IGNORED

Today I had to be rescued...

Bob Palin

No Harm Done. After the rain stopped this morning it turned out to be a great day so I decided to get the KLR out and go for a short test ride since I wanted to ride it in Colorado next week. Despite not being started for several months it fired right up and ran great. Took it out to the Sinclair station then back to the Teasdale Rd and decided to head up an easy dirt road to a small lake on the flank of Boulder Mountain. Got about a mile up the road when it cut out, couldn't re-start it. Fuel switch in On and Reserve, wiggled the sidestand switch etc, no go. Fortunately I had only gone uphill from the pavement and could glide down to the Teasdale road, tried to bump start it for a while but it wasn't happening, turned over just fine but no start. Eventually I gave up and called my neighbour, not home, so I started walking towards Teasdale. After about a mile a guy on an ATV comes up to me asks what the problem is, he offers to give me a ride to Torrey so I get on the back of the ATV. I was thinking it was going to be quite a trip to Torrey on the ATV but he lived right there and we got his truck and his wife and headed for home. People in Utah are great like that, they just want to help, it's a major part of the reason I moved here.

He had lived in the area all his life (mid 70s?) and his wife in Teasdale for 58 years since she left Denmark, some may remember a small cabin between the Cafe Diablo and my street, next to the big veggie garden. His Aunt and Uncle had lived in that 2 room cabin with 16 children, yow!

Went back and got the KLR with the trailer, glad I decided to test it close to home but I guess riding in the Rockies next week is in severe danger now. I may play with it a little tomorrow to see if it is the cutout switch and see if fuel is getting out of the tank and power to the plug etc. But it's a question of trust, I go to some pretty remote places on my own on that thing and I need to be able to trust it, it has 22,000 miles on it and has been treated pretty roughly. Can't buy a new dualsport this year, maybe I'll take the KLR over to Fred in Moab and have him look at it.

"treated pretty roughly"

nooooooooooooo....just thrown in the corner of your garage for months at a time in various stages of disrepair....expected to peform flawlessly.....even after you bury it in mud and have to get horses to pull you out...I don't understand what your talking about...

I can't imagine why it let you down....

Glad your okay...I wish I could've been there with ya...

Whip

"treated pretty roughly"

nooooooooooooo....just thrown in the corner of your garage for months at a time in various stages of disrepair....expected to peform flawlessly.....even after you bury it in mud and have to get horses to pull you out...I don't understand what your talking about...

Those were the easy days, at least I put oil in it, not like my first KLR - BOOOOM! grin.gif

RichEdwards had a similar problem with his KLR [i had to do the rescuing that day tongue.gif]

May want to PM him or do a search - I believe there was a fix involved but don't recall what it was. dopeslap.gif

Also, you may want to make sure that the fix worked crazy.gif [i believe it has, but don't quote me]

Good luck

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
But it's a question of trust, I go to some pretty remote places on my own on that thing and I need to be able to trust it,
Yeah, but you're a pretty handy guy and I can see that you'll get this problem fixed and then you'll know what was the cause of it. Therefore, should it happen again, you can fix it again. thumbsup.gif
But it's a question of trust, I go to some pretty remote places on my own on that thing and I need to be able to trust it,
Yeah, but you're a pretty handy guy and I can see that you'll get this problem fixed and then you'll know what was the cause of it. Therefore, should it happen again, you can fix it again. thumbsup.gif

I don't know about taken advice from a man that thinks his RT is a KLR..... grin.gif

Whip

Thanks for the encouragement, I suppose I have to spend a few hours trying to fix it:

1. sidestand cutout switch - defeat, been suspicious of this for a while, had a previous cutout where jiggling it worked (the switch, not the other, get thee to ADV!)

2. clutch switch - defeat

3. fuel "filter" - I've been suspicious of this for a while too, had a cutout where switching to reserve fixed it.

4. debris in needle jet - more complex, has to be drilled out I think

5. debris in carb - I hate playing with carbs, they never seem to go back together right, fiddly.

6. new plug - this one is Really Old, have one ready to go, should do that first.

Air filter is fine, just cleaned it (K&N)

There are no nasty engine noises so I don't think it is a serious mechanical problem, need to check valves and cam chain tensioner but doubt they would cause a cutout like this.

Or go to Richfield and get

xr650.jpg

No, bad Bob, don't even think that...

Postitive thought...

Negative thought...

Why be negative when you can be positive? smile.gif Hmmm? grin.gif

xr650.jpg

That's what friends (and neighbors) are for, Bob.

Yes, Bob...do it! clap.gifclap.gif You only live once.

Mike O

Bob, with your way with words I'm surprised you didn't just have a discussion with the KLR and mention words like"junk yard, scrap pile etc. It surely would have started then. thumbsup.gif

If you get a big RED one, just put the old one in the front yard like everyone else in UT does. grin.gif

If you get a big RED one, just put the old one in the front yard like everyone else in UT does. grin.gif
Right next to the old fridge? grin.gif
RichEdwards

RichEdwards had a similar problem with his KLR [i had to do the rescuing that day ]

On my KLR, it was gunk in the carburetor (that came, perhaps, from the 55 gallon drum that a Mexican entrepreneur in Baja filled my tank tongue.gif ). A local Florida mechanic cleaned it out and now it runs fine.

Archived