IGNORED

Hwy 99 down Central Cal

bigwilliejoe

bigwilliejoe

Hey folks,

My google tells me to travel from Modesto, Ca to LA, Ca via a trip back up to SF and then down the 5 Googly route . But my map says why not just go straight down Hwy 99 to LA?

Anyone know the route?

This is a nice take on the route: Hwy 99

Dennis Andress

The trip along the 5 is shorter but desolate with few widely spaced gas stations. The 99 is more rural, almost scenic but is often heavily patrolled by the CHP. I ticketed out on the 99 in the '80s but seldom rode the 5.

Dennis

For all the reports of SR99 being heavily patrolled, I can't remember the last time I actually saw a CHP officer in car or on bike actually in motion on that road. Admittedly, I don't travel that route as much as I used to, but even when I did it never seemed as if that route was blanketed by cops. I did manage to observe a CHP airplane pacing the road in the opposite direction last year on the way to Vega$...

As to the OP, I would probably prefer using 99 to 5. There's more visual variety and stimulation, which tends to make the journey less tedious.

99 is popsted 65 and 70 and it is busy. You can travel about 70 to 75 comfortably but any faster and you have to watch out for slow moving vehicles. Trucks in CA are supposed to travel 55. On the other hand I-5 is like the autobahn, I have run about 80-85 with the detector on and had no problems, some cars will still pass you. I see those as bait.

R4ND0M_AX3
The trip along the 5 is shorter but desolate with few widely spaced gas stations. The 99 is more rural, almost scenic but is often heavily patrolled by the CHP. I ticketed out on the 99 in the '80s but seldom rode the 5.

Dennis

Without even checking your location I could tell you're from the socal. smile.gif

You're going to be cooking on either route. You might as well take I5 with higher speeds, get through it faster, and do the "scenic" stuff down along the coast after you cross the Grapevine, where the temps should be about 30F LESS than in the CA valley. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

If you have the time you could take all or most all back roads.

US-395 or Ca-1 would be much more scenic.

49/41 are nice but may be a bit crowded.

I would(and do) use 99 not 5 these days.

I tend to avoid 99 as much as I can. Much more traffic. Lots more big trucks. Lots more congestion as you go through lots more towns. Until not too many years ago, they still had some traffic lights on 99. Even now there are sections with cross traffic. And yes, police as well. One poster says he hasn't seen any LEO action there, but I've seen them every time I've been on it. The section I usually end up on is between Fresno and just before Chowchilla (where 152 comes in). That's my route back from Sequoia/Kings Canyon. And sometimes if I'm taking 140 out of Yosemite (which you can't do right now), I'll be on 99 between Merced and Modesto.

Hwy 5 isn't the greatest, but I find it moves much better than 99, and seems less crowded, so a bit safer for that reason.

From Modesto, find your way over to Hollister and take 25 down to 198 than go right or left to 33, which will give you access the the 5 depending how far you take it.... all the way to Ojai???? or 101, both will bring you into the melted pot of Los Angeles, I love 25, a bit out of the way , but worth the trip

I'm with Tank on this. Take 25/198/33 if you're in a hurry or go down the coast if you're not. Either will be much more enjoyable roads and cooler than the valley.

99 is very much a local highway for it's entire length. For me at least, it's the worst of both worlds: neither fast nor scenic.

Dennis Andress

Dennis

Without even checking your location I could tell you're from the socal. smile.gif

We do have a "relationship" with the local freeways down here. I think it all started when someone figured out that I-405 meant 4 or 5 hours....

As to the CHP presence on the 99, they used to hang out at the top of the on ramps.

Of the two I would take I5. 99 has tons of traffic with large truck going on and off the highway constantly. I5 has fewer on & off ramp and in my experience you can go much faster without worrying about a ticket.

Been on I-5, Hwy 1, and the 99 within the last month. 99's condition is the worst of any highway in Nor-Cal in my opinion, and there are points where the 99 actaully slows or stacks up...

