IGNORED

Driveshaft freeplay

Hombre

I have 1200RT with 1100kms so far. This is my first BMW and first shaft driven bike. my question is; with the bike on the centre stand and in gear I can rock the rear wheel back & forwards. Measured against the outer circumstance of the brake disc, the distance is about 1inch(25mm). The bike is booked in for its first service next week and before I mention it to the dealer I would like to be forarmed. I can hear a clunk when rolling at low speed when I re-engage the clutch. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

If the play is rotational (i.e. you can roll the wheel about an 1" either way), this is normal. If the play is lateral (i.e. if you hold the wheel at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock or at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and rock it), then this needs attention - there should be no movement.

My grateful thanks to Black99s & PaulW42 for putting my mind at rest. The freeplay is only rotational, so I can get on with enjoying the bike,which seems to grow on me each time I ride it. Still missing the VFR a bit though.

Hi man, I mean hombre.

Coming from a Pan 1300 (ST 1300) this clunk when releasing clutch is annoying. We will have to live with it. They all do it. Clutch action and tall first gear make slow speeds and take offs unpleasant. This machine is built for long distance at high speed where it really shines.

I have heard this comment but I can honestly say I don't seem to experience this on my RT. If anything the bike is easier to get moving and with a lot less clutch slippage than my 02 VFR took. I think I start engaging the clutch somewhere around 2000 rpm and likely have it fully engaged at something between 2500 and 3,000 RPM. I also find that it gets moving easier and with less effort than my 1150RT did. Maybe its just the other bikes I have been riding lately but I don't have much of a complaint in this area. In terms of slow speed manoverability I think the RT is a real champ. Unlike some posters I have found the RT one of the easiest bikes to handle at low speeds of any that I have owned. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I do get that characteristic clunk though. My 1150 made a similar noise.

Clutch action and tall first gear make slow speeds and take offs unpleasant. This machine is built for long distance at high speed where it really shines.

It probably depends on what you are used to. I come from Japanese bikes (ST1100, GL1800,ST13000) Clutch action and slow speeds were never a problem. I did a demo ride recently (4 different Yamahas) that were very easy.

I experienced the problem again last week end while riding with buddies on GL 1800 and ST1300 on a gravel road leading to a beach. Slow meant clutch in and out constantly to maintain speed. Hondas were simply crawling along in first gear.My first gear is 50% taller than than those 2 Hondas.

You live with the problem, it's no big deal but can't help wonder: "What were they thinking".

I concur. This RT is the best handling bike i've had short of a 400cc Seca. No problems with revs and clutch. The torque is great. Also get a thunk which is very disconcerting. sb

The clunk when engaging clutch shows it moves the gears and I have to do it ocassionally when at stand still to get gears down from say 5 to N at a light. Play is also normal just like a loose chain can give some. The sould is sometimes disturbing though.

no fear

h

Archived