IGNORED

Flaky RID

Schnell

Today on the ride home today I noticed that the engine temperature scale on my 2000 R1100RT's (39,000 miles) RID was acting a little flaky. I looked down and there was no reading but quickly jumped back to 5 bars where it was moments before. I noticed a similar thing one other time but only 2 bars were missing then.

Any ideas?

Ken

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I wonder if the plug that connects the RID to the harness is fully seated? If the contacts were making intermittant contact, you might experience those problems. I'd suggest also making sure all of your fuses and relays are fully seated.

It sounds like only the temperature feature is failing. If that's the case, then the problem is beyond me. Good luck!

First thing as mentioned check the connectors behind the dash to the RID.

If it's only the temp display I wouldn't rule out a bad temp sensor or connection to it either.

Ok .... can somebody please point me to the location of the temp sensor Ken H. speaks of.

Thanks;

Ken

FYI - I reseated/lubed the RID connector with no affect. From another source it was reccommended to do the same to the connector behind the tupperware on the right side of the tank. Two days now and no problem. Even the missing top bar on the fuel level gauge has returned.

Not a victory yet (only two days) but this may have solved it.

Ken

Archived