the problem.

That bump may have been coincidental--don't concentrate too much on it.

I would suspect a bad kill switch or bad HES (Hall Effect Sensor). More likely the latter.

Check side stand switch, you may have bounced enough that switch activated while you were in gear and shut down.

Check side stand switch, you may have bounced enough that switch activated while you were in gear and shut down.

Darn. I wish I'd thought of that. Your solution sounds spot on.

You know, when I took off from work I had the bike on the center stand, with the side stand out, and it shut off when I engaged 1st gear, I retracted, restarted and off I went. I could not duplicate it again, so I'll keep an eye on the switch. Thanks to all replies!

Chad

Archived