IGNORED

R1100RT center stand

bluepassat

bluepassat

I had my center stand sand blasted as it was rusted and pitted, anyone got any recommendations of what make of spray paint to use? And should I use primer first

Thanks in advance

duckbubbles

Yes, prime it before it can start rusting. Have you considered powder coating? Do you have the time?

Frank

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

With a 95 RT and your admittance that the centerstand was rusted, you should seriously consider reinforcing the foot tang to stand connection. A number of people have had that part fail, resulting in (usually) dropping the bike, often on the right side. I have had two centerstands fail. Both were replaced under warranty, including the scratched plastic bits.

I had my fabricators cut off the foot tang, drill a hole in the stand and insert a solid rod to tie the two pieces together. Apply a liberal amount of weld bead and you're good to go! All it cost me was a case of good beer. grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
With a 95 RT and your admittance that the centerstand was rusted, you should seriously consider reinforcing the foot tang to stand connection. A number of people have had that part fail, resulting in (usually) dropping the bike, often on the right side. I have had two centerstands fail. Both were replaced under warranty, including the scratched plastic bits.

I had my fabricators cut off the foot tang, drill a hole in the stand and insert a solid rod to tie the two pieces together. Apply a liberal amount of weld bead and you're good to go! All it cost me was a case of good beer. grin.gif

Mine broke a year ago; dropped the bike, no damage (thanks to engine guard cool.gif). Replaced with new, and noticed that the new stand has a longer reinforcment gusset on the foot lever. If the OP isn't up for welding work, a new stand was about $150 and will probably hold up better than the old one.

Archived