IGNORED

R1100RT starting problem

ajroy

I have an intermittent problem.

When I turn on the key, the fuel pump starts up, the RID works fine. The neutral indicator light won't come on all of the time, but I usually grab the clutch lever to start the bike anyway. It worked well for the first 89,000km.

But now, even if I grab the clutch lever, it won't start.

I know it's not the sidestand switch, since I shorted this switch and the RID + fuel pump work fine. I ajusted the clutch lever for 7mm play at the lever side, but no joy.

After playing with the clutch and gear selector, the neutral switch finally comes on and the bike starts readily, clutch lever in or not.

Any idea what's causing this problem? confused.gif

Sounds like the clutch switch. You could bypass it, too, but then you'd have to be very attentive, since the bike would crank even in gear...and with the sidestand down. eek.gif

The intermittent neutral switch is normal. Cheap part. PITA to replace, and not worth going in there unless you have to for something else.

Temporarily bypass the clutch switch to check the theory. If that's it, just replace it.

Or so it seems, since I haven't had any coffee this morning and there's a good possibility I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. But since nobody else has tried to help you yet, you're stuck with me. tongue.gif

Thanks Rider, but where is the clutch switch? I'm not a mechanic freek, but with the right information and guidance, I manage quite well.

It's in the clutch lever, just forward, slightly below the clucth adjustment screw. You'll see a small wire coming out of the handlebars near the grip. There is a rubber boot that'll slide back and there it is. $15.00 part; A real pain to remove. I ended up pulling the wire from the harness, and rode to the dealer so they could pull the switch and install a new one for $30.00.

Stan Walker

He's 100% right. How strange is that!!!

The switch is right by the clutch lever. Between the handlebars and the clutch cable. It looks like a small cylinder screwed into the left contol housing with a wire bundle coming out of it. You would have to split the outer covering and short the two inner wires to bypass the switch.

Or just replace the switch, either yourself or your local dealer.

Stan

Yep! It is the clutch lever switch. I had exactly same problem with my late R850R. First the neutral light / switch started to fail and the the clutch switch failed like yours. The clutch lever switch might be somewhat tricky to be changed. You might need a long socket, some time & smokes & beer to get it out.

Stan Walker

The clutch lever switch might be somewhat tricky to be changed. You might need a long socket, some time & smokes & beer to get it out.

And with all that, it's still easier than the neutral switch...

Stan

Couple of other tips/thoughts on the switch - To get a socket on the old one to get it our you can of course cut the wires. On the new one though, because you can't do that, finger tight is fine. Once the wires are ties up, it's not like the new switch can rotate out or anything.

Hey Andre,

Before you buy a new switch, clip the wires going to the switch and wire them together. The bike will start in that configuration. I rode for years like that.

Hey Andre,

Before you buy a new switch, clip the wires going to the switch and wire them together. The bike will start in that configuration. I rode for years like that.

BUT do remember that after configuration like this the bike will start with gear on. And that could result to dropping bike when accidentally starting bike with gear on! Don't ask how do I know this dopeslap.gif

I just called my dealer and they have the switch in stock. They tell me it's 2½ hour job (have to remove or got under the gas tank.

I think I'm gonna short the wires for now ( one of the wires is cut anyway) and be carefull as to always be in neutral when I start it up.

Any more usefull tips?? thumbsup.gif

Stan Walker

and be carefull as to always be in neutral when I start it up.

Just pretend you still have the clutch switch, and always pull in the clutch. It's a good habit to have anyway, it lowers the load that the starter motor has to turn and will really help when starting on a really cold day (think snow!!!).

Stan

Clipped the wires and taped them together. However, I did reconnect the sidestand switch just for safety.

Thanks again everyone for your usefull tips and information. wave.gif

Archived