IGNORED

are you guy's really seeing this many problems?

brennaman

The RT12\'s have been selling for about a year and they are now dropping like flies. Clutch recalls, brake recalls, starter motor failures, warped front rotors (fixed two or three times in 15K), early final drive failures, weekly firmware updates.

----------------------------------------------------

Since I ride an 1150 I don't read many of the hexhead info, but it is most likely my next bike in a few years. I was on another forum and read this, are the 12RT's having very many problems? Just curious, I guess I should start reading the hex forum to familiarize myself with it before I buy. Thanks Phil

Firefight911

I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a perfect vehicle, whether it be a BMW motorcycle or a BMW car.

Although you may have seen and heard of some issues with this system or that system on this or that bike, I would temper that with two things. One, no one posts that there bike is working perfectly so how do I break it. Two, the problems you cite, although real, have been handled by the manufacturer at no expense to the owner when verified or covered through a recall.

My Nissan Titan had brake rotor problems and some other issues as well. All covered by the manufacturer.

I can absolutely affirm that the BMW motorcycle brand is alive and well albeit, not perfect. I don't think that I am going out on a limb by saying that your purchase of a BMW branded motorcycle will be followed very soon after by a very broad ear to ear grin and many, many miles of ride tales.

Just my .02 worth but I really would not be too concerned about an issue here and there. I would be concerned if BMW was not dealing with them.

The above comments are the sole ownership of the author. Any retribution will be handled with a deaf ear. I enjoy my BMW beyond any other marque I have owned as it is a complete, well rounded package of a motorcycle that may not do any one particular thing the best but handles all categories of motorcycling with very high marks which gives it the overall. YMMV!

I guess I should start reading the hex forum to familiarize myself with it before I buy

That would be a good idea thumbsup.gif.

In my opinion, the hexheads are suffering nowhere near the number of issues that the oilheads experienced. Of course, the hexheads are still young and have relatively few miles.

Having suffered final drive problems and transmission failure on my R1100-RT at under 50K miles, the first bike I owned in 30 years of riding that ever stranded me, it took some real study of the competition to make up my mind that there was still nothing better for the type of riding I wish to do than the R1200-RT. The only difference this time is I purchased a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty with the new RT. This will be the best money I ever wasted if I never need it!

Of course if I get another "problem child" RT this go around, it will be my last. My personal estimate, based on oilhead complaints here vs. the total quantity of the type sold in the USA is about 1 in 10 of getting a "problem child"

As far as the recalls, in my opinion this is a good thing. BMW should have issued more recalls with the oilheads instead of ignoring problems or waiting for a new model release to correct. The hexheads are still a new design. Enough is different from prior designs that problems would be expected to crop up. BMW is addressing these problems. All the recalls mentioned were issued for bikes manufactured prior to mine, a 3/2006 unit.

duckbubbles

Hi, Phil-

I'll agree with the other Phil about BMW's and this forum, too. Most every thread on here is about one problem or another. Going entirely on what you read here, you'd never buy whatever is being discussed. That is probably true about every dedicated site with discussion boards like this one. Nobody (at least not many) write that their bikes are performing and running beautifully and they are happy.

I've had a couple of issues with my '05 ST, but they are just nuisances and are being remidied. There are not updates every week, maybe two total, so far. I have brake rotor warping, but that is scheduled to be fixed soon. As long as the warranty is in effect, I will have the BMW rotors put on, then I'll go aftermarket, if it is still a problem.

I've owned BMW's for 21 years. Five different bikes and every new model has had issues that were hammered out one by one.

That's my .02 worth, too.

Frank

Reading forums like this one, where people go to find out about a problem or whatnot can make it easy to forget that BMW sells tens of thousands of these bikes. Tens of thousands. Out of that number, very few actually have problems. Just a bit of perspective worth what you paid for it. grin.gif

My only problem is not enough time to ride. All bikes have issues. I had an 02 VFR and it had a number of documented isssues. It was subject to three offical recalls (alternator, sub-frame and brakes). There was a hidden warranty on some bikes that had bad ECU's that caused mysterious stalling (I say hidden since it was hit or miss if Honda would replace the ecu for free on the problem bikes). Some bikes had their cylinder heads replaced due to manufacturing defects. The main positive cable from the battery was too thin a guage and, if not replaced, would often fail in about 30,000 miles (and often as not leave you stranded). Despite all this I had confidence in the bike. I also have confidence in my RT and haven't seen anything here that would change my view. Nothing is going to be perfect.

