IGNORED

2007 model year changes confirmation from BMW

CTRBLNCD1

Hot off the presses today from BMW in a bulletin to the dealers are some interesting changes, to many of the motorcycles. I will spend time on the RT changes mostly here as, well, that's what I have...

2007 R1200RT -

COLORS ( already touched upon here I think )

#764 Titan Silver Metallic

#847 Biarriz Blue - remember from 1150RT?

#NO8 Sand Beige Metallic

discontinued-Granite

discontinued-Dark Graphite

discontinued-Piedmont Red

Most of the options stay the same, but there's a few interesting additions:

1. TPM- Tire Pressure Monitoring System- this was anticipated since it's announcement for the K1200GT (2007). It appears to have made it on almost every model except for the F650s and K1200LT

2. ASC- Automatic Stability Control - yep, you heard me right. Goose the throttle too much and the system will prevent rear wheel spin or loss of traction/control. This option is also going to be available on almost every BMW, except again, the F650 and LT. BMW will begin installing this system on bikes going down the assembly line in Jan 07.

3. LED Turn Signals - Beginning in Feb 07, BMW will begin producing white turn signal lenses with LED lighting technology.

Also in these bulletins, many models are getting a new ABS system ( well, really from F650 ). It's the 2-channel, non servo assist system that is even now on the R1200S. BUT, the bulletin does not make mention that it'll be on the RT. Personally if it does carry over to the RT, I'm glad I have servo-assist. I love it.

These are the big highlights for the 2007 model year. Of course the R1200R has been announced and pics were already put up here. BMW states dealers will have the bike in Sept for an Oct. general release. 109hp roadster? Sounds really fun!!!

p.s.- A very little bird has told me an interesting tid-bit. I think it's just a rumor, but.....it appears the K1200LT's life expectancy is just about another year or so eek.gif

Any info on the ST for '07?

Well the bulletin listing the '07 model lineup does not make any mention of the R12ST frown.gif

But then again it doesn't make any mention of the F800's, but I know dealers have gotten software for GT-1 supporting F800 diagnostics.

Sadly though, the chances of a R1200ST return to the U.S. for 07 do not look promising. Shame bncry.gif

Sadly though, the chances of a R1200ST return to the U.S. for 07 do not look promising. Shame bncry.gif

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

My sentiments exactly! I am quite anxious to throw a leg over the F800ST. I have a collegue who rode the F800S in europe a few weeks ago, he said it's a torque monster!!

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

I emailed BMW the other day asking if the R1200ST was going to be available in 2007 because the local phillipsburg, NJ BMW dealership sales rep said the bike has been discontinued..... Here's BMW's response....

------------------------------

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA. We appreciate your interest in our products.

We are happy to confirm BMW currently has no plans to discontinue the R 1200 ST. However, we have discontinued the 2006 models in

preparation for the 2007 Model production, which is due to begin later this summer. We hope this information helps.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at

1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,

BMW Motorrad USA

I followed up with these ?'s.

1. Are you making any changes to the look of the R1200ST for 2007?

2. Are there any plans to include ASC (Automatic Stability Control) on it

for 2007?

and received this response...

Unfortunately, we do not currently have any information regarding the 2007 models at this point. We can only suggest you check back

with us at <www.bmwmotorcyles.com> later this summer for additional updates regarding pricing, options, and availability.

I hope it's continued.

-

Unfortunately, we do not currently have any information regarding the 2007 models at this point. We can only suggest you check back

with us at <www.bmwmotorcyles.com> later this summer for additional updates regarding pricing, options, and availability.

Hahaha....BMW's website for model availability and accuracy, that's a good one!! Ever notice the R1200CLC and R1150R are still up there???

No Piedmont Red?...Getting rid of the fastest color........I am surprised they are eliminating it.....

Phil......Redbrick

No Piedmont Red?...Getting rid of the fastest color........I am surprised they are eliminating it...

Fastest and most glamorous colour that reeks of sex (non biking female comment) is Granite silver with Black lowers. Brits called the Red (pink?) R11S colour DDP

Dog dick pink. Wait for your Piedmont red to fade to .... DDP

http://www.hdforums.com/upfiles/smiley/headbang.gif

The R12RS was an ugly orphan child that was a poor imposter to the RS legend. Dead it deserves and dead it is.

Uh, there was no R12RS. eek.gif

If you meant R12ST, I think you may be right that it'll be dead. 'tis a pity. I used to share your feelings (about the looks). Then I rode one. I bought it, demonstrating either really bad judgment or incredible insight. I prefer to believe the latter. thumbsup.gif

If you meant R12ST, I think you may be right that it'll be dead. 'tis a pity. I used to share your feelings (about the looks). Then I rode one. I bought it, demonstrating either really bad judgment or incredible insight. I prefer to believe the latter. thumbsup.gif

clap.gifclap.gif Same here!