If you have time, I would take the Coastal Highway, if you want a quick trip the 5 is the best route. 5 will shave about an hour+ off the 99. Coastal Hwy will add about 2 hours to the trip over the 5...

baggerchris

I would not take "99". Hwy "5" has a lot more stuff on it than it did 10 years ago, so it is bearable, and every so often there is an oasis or at least a rest area. The last time I went from Modesto to L.A., I was able to go 80 almost the whole way on "5". Ticketsville on "99"

Last Febuary, I was south bound on the I-5 cruising along at 80 in the fast lane. A CHP passed me in the right lane and didn't even look at me. dopeslap.gif

Take a detour up north and do the 36 for me. My bike's gone back east and I never got to do it. I hear it's legendary.

Last Febuary, I was south bound on the I-5 cruising along at 80 in the fast lane. A CHP passed me in the right lane and didn't even look at me.

laugh.gif

Last Febuary, I was south bound on the I-5 cruising along at 80 in the fast lane. A CHP passed me in the right lane and didn't even look at me. dopeslap.gif

Slower traffic keep right.

AdventurePoser

Just rode down CA 99 a couple of days ago. It was HOT, but as long as you ride with the flow, no problems with LE.

The way I see it, both CA 99 and I-5 have some advantages. I ususally do one up, and the other one back if I need to make time. Enjoy.

Steve in So Cal

The way I see it, both CA 99 and I-5 have some advantages. I ususally do one up, and the other one back if I need to make time.

Personally, I would not ride on either of those roads if I didn't have to. Hot, dry, bumpy, congested, straight as a string, and boring. You can make good time on either one, but bleach!

bigwilliejoe

Good info...thanks

Been on I-5, Hwy 1, and the 99 within the last

month. 99's condition is the worst of any highway in Nor-Cal in my opinion, and there are points where the 99 actaully slows or stacks up...

If you have time, I would take the Coastal Highway, if you want a quick trip the 5 is the best route. 5 will shave about an hour+ off the 99. Coastal Hwy will add about 2 hours to the trip over the 5...

bigwilliejoe

Tah ha ha...

Slower traffic keep right.

If you don't have Streets N' Trips (MS) or Street Atlas USA (DeLorme), then you may want to look into buying either one. If you like plotting a varied route to get to wherever you are going, these progs are like gold.

bigwilliejoe

Sweetttt, gracias!

If you don't have Streets N' Trips (MS) or Street Atlas USA (DeLorme), then you may want to look into buying either one. If you like plotting a varied route to get to wherever you are going, these progs are like gold.

The HD site actually has a pretty good online ride planner that lets you customize your route. It's not up to the level of some of the desktop apps, but for a free online service, it's not bad.

AdventurePoser
The way I see it, both CA 99 and I-5 have some advantages. I ususally do one up, and the other one back if I need to make time.

Personally, I would not ride on either of those roads if I didn't have to. Hot, dry, bumpy, congested, straight as a string, and boring. You can make good time on either one, but bleach!

Neither would I.

Steve in So Cal

You did not say if this is business or pleasure. If all you are going to do make time on a freeway may I suggest a car. It is DAMM hot this time of year.

AdventurePoser

Tell me about it....Jennifer and I stayed in Roseville on Saturday night. After visiting A&S Sunday morning, we lit out for the Coast.

There was a forty degree temp diff. between Santa Nella and Carmel.

Cheers,

Steve

Hwy 99 (or for that matter I-5) down the center of our state is hot, hot, hot. 99 is in worse shape and has more commercial traffic. 99 is tough enough in a cage. Take your time and stick to coast if you have the time.

bigwilliejoe
Hwy 99 (or for that matter I-5) down the center of our state is hot, hot, hot. 99 is in worse shape and has more commercial traffic. 99 is tough enough in a cage. Take your time and stick to coast if you have the time.

Just made it down from Modesto to Orange county on the 99.

It was 105 and was sooo hot that the contents of my bags (protein bars) melted to a liquid. Busy with trucks. Did I mention hot? Didn't see on LE. Hit LA perfectly to catch all the traffic. I split lanes for an hour, no kidding. From Valencia to Buena Park, baby. Pucker factor 9.9. After that I can ride a 4 inch beam 20 stories up..... Had to replace my seat after my butt___ pinched a chunk out....ha

B

Archived