What everyone has said. Reading a website forum where the main focus is problems and solutions can easily give one a jaded perspective that they are indeed dropping like flies.

I for one - '05 R1200GS + 14K miles = 0 problems.

Well OK, I wore out the rear brake pads a bit earlier than I might have expected, but then that's just my doing!

Just got my RT about 6 weeks ago and love it. No problems what so ever with the bike. Couple issues with the GPS and XM radio wireing but thats not the bikes fault. IF you think this site is bad about badmouthing the bikes you should wander over to the LT site. You would think that there isnt one working properly. I never had any trouble with my LT it just was too heavy.

This site and oters like it are great for answering questions about issues and swapping stories about rides. Like someone else said out of the thousands of bikes sold there are going to be some problems but there are a lot of happy riders here and Im proud to say Im one of them.

Bud

+1 to Ken. 1 year, 7K miles. Only a bad battery @ 600 miles. It's like the old adage: Hear something good, tell 1 person. Hear something bad, tell 10. dopeslap.gif

No problem with my R1200RT in over a year and almost 20K miles; well, except for tires - about to get the third set.

Like your doing, I also researched several bikes and the RT was all that various sources claimed regards handling, ride, ergos, and power/mpg.

The biggest surprise for me was the lack of engine heat; every other bike I've owned had significant engine heat compared to the RT.

See ya. Bill

Marty Hill

Let's see. A bit over 50k miles on an '05 and '06 12GS's.

Each burned out a dip beam bulb. Nothing else! Something like 100k miles on 2 1150 RT's and 2 1150 R's and a 650 GS. No problems on any of them. I have never had a wty issue on any of my bikes.

If I were the only one you asked, I would tell you the BMW bikes are perfect. thumbsup.gif

I logged 20k miles in 10 months on my RT, and only thing to fail was the low beam bulb. I enjoy the bike, and love riding it, but the jury is still out after only 20k miles.

But off to a good start.

I think every motorcycle discussion board needs a "12,000 miles and NO PROBLEMS!" thread.

Folks post here when they have problems (rather, when they are motivated to do so, and problems oftentimes provide that motivation!)

I sure haven't ever posted to say everything is good.

So here it is:

2,974 miles, and only one problem caused by shipping damage (making it infinitely less reliable than the ST1300 it replaced, of course, which suffered no issues at all)

It's a good bike.

"Folks post here when they have problems"

Amen! A bike burps in Birmingham, Alabama and word is all over Birmingham, England within 20 minutes.

18,000+ miles, no problems except for brake rotor (warrentee) and 4 rear tires.

It does everything better than my '97 RT.

steve.foote
What's with the low beam bulb? dopeslap.gif

Whoa! I lost one too. Maybe we should be contacting BMWNA about this design defect. grin.gif

duckbubbles

Hey, Jeff, would you even bother reading a"12,000 miles and no problems" thread. I wouldn't and I doubt that many others would either. Just not juicy and controversial enough to keep interest.

Frank

7000 kms, threw a TB due to a loose clamp, but everything else is solid. Running great, getting 4.4 l/100 km as 120 is great, handling is awesome, very very happy i switched to BMW.

And I'd rather have a great forum like this to keep any issues exposed and discussed, than blindly ride alone..

15 months and 24k miles on my 05 RT and it's running better than ever. Have not had to adjust the valves or make a throttle body adjustment yet! Tires, oil, filters and both low beam bulbs (yeah, whats up with that?!) have been the only expense. Man I love this bike!

4 months, 3,900 miles and the only problems were covered under warranty. I love this bike clap.gif I only wish I had a slightly shorter CB shield, I can't get enough air now that it's hot outside. Anyone interested in a CB +3, +3 shield?

My 1200GS has done just over 36,000 km since April 2004, and has only had minor faults. Squealing front brakes fixed under warranty. Corroding handlebar bolts replaced under warranty. Two low-beam headlight bulbs, paid for out of my own pocket. New tyres now and then. And that's about it.

1200RT, 12 MONTHS 12,000 miles.

Low beam bulb blowm (PIAA)

Paint flaking from front engine cover

Pannier lock mechanism faulty

Some people may see more problems than others but as for me I have had my '05 RT for 4 months and have over 14 thousand trouble free miles. I just had my 12K service done and the dealer ordered some new front rotors for me under warrentee. They did a banjo bolt swap for one with a restrictor and rerouted an ASB wire.(Recall items) For the rest...pure fun.