When looking through BMW fleet I always skipped R12ST because of the looks. Then I was offered a long test drive and fell in love. And now my ride is R12ST.

The seat is only thing I am going to upgrade soon, because lond day rides are pain in the ass grin.gif

I got used to Corbin seat on R1150RT, so standard seat is just not any good.

SAAB93driver

Good bike it is, but it would have been so simple to make the bike's looks more mainstream to give it broader appeal and higher sales.

Well, if the ST does end up basically being a one year (2005) model, which I doubt, I wonder how that will effect their "collectability" down the line? Those of us that bought one may have the last laugh.

Guess I'd better hang on to the stock shocks when the Ohlins go on tomorrow. cool.gif

For the time being, it's a two year model. There were a limited number of '06 models that were sold in the US. Currently however, only '05 models are still in the US warehouse.

I'm wondering if the ST will end up being a Europe-only model? Or, if the ST is going to be put on hold until after the 800ST is made available in the US?

The R1200R is starting to look better and better...

For the time being, it's a two year model. There were a limited number of '06 models that were sold in the US. Currently however, only '05 models are still in the US warehouse.

Do you think a person can get a deal on an '05 model since they're sitting in the warehouse?... If so, what price in US dollars are we talkin about? Any thoughts on buying leftover '05's would be great.

bakerzdosen

Do you think a person can get a deal on an '05 model since they're sitting in the warehouse?... If so, what price in US dollars are we talkin about? Any thoughts on buying leftover '05's would be great.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Seeing as how I really wanted an R12ST, and had heard through the grapevine known as the internet that there were a VERY limited number in BMWNA's warehouse and none had ABS on them (the same grapevine that said that the r12st will be back in '07), I bought one with ABS from my dealer last Friday. I kinda wanted to learn more on my f650cs, but I got hit with the rationale that I now knew how to ride, and that I should really be learning on the bike I was actually going to ride.

I mentioned that I was hoping to get a good deal on one of the '05's that they still had in a few months. So, the owner started doing the numbers...

Suffice it to say, my "good deal" wasn't exactly a steal, but I do NOT feel cheated at all. Great trade in, installed panniers thrown in. A coupla minor extras here and there. Add really great service (I don't think in the 4 hours I've spent there in the past week or so that I was there during actual business hours, and since I ran out of time, the sales guy is putting 100+ miles on my bike for me while I'm out of town so they can do the 600 mile service on it before I go on a 900+ miler later this week), and I'm happy.

I don't think you'll see any "fire sales" on r12st's. There has been a bit of a run on them in the last 3 months.

Personally, I think you'll see another r12st, but I've been wrong before. And, I happen to like exclusivity in vehicles. I have two cars, both of which have fewer than 50 models like them registered in my state - MUCH less if you count colors. It's harder to stalk people, but that's the only downside. smile.gif

Agreed on the seat thing though. It needs help. However, my, uh, rear thanks those of you who suggested the high front/low back seat position. MUCH better. I guess a custom could be in my future...

Chuck Hatcher
...the sales guy is putting 100+ miles on my bike for me while I'm out of town so they can do the 600 mile service on it before I go...

You just can't put a price on that level of commitment to customer service! grin.gif

Agreed on the seat thing though. It needs help. However, my, uh, rear thanks those of you who suggested the high front/low back seat position. MUCH better. I guess a custom could be in my future...

I've posted some info on the Rick Mayer Saddle here.

bakerzdosen
Oh, believe you me... I was waiting for that report you promised earlier in that thread. I'm not exactly fond of the looks, but it is growing on me. The report was much appreciated.
Oh, believe you me... I was waiting for that report you promised earlier in that thread. I'm not exactly fond of the looks, but it is growing on me. The report was much appreciated.

Maybe I'm delusional, but it doesn't strike me that the seat has changed the appearance of the ST very much at all. Maybe it's my poor photography skills that are at play, but the overall dimensions of the Rick Mayer are not much greater than the stock seat. Of course, as the Russell Day-Long fans say, "Beauty is in the butt of the beholder."

bakerzdosen
Maybe I'm delusional, but it doesn't strike me that the seat has changed the appearance of the ST very much at all. Maybe it's my poor photography skills that are at play, but the overall dimensions of the Rick Mayer are not much greater than the stock seat. Of course, as the Russell Day-Long fans say, "Beauty is in the butt of the beholder."
I responded to this over in the r12st seat thread.

You just can't put a price on that level of commitment to customer service
You know, I was kinda torn on the matter. The sales guy told me (after putting the requisite 15 miles that BMW requres on the bike) that he was really starting to "dig [my] bike". So, I initially took his offer to put any additional miles on my bike as another compliment. But I started to view the "customer service" aspect of it when he told me he wasn't going to take the bike on the Sunday dealer sponsored ride he was leading for fear of putting too many miles on it. He was supposed to come in (no idea if that happened for sure, I guess I should call. smile.gif) on his day off to ride it.

