IGNORED

The WORST DAY our bike is CRASHED.

Tony_K

First let me say I am ok. I am limping but it will pass and I have no road rash.

This was a short run into L.A. to pick up supplies for my business.

It was getting to be rush hour 3:00 pm so I opted to do some street riding.

I just got my items and was heading back home. I took Pico south to Broadway east

and that is where it happened.

I hit oil or something slick in a left hand turn.

I was actually through the turn when suddenly the bike got into something like speed wobbles. 3 to 4 wobbles legs spread out and by 5 I was headed down.

I couldn't recover. It shot me down to my left bike falling on me then I shooting out from it. Gloves and leather jacket saved my hand and left fore arm. I've never hit oil before so Iwas not ready at all. I wasn't going fast just normal left turn. prety much upright

My left foot got contorted in the pile resulting in ankle pain I had boots on but without ankle protection. I was going to buy a pair of Sidi's today from a really nice guy in Colorado that gave me a deal. Now I can't.

I popped up off the street maybe 30 people saw it. This is a heavily populated day labor area in the garment district of L.A. They all saw it. A few that could speak english came over to see if I needed help I had already muscled up the bike to standing. Everyone had the same look on their face same as mine what the hell just happened....

Ground down valve cover and system case, tore off mirror, signal bulb holder is gone. Upper fairing and dash panel edge ground down and my fog light disintegrated as that hit first.

I gathered up what I could get out of the street almost getting hit by cars.

Fired the bike back up and left. I had a hard time shifting with the bum ankle

and the temp started climbing to one bar below red.

I got home feeling terrible only to find the system case had been bumped out of it's groove and was riding on the tire now both front and back are wasted.

I hate to say this in a public forum but I just want to cry. I bought this bike so Lori and I could have good times exploring together freely and happily.

I am so sad and the worst part is she is not here. She is teaching at a summer camp 500 miles away. I don't know what to do. Should I tell her what happened or wait until she gets home this Sunday.

We had so many plans to go riding this summer now I have to find money somewhere to fix all this mess. I only have liability and our income is to be honest lower middle class. So every expense that is not accounted for hits us (me especially) where it hurts.

I feel like such a loser with a black cloud over my head. I just want us to be happy and bad things keep happening.

I am glad to be able to walk away and in the grand scheme of things this isn't bad like some others here have had happen but damn I just can't get ahead.

Thank you group

Tony

Tony,

Bummed to hear about your crash - but as long as YOU came out (mostly) unscathed, that's what matters, right? The bike is just 'stuff' and it CAN be replaced.

I'd wait until she gets home to tell Lori - otherwise she'll spend the rest of the weekend stressed out about it. (And she can't do anything in the meantime anyway, right?)

There are a number of sources of used parts - with a little creativity, you can manage to get it together and back on the road without TOO much expense.

Best,

Greg

RonStewart
I'd wait until she gets home to tell Lori - otherwise she'll spend the rest of the weekend stressed out about it. (And she can't do anything in the meantime anyway, right?)
Gregori is dead on right.

Sorry about your accident. I recommend resting quietly with two or three (not five or six) beers this evening. You'll feel better in time.

russell_bynum

bncry.gif

I'm really sorry to hear about that, Tony.

frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

If the valve cover didn't grind all the way though, it should be OK. If it did, and you're losing oil there, that'll need to be replaced.

With your fabrication skills, everything else should be easy enough to fix on the cheap. It might not be pretty, but it should get you back on the road so you can enjoy the bike this summer like you planned.

Check the thin aluminum plate that the footpegs mount to. The rear edge of that where the saddlebags attach is a common place that breaks in a tip-over.

Also, check the alignment of the upper fairing to ensure that the front subframe didn't get bent.

It sounds like this was pretty gentle, so hopefully it'll be cheap to get it going again. The RT's are expensive in tipovers due to all the plastic, but really, the structure is pretty solid, so if you don't mind it not looking pristine anymore, you can generally slap it together enough to keep riding.

Michael (leikam) had an old RT-P that looked like it had been run over by a freight train and then used for target practice at the gunnery range at Camp Pendleton...but it ran great and rode just fine.

Take care of that ankle, buddy.

As for Lori...she's a sweetheart...she'll understand. She'll be dissapointed, but she'll understand.

"I am glad to be able to walk away and in the grand scheme of things this isn't bad like some others here have had happen ..."

I think you summed it up pretty well. Very glad to hear your personal injuries were minor and your riding gear did it's job.

Your "dark cloud" will dissipate in time. Don't sweat it. I'm sure you've heard the old two kinds of riders adage. Those who have gone down and those who will go down.

Was there anything found on the pavement that would cause the tire to slip. I'd expect to see a color change or some visual clue that the pavement was different than the surrounding pavement.

I just spoke with her father who said the same thing. I just don't know if I can keep the sadness out of my voice when I speak whith her tonight. I know I couldn't do it with him when he called.