5 months, 4900 miles and 1 major complaint, 1 minor.

Minor is the infamous oil check system in the computer (no biggy)

Major is not enough hours in the day to spend on my bestess friend in the whole world (besides my wife of course… “love ya honey”). wave.gif

15 months old, 18,600 miles, had problem with rear wheel wobble, fixed at third attempt by reluctant dealer, low beam bulb and on my fourth set of tyres. Paint flaking from front engine cover (I did see a carbon replacement on Ebay once, but lost out at £68).

Bike still thrills me with it's power delivery, engine characteristics and handling, and I am convinced I'd buy the same one again, and again...

I'm sure I'd live with any of the problems as the bike is a fantastic package.

St0nkingByte

8 months, Hit 4k miles yesterday. I mainly use the RT to commute to work in all weather, I get in some pleasure rides in but not many. My average speed is a paltry 33mph according to the BC so that gives me ~120 hours of saddletime. No real problems to speak of.

No regrets here, its an amazing machine, I'd probably buy it again and I can't see getting rid of it for a while. I recently went back and looked again at the other bikes that were in the running when I got my RT and neither does anything for me now the RT is just too good.

STL RT Rider
I was on another forum and read this, are the 12RT's having very many problems? Just curious, I guess I should start reading the hex forum to familiarize myself with it before I buy. Thanks Phil

My front brake rotors are warped after about 4,000 mi., but I haven't had it in yet to see if they will replace under warranty. Sure hope so, cause it ain't my fault grin.gif

Bad news sells and most people look for sympathy and solutions. Forums are great but remember the great experiences are seldom recorded and minor issues (even operator errors) become big gun battles......

great bike, maybe I should try a 1200GT

I have to join the happy camper crowd...bought 05 RT on Feb. 14, 2006. As of today, 10,500 miles, 1st set of tires (Pilot Roads), no problems, well, except that seat...will fix that with a Rick Mayer in August.

Cheers,

Lynne

I have to admit that, at my 600 mile service, I had to have the dealer adjust my headlight down some. Once I recovered from that appalling trauma I proceeded to put 5000 miles on in the last 4 months. thumbsup.gif I seem to smile more every time. grin.gif It's certainly not perfect but I'm having a ball and it's run like a watch from the git go.

To attempt to sum up this discussion, I would say that problems are rare but that doesn't make it easier for those who do have problems to swallow them. I further think that some dealers do a better job setting bikes up initially and diagnosing problems down the line. Sometimes it boils down to communication between the owner of the bike, the service writer and the technician. A clear and rational description of the symptoms always helps the tech to issolate and rectify the problem.

The last time my '05 RT saw a dealer was the 600 miles service. 23,400 or so miles ago. Only issue I've had was with the horn circuit being shut down. Fixed it myself.

What did you do to fix the horn?

The last time my '05 RT saw a dealer was the 600 miles service. 23,400 or so miles ago. Only issue I've had was with the horn circuit being shut down. Fixed it myself.

My '05RT just turned 12,000 with zero trouble. Changed both Pilot Roads in Montana at 10,300– most of that two up. Great bike.

BTW: That makes a total of about 90,000 trouble free miles on my last three BMW's.

St0nkingByte
8 months, Hit 4k miles yesterday. I mainly use the RT to commute to work in all weather, I get in some pleasure rides in but not many. My average speed is a paltry 33mph according to the BC so that gives me ~120 hours of saddletime. No real problems to speak of.

No regrets here, its an amazing machine, I'd probably buy it again and I can't see getting rid of it for a while. I recently went back and looked again at the other bikes that were in the running when I got my RT and neither does anything for me now the RT is just too good.

Guess I have to be honest and amend my report. Just got back from a 1,218 mile four day trip and over the course of the trip the teensy hint of brake rotor warping that I thought I was feeling has become honest to goodness shaking when stopping from just about any speed. It doesn't seem to affect how well the bike actually stops but its annoying. Also the bike gave me one little scare on the trip too. I stopped in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Washington to drink a little water and look at the nothingness, when I went to leave the bike wouldn't start, the starter button did nothing. After freaking out for a minute I kicked the kickstand down then back up again and it started right up, so maybe some switch trouble there.

I'm just about at 5,300 miles now, I'll probably do the 6k service myself but the bike needs to go to the dealer to have them address this rotor and do the recall stuff if needed. I may ask about the air temperature sensor fix too since that just annoys me at this point. At least I can get them to check the computer for errors around the same time as I do the 6k service.

dopeslap.gif

Archived