IGNORED

Clutch alignment

jojo

According to BMW, you should keep all the clutch components aligned (pressure & friction plates, spring and flywheel) as they are "balanced" by the manufacturer.

What if you replace these components with new ones? is there a mark on each of the new parts or do you simply put them together without worrying about alignment?

Thanks,

George

John Dickens

You can't keep the friction plate aligned. Once you pull in the clutch the friction plate and flywheel rotate independently.

When you change the clutch components you don't replace the flywheel as well so any alignment there will be lost too.

so since BMW balance the clutch components to avoid vibrations caused by the rotating parts, i'm likely to get unusual vibrations after a clutch replacement? frown.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
so since BMW balance the clutch components to avoid vibrations caused by the rotating parts, i'm likely to get unusual vibrations after a clutch replacement? frown.gif

For the 1100RT (and the 1150 too, I imagine), the two pressure plates have balance marks on them. IIRC the flywheel should have a similar balance mark, and the three parts should be oriented during assembly so that their marks are about 120 degrees apart from each other.

FWIW when I did mine a couple of years ago, the marks didn't line up at exactly 120 degree intervals, but things have been fine for the last 40K miles.

What do the balance marks look like? I just ordered a Clutch kit and noticed a red paint mark on the pressure plate but not on the other components.

What I noticed on the last clutch that I replaced was that there were no marks on the assembly, pressure plates and friction plate. What I did notice was that each component was individually balanced (for lightening purposes). The individual pieces did not come in a kit per se, but they all fit together and there have been no issues with the clutch being out of balance.

Upon further review....I noticed that the two pressure plates do have white mark on the side. I'm assuming that if I can find a similar mark on the flywheel that I will line the three parts up with the three marks 120 degrees from each other.

Archived