Quote: “…Also in these bulletins, many models are getting a new ABS system (well, really from F650 ). It's the 2-channel, non servo assist system that is even now on the R1200S.”

I’m hearing from an OTL source that the R1200S ABS (Bosch) will not spread to the other bikes. The magazine is sticking to their prediction that Continental-Teves brakes (integral but no power assist) will be the choice. The new Continental Integrated Brakes will replace the old I-ABS III in question in late Summer 2006 on all K- and R-Models (R12S excluded, it's fitted with a simple Bosch-Brembo ABS). The German motorcycle press is testing the new Integrated Brakes from Continental Teves. The ASC was the only thing presented by BMW in Berlin.

I’m hearing from an OTL source that the R1200S ABS (Bosch) will not spread to the other bikes. The magazine is sticking to their prediction that Continental-Teves brakes (integral but no power assist) will be the choice. The new Continental Integrated Brakes will replace the old I-ABS III in question in late Summer 2006 on all K- and R-Models (R12S excluded, it's fitted with a simple Bosch-Brembo ABS). The German motorcycle press is testing the new Integrated Brakes from Continental Teves. The ASC was the only thing presented by BMW in Berlin.

Check this July 8 press release - BMW to introduce new integral ABS and ASC

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5840/1/

cheers

Flicking back a few quotes, I too think the ST is butt ugly, but it's the ride that has me sold. In the words of our very own Mr Jeremy Clarkson (with a little poetic licence) "looking at a bike is like sniffing a painting" confused.gif

Whilst I think looks do have an importance, their weighting is very much outdone by the ride experience. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...
bakerzdosen
I just got word that MCW's BMW rep said the R12ST is no more in the U.S. frown.gif
So, for those of us that have already "joined the club", is this more of a "get them accessories while you can folks" type of announcement, or is it a "please don't let me crash - this things a classic now" type? Or does it even matter?

I wouldn't worry about availability of anything for your ST. From accessories to hard parts, you'll be ok for quite a few years. But, you surely can still consider her a classic! thumbsup.gif

The result is claimed to be “supreme stopping power” and very short stopping distances even without electrical power assistance for the brakes.

"Even without electrical power assistance for the brakes"... wow, what an amazing breakthrough!

The new Integral ABS system applies brake pressure on the front wheel brake solely by means of a hydraulic circuit, thus acting entirely in response to the force applied by the brake lever. Sports riders will enjoy this new level of control and feedback response.

Another amazing step forward for the motorcycling world. grin.gif

Seems pretty clear that BMW realized how badly they screwed up with the Evo system and in typical BMW fashion will say and do anything rather than admit it. Almost commical in a way, but still it's good to see the change.

No Piedmont Red?...Getting rid of the fastest color........I am surprised they are eliminating it...

Fastest and most glamorous colour that reeks of sex (non biking female comment) is Granite silver with Black lowers. Brits called the Red (pink?) R11S colour DDP

Dog dick pink. Wait for your Piedmont red to fade to .... DDP

You summed it up...Brits. lmao.gif

Re: lotuszr7. I think i got a good deal on my ST. msrp was 16,495. I traded a 2005 kawasaki Z1000. Sturgis bmw in s.d. said they would trade for a diff. of 6,900 That means they gave me 9,500 for my bike.

I work at a yamaha/ kawasaki dealer. and we sold a new 05 Z1000 a month ago for 6,800.

And i for one don't mind the looks of the ST. sure beats riding a bike that looks like every other bike. From the front I have even confused a silver st1300 with an r1200rt a couple of times. That is true for cars as well. So instead of buying a honda S2000 for my midlife crisis splurge. I found a 1957 porsche 356 replica car

(i can't afford a real one). And alot of folks tell me that it's a weird looking little car. And that's fine. because i don't like to see myself coming down the street all the time. Different is good.

bakerzdosen
I found a 1957 porsche 356 replica car (i can't afford a real one). And alot of folks tell me that it's a weird looking little car. And that's fine. because i don't like to see myself coming down the street all the time. Different is good.
And to think, I thought that 1957 Porsches were a dime a dozen in Rapid City... smile.gif

See, I'm the same way w/unique vehicles. I have a '86 BMW 635csi and an '01 Saab 93 convertible, and now the ST. Around here, I see a 6-series about once every month or two, and a 93 conv. (other than one that "works" near me) about once a month. I have never seen an r12st away from the dealership.

So I enjoy the uniqueness as well. The only downside I see would be if I was stalking someone or being chased by a cop... dopeslap.gif

Archived