IGNORED

Ear Buds, Kind Of.......

Redbrick

I was shown a set of earphones that were about the size of a 50 cent piece and very thin for mounting inside helmets..Don't know what they were....Thinking about getting an iPod or something for entertainment but don't think regular buds will be comfortable in my Arai.....

Suggestions on systems and listening devices appreciated...I'm a newby to iPods, MP3's, etc and have no electronic farkles on the bike........

Thanks.....

Phil........Redbrick

Phil, here are a few questions to ask yourself so that you don't end up with an obsolete decision:

1) Do you want to speak with a passenger? You'll need an intercom (including microphone).

2) Do you want to speak with other riders? You'll need to add a radio.

3) Do you want good quality sound? If it doesn't matter that much, helmet speakers will do the job. Otherwise you'll want something in the ear.

4) Will you want other audio sources besides music? That might include a radar detector.

5) Are you willing to run power to the bike, or is battery power fine?

Anwser those questions for us and we'll be able to guide you.

I've had all types of sound gadgets inside my helmet, previously connected to an Autocom. At one time I had intercom with passenger, music, cell phone, GPS - all hooked up. Then I ditched the whole system and now just listen to my Ipod Nano, initially thru helmet speakers - but needed twin volume boosters as the speed went up to 65-75, and still could barely hear. I've always worn ear plugs, and had a couple sets custom molded for me.

A few months ago, in prep for a cross country ride, I got the ultimate sound setup. Went to a local audiologist (found on the Westone site) and they fitted me for custom molded ear plugs with built-in sound. Now I can listen to the music at a much lower volume, have all the wind noise blocked out, and don't need to touch the volume as the speed goes up to 70 and beyond. No other system is even close.

$250 and well worth it. Stuart

Thanks.....

I want to have some music/radio and possibly monitor a Valentine detector..No talking to passenger or other bikes....Got the message about the ear buds being necessary to block out wind and other noise as opposed to speakers...I'll try the buds I bought today on a Walkman radio during a ride to the Sierra's starting tomorrow...

Don't understand question #5 "run power to the bike"...Assume you are asking if I'll take power from the BMW plug or set up a fuse block....Probably be best to do the latter particularly if I get a V1....

Thanks for the responses...Can always count on somebody to have experience with any issue re: bikes...

Phil.......Redbrick

Phil, based on your responses, I'd go to Autocom's site and take a look at the Easi-PLUS (under "Products"). That's the cheapest, entry-level model. It'll do all you want...and allow you to do other things later. It's a very quality unit.

I'd just run it off the built-in battery to keep it simple.

Knifemaker

The best ear buds I have been able to find are made by Sony they are small and with a under armor head band on do not create any problem with taking my Arai helment on and off. The sound from these ear buds is fantastic. The ear buds retail for $49.95 and I bought them at Radio Shak. They also come with different inserts which allow you to custom fit in your ear canal. And come with carrying case.

Ear buds are fine as long as you don't wear ear plugs, which I do!

So, get the $10-$15 set of ear phones that clip over each ear individually and use those. The good thing about this is that the tone comes out much richer, even with cheap ear pieces.

I don't run an intercom, so that's not a problem on my side. Just a 2 gig MP3 player in my pocket running into the ear piece. Clean, small, cheap.

Also, to adjust or fine tune the comfort level, one can add small cotton squares/patches inside of the ear mold on the helmet to bring them comfortably up against your ear. Really makes a difference in the sound levels.

Yell if you need a picture or two.

AD

Disregard all of this if you must have an intercom.

Do try it first before investing a lot of money... you might even find you don't care for the distraction. I rarely ride with music for that reason.

Do try it first before investing a lot of money... you might even find you don't care for the distraction. I rarely ride with music for that reason.

I guess I should add that I usually do not listen to music or radio unless I'm headed out on a decent trip.

AD

+1..

I enjoy my shuffle when not riding with er6i's.

"Do try it first before investing a lot of money... you might even find you don't care for the distraction. I rarely ride with music for that reason."

Thanks to Sebastian and Rags.....

I plugged in a Walkman with good Sony ear buds and got back on the freeway in Palmdale heading for the Sierra's...I hadn't gone 3 miles and turned it off...Not for me....Distracting and noisy....Only investment was ear buds..

Phil........Redbrick

Archived