IGNORED

What Type of Tape to Use to Seal Radio Box?

Charles Elms

Charles Elms

What is the best tape to seal the top to the bottom of the radio box. Duct tape dries out. Electrical tape doesn't stick in the inside bends. Is there a good sticky tape that holds up well to the elements that doesn't have to be pulled tight to make a good water seal?

I've used a good quality duct tape without any problems with drying out for three years now. If it did dry out it wouldn't be a big problem anyway since I have to remove the radio box every 18k to change the fuel filter anyway.

Charles Elms

Guess I've been using the cheap stuff. It doesn't last 2 months. I'll try to find some quality duct tape.

2wheelterry

Charles:

I don't have a radio chassis in my box anymore and did not see any issue with making this seal permanent. I used black silicone RTV between the upper and lower halves and glued them together. If I ever need to take them apart I will have a challenge, but cannot see a reason why I would. Getting rid of the cheesy looking tape was my main motivation.

I used aluminum tape. Its a better "duct tape".

You should be able to find it at a well stocked home improvement/hardware store in the HVAC (heating & A/C) department. You may find it offered in different thickness & it is very pricey but it is much better then "old duct tape" IMHO.

I painted it after I was done.

Archived