It's so hard. Riding takes so much more effort to be safe and alert but stupid things like oil and sand (sorry Russell) can take you out in a instant.

Then non riders can say "see I told you they were death traps!"

That wasn't the case with Lori's dad at this time but I felt guilt riddle my body as I told him. Ugh.

Mark,

I tried to look at the ground but cars and buses were trying to make my day even worse by hitting me. I was already downed so what ever it was didn't really matter anymore.

Dennis Andress

Tony,

Crashing sucks but you are okay and Lori wasn't with you when it happened. That's a lot to be grateful for. If you wait until Lori gets home to tell her you may then know what the bike needs and have a plan for doing it.

Dennis

Dennis, Yeah I'm thinking it over right now I taught myself how to plastic weld so I guess I will be doing some build up work on the upper fairing and as for the valve cover I may just have my friend throw on some alu weld beads that I can reshape into the proper dimensions then get both sides powered coated or just paint them. The system case really got to me. I could have fixed the front as they were colormatched to the bike but now that I ground down the back side with my tire I will need a whole new case.

I'm still not any happier but I am coming to grips with it.

It's a little less than 3 hours post and my knee which had a mild abrasion is now swollen to baseball-ish size. I guess that hit harder than I thought.

Tony, I have found that many of us on the board are in the lower income, blue collar workers.... when i hit the deer and it took out my front fender and piaa's lamps, i just knew i faced financal ruin frown.gif plus the fact that my 04' RT had a blemish.... well, with 69,000 on the ol girl and running top notch those blemishes are worn with pride, at least till beemer boneyard comes up with a piedmont red fender. Toys can be fixed, glad you are OK

Knifemaker

Sorry to hear about your bad day Tony. I hope you and the bike heal soon. With all the help available on this forum maybe your luck will change. The wife will understand but I would not wait too long to let her know you are ok (the vows do say for better or worse).

It's a little less than 3 hours post and my knee which had a mild abrasion is now swollen to baseball-ish size. I guess that hit harder than I thought.

Tony,

My healing thoughts go out to you - both your body and the emotional stress of today.

I'm sure you know about rest, ice, compression and elevation. 600mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for the swelling/inflammation. Rest might help with the latter too.

Take care,

Sylva

russell_bynum
I could have fixed the front as they were colormatched to the bike but now that I ground down the back side with my tire I will need a whole new case.

Give the local dealerships a call, they frequently have scarred, but still quite usable bits and pieces like system cases, case lids, etc. Also try beemerboneyard.

Les is more

Don't forget to place a Want to Buy in the Classifieds.

I'm very sorry about your get off, Tony. It's sometimes very hard to see around that wall of disappointment at first. Lori will be grateful that you're basically okay, you can be grateful that she wasn't on the bike and the hunks of metal and plastic can be patched together. It doesn't have to be pretty--just functional.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry to hear about the crash. I dropped my RT on a snowy roadside shoulder about 1 month after I bought it. Thought I had a problem, turned out I gave myself one. Had to hold the case on with bungee cords for the 150 mile ride home. All I can say is: EBAY. I have been laughed at many times for this, but I bought so many parts for my RT off that site, I feel as I almost replaced anything you could not bolt on. Cost me about 1/3 of what a dealer would cost too.

As someone else said, stuff can be repaired and replaced. What's important is that you made it through to ride another day. Keep the spirits up, heal well and know that things will look brighter.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Go ahead and have a good cry. No big deal there. You are relatively okay, the swelling will go down, the pride will heal and you'll be whole again.

There are some many good resources around...our classified here, IBMWR marketplace, Beemer Boneyard, Craig's List, eBay and others. The bike will be fine in no time. The bike is robust and easy to fix. Let us here help you, too. wave.gif

That sucks, your day was definitely worse than mine, sorry. Look after your knee, they can be a real nuisance if they are injured, DAMHIK.

Thanks everone. Before I noticed my knee balloning up I was in the garage doing the tear down. Upper cage is tweaked in about a half inch I'll tug that out. If I can get plastics cheap enough I'll respray them, I already had sourced out the Glasso paint months ago. What gets me is the luck first a expensive dog bite then this.

Oh and I debated if I should mention this on the forum but I got pulled over 10 minutes after leaving the 4.5 hour advanced rider course and got a ticket for cvc 21755 otherwise known as the write up for lane sharing. I haven't had a moving violation in 15 years. I was lucky number 1 as 15 other guys went by.

I admit I made a uninformed mistake riding within the wide spaced double double yellow lines after I was told it was wrong. The trooper even said it is a common mistake but since it was his regular beat I got the violation instead of a warning. I even showed him my completion from the course which he had never heard of before. MSF California funded training. Oh well.

russell_bynum

I admit I made a uninformed mistake riding within the wide spaced double double yellow lines after I was told it was wrong.

