IGNORED

Another low oil level warning post

jackflash

Have my R1200RT in the shop today for scheduled maintenance. The dealer told me and showed me a drawing of a new oil level float device that they have come out with to allegedly make the "low oil level" warning light be more accurate.

Am I the last to know this? Haven't read about it here.

This information has been posted before. I have learned to live with the oil check thing and now that I understand what its doing its not so bad. Mine has not been updated.

My oil warning thingie comes on pretty much anytime I'm doing something other than straight and level on the interstate system. Make a fast stop? Oil thingie comes on. Hit a serious twistie? Oil thingie comes on.

Doesn't matter if the oil window is at the top, mid-level or bouncing off the bottom. The stupid oil thingie comes on.

I'll just assume this will be fixed at the 6000 mile check.

AD

Mine seems better than yours but still does some of what you describe. For me it mostly comes on when I brake for a stop, especially if its downhill.

My oil warning thingie comes on pretty much anytime I'm doing something other than straight and level on the interstate system. Make a fast stop? Oil thingie comes on. Hit a serious twistie? Oil thingie comes on.

Doesn't matter if the oil window is at the top, mid-level or bouncing off the bottom. The stupid oil thingie comes on.

I'll just assume this will be fixed at the 6000 mile check.

AD

I guess my RT is a rare one. My oil level warning has never come on. It was built in January, 2006 so the updated sensor was probably installed from the beginning. I ride a brisk pace in the mountains and had a couple full effort stops, but no warning. Am I just missing some of the fun? cool.gif

On a related matter I have about 2000 miles on it now and the engine has not burned any measurable oil. I broke this bike in with more engine loading and that might have seated the rings quickly. My 96 RT took about 18000 miles before it stopped using oil. My oil level is between the dot and upper ring on the sight window.

I guess my RT is a rare one. My oil level warning has never come on.

Does it come on when the ignition switch is turned on before the bike is started. Maybe the bulb is defective.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

My oil warning light will begin to come on intermittently when the oil is half full in the sight glass. Between 600mi. service and present(3200mi.) I've put in 1-1/2 quarts of oil.

Mudman, did you order the bike with the oil level sensor? I ordered my 2006 (built in early Jan.) with it but it has never come on the screen display. The actual sensor is in place but does not come on the screen display when cycling through the BC button. The dealership said there is an issue and is waiting for an software update. Buckster

BC button will cycle through Temperature, average speed, KM (miles) to empty, and average fuel consumption km/litre (m/gal)

BC button will not show oil level - this only comes on if there is a warning of low oil.

According to pages 43- 45 of the owners manual, pushing the BC button will cycle through residual range, calculation of average speed, calculation of average consumption, oil level and ambient temperature. Buckster

BC button will cycle through Temperature, average speed, KM (miles) to empty, and average fuel consumption km/litre (m/gal)

BC button will not show oil level - this only comes on if there is a warning of low oil.

That may be true for earlier RT's but not for mine. My oil indicator has been flawless. I think there was an update to correct the false low oil readings when it's no longer appropriate to check the oil level (e.g. acceleration, braking, etc.). My oil indicator will not display anything except after the engine is up to operating temperature and idling. I can cycle to the oil check with the BC at that point. If I leave the BC in oil check mode and pull away, it automatically defaults to outside temperature until I once again come to a stop and idle for a few seconds. I can't recall the build date but it's an 06 built in the January/February time frame.

On my early 12RT (Jan 05), the oil thingie has only come on "agressively" during a brief period at around 5500 miles when my oil was halfway between the middle and the bottom of the glass. 7500 miles later, and with keeping the oil at the top of the glass, I have never seen the oil check indicator unless I called it up on the screen while idling.

So in other words... it works.

Yes, it was optioned with the oil level sensor and BC. Actually the oil level has not dropped below the upper ring since I have had it.

BTW I am taking the check procedure from the GS owners;

Thoroughly warmed up

Side stand for 5 minutes

Center stand for 10-15 minutes on the level ground

The indication is consistant using this method. thumbsup.gif

I have an 06 (Feb 2006 build), with 15,000 kms on it now and have never had a problem with an erratic oil level warning. It only shows up on the display (when scrolling through the BC) if the engine is at operating temperature, and the bike is idling, upright, at a standstill. If moving, it will not display at all.

Thanks, I will try that series of requirements when I am out riding next time. I haven't tried that sequence so I never saw the actual indication. thumbsup.gif

Archived