IGNORED

Exhaust Needs Replacement

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

The exhaust on my 2000 R1100RT needs to be replaced and I would like your opinions. Do I replace with standard exhaust ($1,000 new or if dealer has salvage one $500) or aftermarket? The inside of the muffler is eroding away (100,000 miles) and is becoming noisy and also causing a heat problem with my hard case. I think the heat problem is because the flow out of the exhaust has changed direction due to the erosion. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

There was a sweet deal on a Staintune system on IBMWR a few days ago for something like $400. I don't know if it'd fit your bike and I have nothing to do with the seller.

You could probably pick up a stock exhaust off Ebay for MUCH less than $500! It may require a little bit of patience waiting for one to go up there, but stock exhausts rarely fetch anything more than $200 bucks or so becuase they come from people who put performance exhausts on their bikes and don't need the stocker anymore

skinny_tom (aka boney)
You could probably pick up a stock exhaust off Ebay for MUCH less than $500! It may require a little bit of patience waiting for one to go up there, but stock exhausts rarely fetch anything more than $200 bucks or so becuase they come from people who put performance exhausts on their bikes and don't need the stocker anymore

I think there is two of them listed under the r1150rt search on ebay. Anyone know if they're the same part for the 1100?

I think there is two of them listed under the r1150rt search on ebay. Anyone know if they're the same part for the 1100?

They are different part numbers

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Part of your decision is did you like the performance and sound of the stock RT? An aftermarket canister will change at least the sound aspect. If you can afford the time to be patient, searches on eBay, IBMWR, here, Beemer Boneyard and Craig's List will probably yield a used, less expensive muffler. Mike at Beemer Boneyard offers a Parts Wanted feature, so you might want to submit your request. Make sure you post a Wanted To Buy notice at the classifieds here too.

Careful with going to louder performance exhaust. Something like a Staintune would be fine, but anything louder and you'll be stuffing cotton balls in your ears. Sounds reverberation (sp?) gets awfully annoying on long rides. On a H-D, sure loud pipes don't often annoy the driver because those bikes don't typically do the long runs like RT's and BMW's.

IMHO, Silence is GOLDEN thumbsup.gif

Steve Kolenda

Although the exhaust is not nearly as loud as most HD's it is loud enough to annoy me, so I think I would like to stay with the stock exhaust.

I believe the rear hanger point changed between the R1100RT and R1150RT.
Steve Kolenda

The part number appears to be wrong and when I send a message to the seller it is one of those drop off places and they barely no that it is a muffler. Any chance it is not the right part?

Careful with going to louder performance exhaust. Something like a Staintune would be fine, but anything louder and you'll be stuffing cotton balls in your ears. Sounds reverberation (sp?) gets awfully annoying on long rides. On a H-D, sure loud pipes don't often annoy the driver because those bikes don't typically do the long runs like RT's and BMW's.

That's what I once thought until I rode the Three Flags Classic last year and saw HDs with fuel cells. Since then, a friend of mine has recently completed a Bun Burner Gold (1,500 miles in 24 hours) on his HD with no fuel cell (5 gallon tank). Sure, in town you see all the posers. Out on the road, you'll see lots of HDs doing lots of miles. Check the bike count on the IBA website and you'll see that BMW isn't on the top of the list. Not even second.

Regards,

Bill Allen

Archived