Good grief...everybody does that. It's the widest, safest place to split. What's funny is if you had been running along between the regular lanes with 2' LESS space between you and the other cars, it would have been just fine.

Man...you're definitely having a bad couple of months. frown.gif

Yeah bad times. I spoke with Lori on the phone and she instantly picked up the bad vibes. So I told her. She was supportive and happy I could walk (limp) away.

She had a very good point that all the things that have been happening to me lately were while she was out with friends (dog bite) or at summer camp. The other 2.

I guess it's official she keeps me out of trouble!

I tried to look at the ground but cars and buses were trying to make my day even worse by hitting me. I was already downed so what ever it was didn't really matter anymore.

Geez, that's depressing as all hell. On the bright side, this wasn't a crash at speed so you're relatively okay. You'll heal up. grin.gif

It would come as no surprise if it turned out that some POS car had burped up some fluid onto the road. I see little "gifts" at quite a few lights in the form of teensy little oil or antifreeze slicks, usually in the middle of the lane. Something I see all the time in the mornings when I ride the Beemer to work is the gray water that those roach coaches pour out whenever they accelerate or go into a turn.

Glad you are OK. Hope your knee is not serious.

Motorcycle is able to be repaired or replaced. You are not.

Now that you appear to have overcome the initial post accident depression, think about applying the same attitude as that displayed in your avatar to begin your physical, emotional, and mechanical recovery.

Good Luck! thumbsup.gif

Tony K,

A get off is never fun, but you limped a way and it doesn't seem that the knee needs serious medical attention. As we know the outcome could have been much worst. Take heart and pick yourself up and get going.

I'm glad you told your wife over the phone instead of waiting. As your life's partner she needs to know that you'll communicate the good and the bad in a timely matter. Yeah, she will worry about you, but she will be glad to be in the know. Take care of yourself and then go fix the bike. wave.gif

Oh, crap, Tony. I am so sorry to hear. In my group at the ERC we had a segment on controlling unexpected slides on unseen substances in Garment Districts. Didn't you see them bring in that bus of day laborors for the final effect? grin.gif

Now I feel bad that I didn't wait for you to ride back. Then the cop would have had to pick door number 1 or 2. I rode that same section thinking,"This carpool lane is HEAVEN!" Didn't know I wasn't supposed to. crazy.gif

Take it easy, keep the "how can I fight my way back from this" thinking, lean on Lori for support (glad you have that) and when you can, GET BACK ON! Never back away from it: the recovery process between the ears will take much longer.

Also, lean on this board. We're all here for you. I'll PM you my cell number if you need anything. I'm rather local.

Paul

Life's a b!tch sometimes!!

So sorry to hear about the low side. How frustrating.

Just fix it up enough to ride; worry about cosmetic stuff later (if at all).

You and Russell can comiserate about your low sides!! frown.gif

Glad to here that you survived. Man, physics is brutal! I know that my day on the ground will come too. BMW specs my 04RT as "Titan" Silver, but I think that my 04RT is really "Duct Tape" Silver. Replace what you can , repair what you can't and patch the rest. Ride and repeat.

russell_bynum
One question: how did you find yourself riding between double double yellow lines???

The carpool lane is separated from the regular lanes of traffic by a double set of double-yellow lines. There's often a gap of a foot or two between the two pairs of double-yellows and it is an ideal (though illegal) place to be when you're lane-splitting.

Hmph. What I do remember quite clearly in several places was that the carpool lane was separated from the non-carpool lanes by a single double yellow line. I haven't been down there in a while, so I'll just have to take note of this the next time around. (whenever that is) grin.gif

Michael (leikam) had an old RT-P that looked like it had been run over by a freight train and then used for target practice at the gunnery range at Camp Pendleton...but it ran great and rode just fine.

Russell's joking of course. It was a passenger train. But he is right that these are pretty tough bikes.

Let me know if you'd like a hand with anything. A trip up to Pasadena's no problem.

russell_bynum

Russell's joking of course. It was a passenger train. But he is right that these are pretty tough bikes.

Let me know if you'd like a hand with anything. A trip up to Pasadena's no problem.

The first time I saw your bike (at Sean's Tech Daze), I thought there was no way it got there under it's own power. grin.gif Then you made a chopper out of it and I couldn't decide if I wanted to throw up, or cheer. thumbsup.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif (I eventually decided on the latter.)

That bike definitely proved that these are tough machines at heart. If you've seen any of Tony's other bikes, you'll know he's got the skills and the imagination to make things work that just...well...shouldn't work.

I'm confident that the Graphite Beast will be back out burning up the asphalt and wooing women in no time. cool.gif

Thanks Michael for the offer to help and Russell on my bodgering skills.

thumbsup.gif

Now if I just get this pesky painful limp I have developed worked out maybe I could actually get down the stairs to the garage and get to work!

Archived