IGNORED

Rumble/buzz from fairing area of 05 R12RT

graemer57

When I switch ignition on occasionally get rumbling/low frequency buzz sound coming from somewhere near the front of tank/fairing area. Sometimes is there at end of journey even if not there at start. Sort of sounds like it 'runs down' when I power off the ignition. Thought it might be coming from fuel pump but am not sure where this is located. Bike is fitted with ESA so also wondered if it could be coming from a stuck servo or something, though why this would occur just on switching on I am not sure (last time it occured was at end of a trip where I had changed the damping while running). Took bike into the shop for investigation but typically it wouldn't make the bloomin noise while it was there so they were unable to satisfactorily check it out (doesnt that always happen!!!)

Anyone experienced anything similiar or have any ideas????

Graeme,

Funny you should mention that .......... I just noticed it on mine too ............. it's due the 12k service soon so I'll get the dealer to investigate - I've lost one of the rubber stops that the screen rests on [ left handside one ] and done a temporary fix [ Blue Peter style ] with some double sided tape and the eraser from the top of a pencil - seems to be working , although I 've resorted to keeping the screen raised a little all the time .

I had a good look around the bike last night , and I can't determine where it is coming from ??

I don't have ESA on mine though .

Steve

mine is definitely coming from the tank/fairing area rather than the screen, but it is really difficult to pinpoint. Am hoping it is something like the fuel pump rather than ESA.

Speaking of losing rubber stops. Bought a new BMW tank bag two weeks ago, used it once over a weekend trip to Belgium, lost two of the rubber bungs off the bottom. Looks like BMW are using chocolate glue to keep things in place!!!! Am tempted to Superglue the replacements on...unless someone can suggest a better adhesive???

Speaking of losing rubber stops. Bought a new BMW tank bag two weeks ago, used it once over a weekend trip to Belgium, lost two of the rubber bungs off the bottom. Looks like BMW are using chocolate glue to keep things in place!!!! Am tempted to Superglue the replacements on...unless someone can suggest a better adhesive???

My dealer will take the rubber bungs off and use RTV to glue back on BEFORE he sells the tank bags. This is a known fault. Dealer should have spare rubbers.

I chose to do it meself - take off the rubbers, clean out all the crystaline 'glue', de-grease with alcohol, fill rubber with black RTV - push on and twirl so that the RTV rolls around the edges nicely. Install tank bag to bike and let cure overnight. smile.gif

Hi

Dealer has already supplied replacement rubbers. I'm not familiar with RTV. Is is a type of glue or a Canadian brand?

When I switch ignition on occasionally get rumbling/low frequency buzz sound coming from somewhere near the front of tank/fairing area.

Do you have the factory radio? The radio has a fan which runs when the radio is on and I hear it power down when I switch it off. The fan is located beneath the radio.

Graeme,

Just one clarification. You said the last time that it happened at the end of a trip. Does this mean you completed the ride, switched off the bike, and then switched it on again? One thing you might check is around the housing for the belt at the front of the engine. This is located just under the faring so it could be a belt tension problem that's causing some noise. Good luck.

Hi Al

I had just completed a trip, stopped with the engine running and could hear the noise I referred to. Then I switched off the engine with the key, but the ignition was still live. could clearly hear the rumble/buzz. Then siwtched off ignition completely and the noise 'ran down' over about a second and stopped. In answer to Chris's question yes I do have factory radio, and if it is the fan then a bearing must have gone or the housing is vibrating as it is definitely not 'normal' fan noise. Have run the bike twice since my posting and no sign of the problem... don't you just hate those intermittent faults!!!

Archived