IGNORED

Substitute Topcase?

Philip Neff

Philip Neff

I have a 2005 R 1200RT. I purchased the large top case. It is heavy, but it works. However there are times I would like to have a small or at least lighter case. The rack that the case sits on seems to be an odd shape and size, so that it is difficult to use bungy cords. The BMW small top case of course will fit, but it costs something like $400. Probably GIVI makes a case that will fit.

Anyone found a good nylon bag that will fit and stay on the back rack? Or does anyone have some other solution to carrying small loads on the back?

Philip,

If you buy a Givi topcase, you will need a plastic 'adaptor' which is screwed onto the BMW topcase rack. Then, if you wish to use your large BMW topcase, you are 'up the creek' and will have to remove your adaptor plate which is a PITA.

I personally find the Givi topcase looks better than the BMW model but the adaptor plate kind of spoils the look of the BMW topcase rack, IMHO. thumbsup.gif

I checked out the BMW small top case today. Looks like it is the charm for the F650 or R12ST but a queer add-on to the RT IMHO. Also, by the time you buy the lock set and back rest the price gets high enough to convince one the BMW large top case is a no-brainer buy-choice. BUT, the large BMW case is, well, large. For every day use it is over kill.

So will BMW come out with a mid-size case next year?

John Bentall

BMW intends to the small topcase to house 1 BMW helmet, the large topbox for 2 BMW helmets - and the prospective mid-size case would be somewhere in between? The development costs and worldwide distribution inventory holding costs would make the economics dubious.

I have the large top box. Some have chosen to mask its "largeness" very effectively and prettily by having the top painted to match the rest of the bike.

IMHO the small top box looks great on the RT as well.

I went with the Givi kit for my ST that way I can use the 52ltr for two up riding or a 33ltr for one up riding.

Over my trip (ill get pics later) I dont think i want a top case, I think I can hold more without the top case. and use soft luggage. Like my LAPTOP grin.gif

BMW intends to the small topcase to house 1 BMW helmet, the large topbox for 2 BMW helmets - and the prospective mid-size case would be somewhere in between? .... I have the large top box. Some have chosen to mask its "largeness" very effectively and prettily by having the top painted to match the rest of the bike.

1. wish I could buy a BMW helmet here in Canada

2. top box for the 1150RT looks like a good mid-size choice but I can't see how to fit it.

3. me bike is already silver so painting the large top box for a visually smaller image 'don work. frown.gif

John Bentall
BMW intends to the small topcase to house 1 BMW helmet, the large topbox for 2 BMW helmets - and the prospective mid-size case would be somewhere in between? .... I have the large top box. Some have chosen to mask its "largeness" very effectively and prettily by having the top painted to match the rest of the bike.

1. wish I could buy a BMW helmet here in Canada

2. top box for the 1150RT looks like a good mid-size choice but I can't see how to fit it.

3. me bike is already silver so painting the large top box for a visually smaller image 'don work. frown.gif [/quote

I agree that the bike top box doesn't do the bike any favors visually.

2 different size Givi boxes is an interesting idea.

Philip Neff

The message above by bmwscoot answered my question. The soft bag he references looks great and my local dealer has it in stock. I plan to use that bag whenever possible.

Thanks to you, bmwscoot.

Phil Neff

The message above by bmwscoot answered my question. The soft bag he references looks great and my local dealer has it in stock. I plan to use that bag whenever possible.

Thanks to you, bmwscoot.

Phil Neff

Phil, you are very welcome! thumbsup.gif

The bag is a great addition. I hope to be able to use mine again when they can get my ESA fixed. smirk.gif

And as you notice by my reference, George (waaaaay over across the pond) brought this to the board's attention...Thank You, George!

Jeff, well many thanks. It was just one of those things where you see something and wonder if it will work. I was at the dealer they had a K12R and R12RT side by side, they were about to fix the tail pack to the K12, when I whipped it off them and tried it on the RT.

I thought it looked designed for the bike. So as we all get so much information on bmwst, I thought I would pass it on thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived