Fuel Gauge Question

JustKrusen

JustKrusen

Hello everyone. I'm another newbie to this forum.

I just bought a new R1200RT several weeks ago. I have just 700 miles on it so far. It's going in for it's first service on Saturday. So far I like the bike very much but the seat needs help. I will use this bike as my one up rider mainly for trips to the mountains around NC & GA. My wife still likes our '02 GL1800 (with over 80,000) better so we'll use it for all two up trips for now.

My first question is about the fuel gauge. The RT is suppose to hold 7.1 gallons. I ran it till the computer said I had 5 miles to go till empty and the gauge had disappeared. When I filled up it only took 5.5 gallons. That tells me I still had over 1.5 gallons left in the tank or about 65 more miles. I had over 260 miles on the odo when I filled up.

Is that normal?

Can the gauge be adjusted?

Do I ignore it and just keep riding?

Thanks, looking forward to learning a lot about Beemers.

Ed Kruse "Just Kruse'n"

Naples, FL

GWRRA #124374

AMA Member

'06 R1200RT Red

'02 GL1800 ABS Silver

duckbubbles

Hi, Ed-

What you saw on your fuel guage is pretty normal for as delivered bikes, I have found. Yes, the system can be adjusted by the dealer (if they know what they are doing). The bike should be as empty as possible. I think they reset the zero fuel indication, but I am not sure. It worked for a friend of mine.

Frank

That 65 miles is what used to be your "reserve" range. That kind of range was fine when your only indication of when you were getting low was that you ran out of gas so needed a good range to get to a gas station. Now with a guage to tell you your fuel level on a continuous basis, having a 65 mile reserve range after empty is stupid IMHO.

I believe it can be set differently by the dealer. What they need is the exact amount of fuel in the tank you want the reserve indication to occur at. Once that is accomplished they can set that point with the tester as the new reserve mark. Like someone else mentioned, take it in with the amount you want to mark or have them drain the fuel and refill what you want. They will probably charge extra for the draining and refilled process.

The new R1200 series uses a hot film fuel level sensor. It is good with no moving parts, but there is nothing to adjust physically.clap.gif

So if I understand the default fuel gauge factory setting correctly ... ...

Zero fuel indication does not mean zero fuel in the tank.

Zero fuel indicates you are at the beginning of some 'reserve' quantity of remaining fuel.

And, when the fuel gauge shows xx miles (km) to empty, what is really incidating is xx miles (km) the start of some 'reserve' quantity of fuel. This 'reserve' quantity can be set by a knowledgable dealer to some level other than the factory default.

If the above is correct, what is the factory default for reserve in gallons or litres?

I don't know what the factory setting is. They tend to error on the positive side so there are no issues with riders running out without warning. Having said that if you have been following posts on this subject it appears most everyone has between 1 and 1 1/2 gallons when the range indicator shows 0 miles to go or no indicated fuel on the fuel guage. I never paid much attention to fuel guages anyway (re-enforced by the Harley's I had) and always reset the trip odometer at fill up. With the RT I know I can cover at least 295 miles on normal riding conditions, so I base fuel ups on that. As I get to know the bike better I will learn what various readings on the guage mean in terms of gallons remaining. Only then will I pay much attention to the guage and calculated miles remaining. smile.gif

duckbubbles

Hi, Black-

I don't think BMW intends that the countdown to zero should be the start of your reserve. The flashing gas pump with countdown mileage IS reserve. It is just that the setting of where it begins is not correct.

My ST runs completely out of gas 10-12 miles after the countdown goes to zero. Filling it to the bottom of the filer neck at that point, it takes 5.5 gallons- what the book says is the capacity. That is how it was set from the factory. A friends ST would go 75 miles past Zero! The dealer reset it and he's a lot happier now.

Frank

My BMW master tech (an independent) said the dealer should 1) empty the tank 2) add a measured amount of fuel, say 4 litres, or whatever quantity you wish 3) then, using the BMW diagnostic computer, "tell" the bike that that's the point at which "reserve" fuel level is reached.

Archived